Clicking noise from alternator or belt | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Clicking noise from alternator or belt

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, May 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    After 30 000 miles my chain had no stretch at all not a millimeter, which makes 'it' bombproof and far outlasting any of the other components in the timming case such as tensioner spring, guides etc but like you say maybe the whole setup there isnt such a great thing compared to the earlier engine that is very interesting to hear.
    Would be good to hear more about the dry sump v wet sump possibly another thread???
    Regards
    Alastair

2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #27 rustytractor, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions as to what the clicking sound was, thankfully the incessant rain has finally stopped and I managed to get the 400 out today and try the WD40 test.

I'm very happy (and relieved) to report that a tiny spray directly onto the belt as it ran over the alternator pulley stopped the noise instantly so i'm 99.99932% certain that it's just the belt which is the problem.

Next thing to try is some belt dressing to see if the problem totally goes away if the belt is returned to a more supple state.

So in my 5 months of ownership the problems that have presented themselves are almost nothing and my blue 400 continues to defy the old "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari" adage.

God I love this car!

3. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Excellent good stuff.
    Regards
    Alastair

4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
  5. peder412

peder412 Rookie

Dec 27, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peder Hansen
    I have had the clicking noise from my 412 engine for years. Sometimes it sounds more some less when I start the motor from cold. It always stops after a few minutes. When I read Alistair Houston’s solution – spray WD40 on the alternator belt – I thought worth trying. Today I started the engine and the clicking started as normal. I spayed WD40 on the belts for the upper and lower alternator and within seconds the clinking was gone – fantastic. Hear for yourself.

http://youtu.be/gHVYGDvj1oA

The video is recorder just before and after the WD40 spray. Thanks to Alistair. The spray worked for now but perhaps its time to change the belts.

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    oh Alastair, you have so many male admirers just because of your knowledge of lubrication.

Bit worrying really....

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Peder, looks like we both had a good weekend and now have one less thing to worry about thanks to Alastair!

8. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

9. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Russell , Peder good stuff
    That was a tip from the REAL genious of Phil at Roseneath Engineering when I had the same.
    Peder as a Swede your river Biske owes me a Salmon , Lax as I lost one there estimate over 20 kilos + we had it under the net! and on for 40 minutes. I have been back twice since still no luck so planning a Ferrari fishing trip up Norwegian coast and into Sweden at some point. Beautifull country.
    Regards
    Alastair