Clay Regazzoni death | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Clay Regazzoni death

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by flyingboa, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Very sad news indeed. I have a very big collection of photos of Clay. He always looked so thoughtful out of the car. A true gentleman i believe!!

RIP Clay

2. 505T

505T Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Very sad, I admired him greatly and is the sort of character that makes fans out of us.

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Very, very sad. With his looks and swagger, he personified the F1 racer of the 70s. RIP.

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Doesn't he still hold the 'Ring lap record for an F1 car? T2, I think...

5. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    very sad news.

condoleances to his family.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

RIP Clay........

7. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I was there too but I was just a kid and didn't know what was going on. I sat in a few of the cars before the race (they would NEVER let you do that these days!) but I have no memory of seeing Clay or maybe....even sitting in HIS car? Two things I remember about that race, getting sick from the exhaust fumes and getting a sunburn.

8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006

9. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
  10. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #60 Boudewijn, Dec 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    RIP dear Clay. You will never be forgotten, a real gentleman.

12. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    I met him twice, once at the Geneva car exhibition and once in the Ferrari Factory, very nice gentleman, really.

And after that, I send him some pictures to sign..... send all my pictures back signed, dated them from when they were taken, and enclosed some more pictures from him ....

He was one of the most friendly drivers I met, and,
    believe it or not, I'm crying....

I'll miss you Clay, you were a GREAT man, Adieu.

13. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was there as well, sitting in the grandstand that was up on the freeway ramp overlooking the hairpin; from where I was, I couldn't see the accident, but I could hear it, as Clay's car actually went by below us.

I'm not sure Zunino's Brabham really limited Clay's options; when a brake pedal unexpectedly falls off in a heavy braking zone, I don't think he could even have spun the car. The story as I heard it at the time was that he intentionally sideswiped the Brabham to scrub off some speed; very quick thinking! There was a tire wall in front of the concrete but it obviously wasn't thick enough; while leaving the circuit later you could see that the impact had actually moved the concrete, and that Clay was lucky just to be alive.

R.I.P. Clay. You were a good "soldier" for the Scuderia, and a great helper to others who wanted to drive after paralysis.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One thing I don't understand: I thought the A1 was a divided motorway, including the area where the accident happened. Did one of the vehicles cross the median?

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #66 tifosi12, Dec 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I followed F1 loosely as a child, but it was ultimately Clay's performance at the British Grand Prix in 1979 that got me hooked: All of a sudden there was a Swiss compatriote leading a GP! I couldn't believe my eyes. Soon thereafter I was at my first GP in Hockenheim where I got my only chance to see him drive. Williams dominated that GP and ended up with an easy 1-2 victory for Alan Jones and Clay Regazzoni.
    Sadly it wasn't much later that I had to witness on live TV from Long Beach his F1 career ending crash. The helicopter shots were horrifying.

Unfortunately the world of F1 and Clay split up. Media lost interest in him and he became a bit of a loner who didn't miss a chance to berate the modern F1 and its drivers. Whereas his compatriot Marc Surer (who had much less success in F1) managed to stay in the spotlight to this day.

PS: I read a surprising comment in Roger Benoit's ulogy for Clay: He stated that Rega lived most of the time in the US in recent years. Anybody knows where?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It didn't help that Long Beach had little run off areas and as a street circuit is all but concrete. It didn't help that another car was parked in the run off area, but quite frankly the ultimate blame is on Ensign and Teddy Yip for putting a car together that simply looses its brake pedal.
    But in a sense Clay knew what he was getting himself into when going to Ensign, they were the absolute backmarkers and bottom feeders at the time.

But Clay was never afraid of taking risks, which is why he continued racing as a paraplegic in the Paris-Dakar. The man had gutts.

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    R.I.P. Clay.

20. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    You'll be missed. R.I.P Clay

21. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Very, very sad news..... RIP Mr. Ragazzoni, you will be missed...

22. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The first time I saw Clay Regazzoni was in F2 in the early 60s when he was driving one of the Tecnos from the Pederzani brothers. His style was quite aggressive and erratic on the track, but fast enough for him to become European champion: he was well above the rest of the field in F2 in these days.

When he raced in F1 for Ferrari, his driving was much more composed and his style quite polished.
    He was reputed to have recommended Lauda to Ferrari, having partnered him for a year at BRM. To be honest Lauda's record until then was almost inexistant and there was not much to plead in his favour.
    When Lauda became de Montezemolo's favourite at the Scuderia and drew all the talents around him (at bit like Schumacher) Regga accepted it and carried on helping him: a real team player.

His career spiraled downwards when Ferrari relinquished him (which was a great injustice in my book), and he moved from team to team. Frank Williams is another one who owns Regga a lot. At a time when the Saudi sponsors were becoming impatient from the lack of success, Clay won the British GP and put Williams in the winners circle. To thank him, Williams let him go...

It's a tragedy that Regga had to finish at Ensign in an under-funded team. It must have been hard to swallow then, but he never lost his enthusiam for racing. We know the rest...

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    A good man with tremendous heart and strength. In this sense alone, a hero.
    Blessings for him, his family and friends.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    People in Switzerland are now wondering whether the accident wasn't caused by a heart attack. After all it is hard to believe that a guy who drove much more dangerous routes and cars would loose it in a situation like this.