Classics On The Green 2017 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Classics On The Green 2017

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 360gtracer, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Hey guys, sorry! Didn’t mean to let this die :) I’m actually toying with the idea of creating an event down this way. There is a 1920’s Italian renaissance style home on the river at a golf course in Suffolk VA. It’s called the Obici House and would make an ideal setting for an Italian/sports/exotic type show. I know a number of people in the hospitality and restaurant biz down here, and I’m sure I can set up some meal and lodging packages. I already have a few folks interested as potential sponsors.

I know it would be a hike for some, but it will be something new :) I think it would do well as it would be pretty unique in my area.

FerrariFR33458 likes this.
  2. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Classics On The Green update - with a new venue still unsecured, the Classics On The Green show is again off the table for 2018. That's the bad news. The good news is that the new VA governor is apparently somewhat of a "car guy" (who'da thunk it?) and has invited the Central Virginia British Car Club (host club for COTG) to put the show on in 2019 on the Virginia State House grounds in Richmond. This should be a gorgeous venue - the State House stood in for the US Capitol in the Steven Speilberg movie, "Lincoln" . So that's what we're working towards - right now. If anything else changes (again), I'll post it here. Thanks very much.

gp

3. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    In 2009, 2010, and 2011, the Williamsburg Winery held a Friday-Sunday "Ferraris on the Vine" event. I attended in 2009 and 2010 and really enjoyed it. Although it is somewhat removed from the Richmond area, you might consider contacting the winery about hosting a multi-marque one day show.

toggie likes this.
  4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Always loved that event. I think there was some strangeness that went on with FOTV, hence the decision to can the event (though the official cause was something along the lines of “insensitivity” due to a downturn in the economy around the sequestration in...’12, was it?). I don’t really know and can’t rightly comment but it seemed odd. So, it may be an uphill climb but hey - worth a shot!

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Also - I’m sure some of you saw that the Air and Auto Classic at the VA beach airport is off for 2018. :-( Events are dropping like flies!!

6. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Classics On The Green remains on hiatus, and it's seeming more and more permanent as time goes by. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the creative forces behind Classics is now teamed with the Richmond Region AACA to help organize their annual "Car Show and Swap Meet". This year's show will be held on Saturday, June 22, 2019 at St. Joseph's Villa in Richmond, corner of Parham Road and US Rt 1 (aka Brook Road). The show is open to all cars 25 years and older, but newer cars will have a class of their own (possibly multiple classes - TBD). They just may be judged differently (also TBD).

The *really* good news is that it was announced - *Officially* - just last evening that for the 2020 show, Ferrari will be the featured marque. We hope that those of you who enjoyed partaking in the Ferrari feature at Classics in 2014 will also come to Richmond in 2020 for this show. No date is set yet, but it will *probably* be Saturday, June 20, 2020.

We hope to see you there - this June and next!

-gp

7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks for your work on it and I hope it recovers. Even if an SUV class is added for Psuvs, Lsuvs, and gast... an Fsuv.
    It was such a nice event over the years. For once we were going to be around in September so we were planning to attend. Guess we’ll find other things to do.

8. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    The Ferrari feature for the 2020 Richmond AACA show is moving forward. I just spoke with the "chief cook and bottle washer" for the show tonight, and he's very interested in inviting the Ferrari community to the show next June. Again, *probably* the 20th, but as that's also Father's Day weekend , it may move back to the 13th - time will tell.

But for now, please consider this show for your event calendar next year. Especially if you own an older Ferrari and would be willing to bring it out for this special event.

Please let me know if any questions.

Thanks!

e46m3 likes this.
  9. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    In addition to the Richmond AACA show next June, there is another "Classics"-style show this coming September - Saturday With The Classics. Details as follows:

Date: Saturday, September 28
    Time: 1-6:30pm
    Location: Good Shepherd United Methodist Church, 9155 Hungary Road, Henrico, VA 23294
    Website: http://eventbrite.com (search "Saturday with the Classics")

The show is open to any car/truck/motorcycle, 1980 and older. Registration cut-off is September 18. Cost is $25, benefitting the church. Food and ice cream will be available on-site.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hope to see you there!

10. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Hello again! We are moving forward with a Ferrari feature for next year's Richmond AACA car show. In fact, we're going a step further and calling it (in honor of the movie which just opened today) a "Ford v. Ferrari" feature!

Obviously, we're inviting Ferraris of all shapes and sizes, but if anyone knows of any Shelby Fords (Mustangs, Cobras - prefer original to later replicas - etc.), they would make great additions to the display. And if anyone can secure an authentic GT-40 or mid-60's vintage Ferrari racer, I'm sure we can arrange a "finder's fee" of some sort! ;)

The show will be Saturday, June 20, 2020 on the grounds of St. Joseph's Villa in Richmond (corner of Parham Road and US Rt 1, aka Brook Road - about 1/2 mile west of I-95 at the Parham Road exit, Exit 83B).

Watch this space, and feel free to ask any questions here.

Look forward to seeing you there!

gp

11. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    P.S. - I've asked about a "high end" SUV class, as some of you inquired about way back at the beginning of this thread. It's probably not in the AACA "swim lane" (given AACA focus on vehicles 25 years and older), but they might try to come up with something.

Keep asking!

Thanks again.

gp

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Make the SUV class 15 years and older? My beloved '06 Cayenne Turbo S, the only SUV you'll find around with 3M film front to back, would qualify in a year anyway.

13. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Well, it seems to be official now - Classics On The Green is over. Done. Fini. Kaput. While that may seem like a sad thing, the winery was really making it difficult (impossible, actually) for us to continue with the Classics show there.

But! As I've mentioned before, the creative minds behind Classics has joined forces with the Richmond Region AACA (RRAACA). Next show is 6/20/2020, with a Ferrari feature. The location (St. Joseph's Villa in Richmond, corner of US Rt 1 and Parham Road, about 1/2 mile west of I-95) is scenic and easy to get to. And the feature is expanding to "Ford vs Ferrari" - with several very cool Shelby/Ford cars expected to be in attendance.

If you have a special car that fits the bill and you'd like to display it, let us know - we'd love to give you a special spot. All other Ferraris, 1995 or older (in keeping with AACA's 25 years or older rule) are welcome to be entered for judging. *ANY* Ferrari, regardless of age, can be entered for display.

Questions? Ask away!

Hope to see you there. In the meantime, here's a link to see past shows:

http://www.richmondaaca.com/carshows.htm

Thanks!

gp

E60 M5 likes this.
  14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sad to hear. That was such a good show on the James then at the vineyard.

Thanks for working on this and making something happen with the AACA. Hope it’s successful at St. Joseph's Villa.