Classiche Certification- new rules | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Classiche Certification- new rules

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rosey, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Classiche still has a long way to go IMO.

Firstly there is no consistency, Ferrari changes it at will. I think they aren't even sure at this point how to make it work. All they are sure of is it is an additional revenue stream. :)

The process itself is questionable. All they do is have your local dealer take a specific set of pictures/checklist and submit them. That leaves a lot of room for foolery and error. I know of instances where "borrowed" exhausts were fitted for the process. They really only focus on the basic mechanical items so there really is no "plus" other than making sure your serials match. I went through it with a Dino. It is also a process in my experience that is painfully slow and frustrating. It took over two years for the DIno!!!!

I have also seen a Daytona that was bought because it had "the book" and it was a total POS that needed a minimum of $300k to be brought up to standards. This was about five years ago so maybe it has changed?

I do think that for it to work they should raise their standards to judge condition per the current concours guidelines. Then it makes sense to renew on a yearly basis to serve as an approval of "worth". Otherwise it's questionable at best IMO.

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's the exact problem I was referring to..... And I'd put money on some owners taking advantage of that.

HotShoe likes this.
  3. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Unfortunately long ago. I‘ve paid more than 6k Euro for my GT4.

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If only classiche was restricted to cars like yours I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Rosey likes this.
  5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It looks too much the same
    I paid 2200 euro + 22%IVA one year ago (February 2019) for another 208 turbo, for a total amount of 2684 euro including IVA

ciao

7. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I've paid 1000 Euro entry fee and 4000 Euro for the certification, both + 19% IVA in 2019 for my 308 GT4 #15344. So a little less than 6000 Euro.

8. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Hi all,

I will try to find a mid-ground in the conversation.

I believe the classic car community needs a standard terminology when assessing the originality, authenticity and condition of a vehicle

This a terminology some restorers and model experts are starting to use

• Original. A vehicle or vehicle's component is original when it is the same piece to the atom level which left the factory production line.
    • Authentic. A vehicle or vehicle's component is authentic then it is a reproduction made with the same tools, material and guidelines used during the original period of production
    • Condition. Means the level of deterioration caused by time, elements, usage, etc
    Notice then that Original equals to Authentic, but Authentic doesn’t equal to Original

Some examples to illustrate the definitions:

• The Bugatti T22 Brescia rescued from the bottom of Lago Maggiore in Ascona is 100% Original but has a 0% condition due to his almost 100 years under the water
    • A ‘time capsule’ vehicle properly stored or in a museum will be 100% original and 100% condition
    • A Ferrari 250 GTO raced in Goodwood sadly crashed and then repaired would be 80% original and 100% authentic. Assuming 20% of the car was destroyed during the accident
    • A vehicle who retains original engine and chassis but got her transmission replaced with a period correct one we could say is 66% original and 100% authentic
    • My GTB retains original body, chassis, engine, transmission, paint and interior. However some elements like the spare wheel and 14” wheels are not the original but period correct. Fuse box, Bezels and trunk strut are reproductions. So we could say she is today 80% Original and 95% authentic

I believe a standard like this one, or equivalent, across classic car community and certification authorities would help a lot

What do you think?

Wish you a nice weekend

Julio

Martin308GTB likes this.
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #134 Martin308GTB, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Hi Julio,

a perfect proposal. We have it already across the classic car community. When I order a value expertise for my classic car insurance, things like you are listing, are mentioned in the expertise. The quantification is not so accurate though. But it's close.
    In the end there are reasonable costs of around €300.00 - 400.00.
    But o.k. I still have no red book covers wrapped around the paperwork.

Best
    Martin