"Classic Ferrari" cutoff | FerrariChat

"Classic Ferrari" cutoff

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Mar 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I registered Brenda, my '83 400i, for this year's Concorso Italiano, an offshoot of the Monterey Historics weekend. I just got an email with the same info as in this web page: http://www.concorso.com/broadcasts/march-2-2012-ferrari.html . It concerns a special area to be reserved for examples of the "Classic Ferrari." I'm not the most knowledgeable about the Ferrari lineup of the 70's. But I am wondering, in general, what is the cutoff between the Classic Ferrari and the newer ones? Concorso Italiano says "To qualify the Ferrari must have been built prior to, and including the 246 GTS Dino." Looking at the timeline in Wikipedia, the last year for that model was 1974. That cutoff captures the first year of the 365 GT4 2+2, two years of the 308 GT4 2+2, and two years of the 365 GT4 BB. But I'm guessing that these three models are not considered Classic Ferraris. Is that about right?

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yep

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

What a joke that the 365 bb is not considered classic worthy yet a Dino is!

That's a total LOL.

If anything, there should be a periodic change in what denotes classic. In the world of antique furniture it is 100 yrs. cars...30 yrs?

Thoughts on why I am so far off the reservation in my thinking?

Pcb

4. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Should be all Ferrari's built before August 14, 1988. :)

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I think it is non-angular Ferraris + the 365GTC/4 (think the Fchat vintage section + Dino section). In my opinion, this cutoff is a bit outdated and, I suspect, pretty soon 'classic' will include everything through '85.

Regards,

Art S.

6. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    A lot depends on the age of the eyes doing the beholding. I would expect a "Magnum P.I." era 308 GTS looks like a really old car to anyone 30 or younger.

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    any carburated Ferrari should be considered 'classic' at this point...
    the fact that the last carbed cars coincided with the end of the 70's is all the reason i need to call them 'classic'.

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Typically "classic Ferrari" is defined as cars designed while Enzo owned the company, i.e. before the sale to Fiat in 1969 = so this inlcudes Daytona & 246.
    The inclusion of the Dino 246 is controversial as it was not badged as a Ferrari.

Another definition is: carburettor, front engine V12 Ferrari's, in wich case the 365 GT4 2+2 and 365 GTC/4 also make the cut.

Fiat era cars: 308's, Boxer's etc.
    Montezemolo era: 355 onwards

M

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i really should have added that you guys all make great points and i couldn't agree more...which is no surprise, as i hold Pete and Art in the highest regard...
    but i think MCIMINO has also made a great point here...maybe that should be the new threshold between 'classic' and 'modern'...it makes perfect sense to me.

and WRXMIKE, while i agree with everything you said, it leaves a bit of a hole where the 348 and Mondial T are concerned and, inspite of their reputation, they're a total blast to drive !

i'd also like to add that i miss GGrunstra...

10. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Well I am sorry guys but the answer is...

"What I consider is a classic."

Tis in the eye of the beholder.
    Some are just old cars, maybe nice old cars, some are classic. All relative.