Classic Auto Sales in Omaha | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Classic Auto Sales in Omaha

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by THE RED MENACE, Nov 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm also kind of leary about the Enzo, F40, and 288GTO. Although I have seen the Mondial, 328, and the 512BB in town. Then again it would be fair to assume that the owner of said super Ferraris would not want anyone to know about them.

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    If you think there are 80 in Omaha, I want some of the drugs you are taking.
    I've been a well-connected Ferrari 'nut' in Omaha for almost 30 years, and I'd be shocked if there were more than 30 at the very very most, but it's more like 20.

3. ryan311

ryan311 Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2007
    Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'm not sure how many ferrari's are in Omaha, but this summer so far i've seen pj morgan driving a charcoal F430 spider on pacific st., a red f430 driving down dodge st, a yellow 360 on center st., a red 328 on maple, a red 355 near one pacific place, and a black 355 spider on blondo.

I've also heard about the F40 and Enzo in Omaha. I'm pretty sure it is the gentleman who started Godfather's Pizza who has them. I'm not positive though. I do know that he just got an SLR Mclaren and recently purchased a Lamborghini as well.

4. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Its not the Godfathers Pizza guy, although when I was in high school WT had a 288 GTO and a pearl white Gemballa Porsche. The old mayor has a black Testarossa.

I will find out what cars the guy I know has.

5. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I should give PJ a call, I have not talked to him in years, he will know who has what.
    I thought Willie moved to Newport Beach, and David Sokol bought that mansion Willie built ?

6. ryan311

ryan311 Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2007
    Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The founder of Oriental Trading company purchased the mansion that WT built in regency.

7. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Watanabe.

Sokol at one time had either that, or the Witherspoon Mansion, but I thought he moved out of the WM and into the Thiesen place.
    That's my stompin' grounds, or actually a little east of my stompin' grounds.

I remember when Thiesen first moved in - had a helicopter coming and going. A city ordinance put an end to that real quick, either that, or FAA rules, I don't remember which.

You guys are obviously Westside or Prep guys... and a bit after my time.

8. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is entirely possible that Sokol Bought the house but his company was based in Des Moines after the CalEnergy/MidAmerica deal went private.

Prep grad 1990.

9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    OT - I've heard the last McLaren M8F Can-Am car ever made is in Wisner Neb., but I don't know if that's true or not.

10. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Never doubt what might be in Omaha. The city is all about the money, nothing less.

11. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    At one point there was a TR in Lincoln, as well as an F40 (per rumor, both lived near me when I was growing up... I've seen the TR, delivered their newspaper, actually).

the guy with the TR allegedly had some issues with the IRS and he and his attorney both had to "serve" the consequences...

IIRC John Breslow owned the F40, but I never saw it... went to school with his bratty kid though...

12. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Name a city that isn't.

13. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Lincoln... unless you count it as the old money keeping the prospect of new money out.

14. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Let me clarify: a town that qualifies as a business center, and not a college town.
    If UNL folded up, Lincoln would be 1/4 the size. If UNO folded, it would have a very small effect on Omaha's economy as compared to the UNL/Lincoln situation I described.

15. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    its not as severe as you suggest, but the point is relevant. IIRC we officially crossed the 300K population mark here recently.

its a pretty sad thing, actually, we have a number of great smaller businesses, but the community is dead set on keeping larger employers out... its stupid.

16. cxturboboost

cxturboboost Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    Lincoln NE
    Full Name:
    Pete Kroll
    I don't know if it is the community. I would say it is more like the few who have all the money. They are keeping other businesses out. They don't want anyone "stepping on their toes" or in their territory. Lincoln really discourages growth and new businesses. Especially on the south side of town. I'm poor. I know it, and I will do the best I can. Right now just finding decent employment is tough. What do you do when you go from making 50k a year to not being able to find a job? Especially when you don't have a college degree.....

Pete

17. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I'm looking for a better job, and even though I don't want to move, for what my profession is, Phoenix jobs outnumber Omaha/Lincoln jobs by 15/1, if not more.

Nebraska taxes ARE forcing some employers to look elsewhere, I know of a couple that are moving to Iowa simply because of that, and a couple of other financial things being forced on them by the State of Nebraska.

There are some great small businesses here, but few that you can go to work for, and retire from, and live comfortably (anymore). I know those types of deals are getting fewer and fewer by the day no matter where you are, but there are just not that many 'GREAT' employers in Nebraska. There are SOME, but not many.

18. cxturboboost

cxturboboost Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    Lincoln NE
    Full Name:
    Pete Kroll
    Yes,

It is very bad in Lincoln. We pay some of the highest taxes, and have some very low paying jobs in comparison to equal employment in other parts of the country. Like I said, the rich keep it in their pockets around here. Too many college graduates that don't leave. This creates a huge problem. When you can go to a local store and a phd is stocking shelves, you know you have a problem. Too many people come to college here and don't leave after they are done. Only so many jobs, and an abundance of job seekers. It has me in a terrible position currently. I have good work experience in management, but still it is extrememly tough. The people that own businesses and have money here aren't good about paying employees good wages. They would rather buy a yacht in Florida where they can go for the winter???

On the front page of the paper this morning, the city has pushed out the man looking at building a quarter mile track. Again we have lost business and growth... Sad

Pete

19. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    my only prayer at great income was to go self-employed (which i did) and you are exactly right... the job-market SUCKS here.

what type of management have you done?

20. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Everyone complains about Nebraska taxes. That has been a constant for as long as I can remember. But one must keep in mind that there are four things that Nebraska doesn't have: 1. No Gold 2. No Oil 3. No Beaches and 4. No Mountains. So what the heck else do you have to tax? The one thing that has not declined has been the demand for state and federal services. And how else are you going to support them.

21. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    jobs.

new jobs.

its the only way.

22. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Yes, I agree that jobs would be a wonderful way to support the demand for services. But outside of Omaha is there any community in Nebraska that has a growth mentality?

23. cxturboboost

cxturboboost Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    Lincoln NE
    Full Name:
    Pete Kroll
    General Manager/Parts Manager/Store Manager/Service Manager...

All in the heavy equipment repair field.

Pete

24. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska

qft.

25. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Umm... by not building a 100 million dollar overpass over Dodge street ?
    Like we REALLY needed that ?
    All it did was move the bottleneck to I-680 & Dodge or to 90th and Dodge.
    And if you see 'gee, 90% of that was Federally funded', I will say 'Where do you think that 90% came from ?'.
    If money from outside of Nebraska came in to pay for it, it's pretty simple to say an equal amount of our money is going outside the state to pay for something else.

And that's just one thing.

As far as the things Nebraska does NOT have, that list also goes for a few other states I can think of..

Oh - like we need another 1/4 track, or do you mean drag strip ?
    If we were going to build a drag strip, it needs to be centrally located so folks from Omaha, Lincoln, S. Dakota and Iowa can get to it, if you put it just by Lincoln, it won't survive. Maybe someone will bulldoze that racetrack next to I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln and build a dragstrip there.