Classic Arcade Heaven | FerrariChat

Classic Arcade Heaven

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by anunakki, Feb 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    that is too cool.

3. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    holy crap. always been a big video game guy...mostly street fighter. done some competitive play too. :D

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Awesome--Where's Luna City?

5. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My brother used to buy/repair/sell jukeboxes as a hobby in NC. One time while visiting him we drove up to PA to pick up a couple. Normal looking track home. Walked down into the basement, Holycow! 40-50 jukeboxes, 50's style decorations. Probably over $250k in rare jukeboxes (and this was 15+ years ago, I'm sure value went up since).

oh, and carrying 200+ lbs of jukebox up narrow stairs.....ouch!!

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I want one of those MAME units - they had them at Costco Christmas 06 preloaded with several hundred games, including SF2.

7. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I had one of the Mame machines. It was called a Barcade. It played just like the arcade machines and had over a thousand games, loaded onto a computer built into a case. The case looked like the top part of the arcade machine with the joystick and monitor. The cool thing was it didn't need any quarters. If you played it in the arcade, it was loaded on to the computer. Even with all the games, it only took up about 20GB of space on the hard drive. Had to sell it, because I won it in a contest and didn't have the room in my apartment. I'd like to build one of my own some day, with a Shuttle box, with all the games and atari 2600 and 5200 games.

8. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    maybe i can make that a summer project.

some happ controls and PCBs, an old arcade cabinet that I can restore, and an old desktop computer....

or i can make it easier, and just buy some x-arcade stick(s), tear the guts out, install em in the cabinet and bypass all the fiddling with controls and PCBs....

9. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I own an arcade business (placing them on locations) I would love to open an arcade with 80's machines however would anyone come?
    Here is one thats open to the public

http://www.1984arcade.com/

I currently own 128 games bust most of them aren't the classics..

10. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would be there a few times a week...

Its definately come back...people want the simplicity and strategy of the older games...the fact that the flash game sites have taken off proves it. If you put it in the right spot and make it upscale you will have lots of males in their 30s and 40s going in...serve some alcohol and snacks and you;ve got a winner.

I have 12 classic games in my home arcade.

11. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Question for anyone reading this thread...

There was an arcade in Ft lauderdale called Grand Prix Race O Rama....it was shaped like a castle and on route 441 in the late 70s to early 90s. I spent my formative years there almost every day.

Problem is I have NO pictures or nostalgia on the place...kinda bums me out. So if anyone happens to remember it and has pics I would love to get some copies.

In the early 90s it was demolished to make way for the freeway...they reopened off of I95 but the new place wasnt shaped like a castle...that always bummed me out.

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They have that: Dave & Buster's.

BTW, I take it you have seen the documentary King of Kong?

13. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    but the reward is oh so sweet...

that is insanely cool!

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dave & Busters doesnt have the old games though...its all new crap. Mostly driving and shooting games. its designed to be a 'date' joint focusing on multiplayer games and catering to a young crowd...it does a good job at that.

But it doesnt satisfy a classic game hunger...at most they have a Mrs Pac Man, Donkey Kong and a Centipede sitting in a corner somewhere.

King Of Kong...Bill Mitchell is a good friend of mine. The arcade I mentioned in the previous post, Grand Prix Race O Rama, was 'our' arcade growing up. I was sitting next to him the day he got to the Mrs Pac Man kill screen for the first time...that was probably 1981 or 1982 I think. We used to have a good time back then.

Funny thing is Bill is still living back then...clothes..hair style..interests...hes never left the early 80s. And hes not the ***** they make him out to be in the movie.

15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That was the funny part!

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I recently sold the donkey kong I restored. It was in fantastic shape, but I was storing it at my parent's house, and my brother left it plugged in - lightning induced power surge torched the monitor, power supply, and without the monitor and power supply I couldn't test the boards. Still sold it for a few hundred bucks because the cab was in great shape.

In a telaio-esque moment, I unscrewed the 1981 Nintendo serial number plate from the back before I sold it. I kinda felt like a d*** for doing it, after seeing all the threads about butchered 330GT2+2s, and the like, but the guy I sold it to was going to tear the cabinet completely apart and cannibalize it anyway.

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    What's really awesome about the original subject matter is the minor details

-the change machine
    -the "pitch in" trash receptacle
    -the pay phone
    -the carpet

greg328 likes this.
  18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It is pretty funny...

I havent been back to FL to see him in person in over ten years... we just reminisce through email.

He might be getting his own reality show.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, you know he "always says controversial things. [He's] like the abortion issue."

20. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    That junkyard game looks amazing, never seen it before

21. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Wow...it's 1983 again. Forever. :)

RMX

22. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I just missed buying one here on Craiglsist for $50.00 !

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #23 ryalex, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The abortion comparison was made because they specifically asked him to compare to abortion...then they cut out their question making it look like he came up with that all on his own.

He's pretty upset by how they edited it to make him look like a 'villian'.

25. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :rolleyes: The guys an ass regardless. Have you read the interview the AVClub.com did with him? While I'm sure some editing was done to help make him look like the "villain" for the movie he most certainly put himself in that role to start with.

*edit*
    Here's the article (His hot sauce is supposed to be very good): http://www.avclub.com/content/node/73909