Clack, Clack noise on cold startup | FerrariChat

Clack, Clack noise on cold startup

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 88MONDIAL, Nov 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I've only just recently got my 82 Mondial, but the 2 rides I've driven it after getting it home, upon cold start up, i get a fairly loud CLACK, CLACK, CLACK noise what appears to be from the right side of the engine. After about 40-50sec's it slows maybe with a 0.5 second delay between "clacks" and then 30sec's later it takes 1 - 1.5sec's between clacks and then another 30sec's it only does it once in a while for the next say 30sec's then it stops completely. Anyone have an idea what this could be? Both times it totally stops in about 2min's upon start up. It does NOT do this on warm start up say after getting gas or 1/2hour of moving it from the driveway to the garage after a ride. Thanks.

2. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like an accessory belt slap to me.

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    And it would stop completely within a few min's?

I don't have high idle when I start it cold. It says under 1,000rpm's from the get go, feels like it should be turning over quicker. I think my 88 did but that was years ago and my 348 Spider did on startup. I could be totally off base on that though.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- try a little belt dressing spray (unless there's some other obvious physical problem). The AC belt layout design on the 3.0L engine is terrible...

5. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Haha, I don't know if you're razen me or if belt dressing spray even exists! Sounds phony like when the finance manager tries selling you on things when you buy a car like free blinker fluid refills for life when you buy the under body rust proofing. :)

Why would the noise slowly stop and then go away completely if it was the A/C belt? What else is being driven off the A/C belt, anything else? Could the noise be a sticking valve where the oil helps after it's running a little? Doesn't sound like that, as it's louder, but I'm not too mechanically inclined.

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Just a guess: something is "clacking" when it is cold. As it warms up and expands, it stops clacking. So what could this be? Some clearance somewhere, a bearing in dry grease until it's warm and the grease/lubricant works, etc.
    Warning: I am not a mechanic. Furthermore, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Experiment trumps theory. The next time before a cold start, spray some WD-40 on the A/C belt. I'll bet the sound goes away.

One of the nice things about making things on an assembly line is that the products all have the same problems.

Also, if you're not mechanically inclined, get someone else to change that belt for you, because it's not easy. If your A/C doesn't work anyway, you could probably just cut the belt off. Neat workaround.

8. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Thanks for the info guys! Wouldn't WD-40 make the belt slip? Could you use water? Is the belt exposed or covered under a cover? I haven't had much time with the car yet as I just got it a week or so ago. I'll look under hood more this weekend, but it's supposed to be 38 for a high outside. :(
    Thanks again!

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The belts (at least on a 3.2) are covered but easily accessed. Jack up and remove right rear wheel, remove about 10 screws holding on the fibreglass wheel well liner, remove the belt cover, and there they are.

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    There is no cover over the A/C belt that would prevent you from spraying belt dressing onto it. WD-40 will not make the belt slip, or damage anything else. Not sure if water would work. Never tried.

The problem with the belt is that it is old, hard, dried out, and cracked. An oil based dressing will soften it up. Running the engine will soften it up.

You might have easier access if you remove the air filter housing.

IIRC, there was a video on youtube of a red 328 making the same noise.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Normally, the accessory belts get changed along with the timing belts. I would look into the last time the timing belts were changed. It's probably been a while, if that A/C belt is old enough to be making noise.

12. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    It could also be the A/C compressor bearings. Mine make a chattering noise between 3K and 4K RPM. I know it's the AC because the noise disappears completely when I turn the AC off.

Since the noise stops at 4K, I have great incentive to keep the engine wound up!!!

sid

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Because the belt surfaces heat up with use and get more "sticky" (so only a problem at cold startup). The wrap angle on the AC belt idler pulley is so low (which is the terrible design part) that the belt can creep up one side of the idler pulley groove and then "snaps" back down.

Belt dressing is a real thing (any autoparts store should have it, and if you do an internet search on "belt dressing" that should get you plenty of images) -- you can't use it habitually to resolve the issue, but giving the V-belts a quick shot every 3~6 months wouldn't be a sin IMO (of course, assuming there isn't some other obvious problem).

14. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    I too have heard the belt noise theory but couldn't justify why....now I know. Snapping back makes perfect sense. My 3.2 made the same noise before and after performing my major. The A/C belt was the only one I didn't change primarily because my system is discharged and the belt was relatively new.

Thanks Steve.....

Brock

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The belts are not very wide and have a stiff plastic type of reinforcement in them, the ac belt is a typical cause of the belt slap. They are fine for a couple of years, and then presumably from heat soak they must loose some flex and do the slap when cold, disappears after a warm up. The slap is not going to harm any thing, but a new belt will solve for this. The belt dressings do work, but only temporarily. But shouldn't do harm, so give a try, use the belt dressing to diagnose the problem.

16. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Need new AC belt!

17. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Thank you all for the informative information, I learned a lot. I'll look into the belt dressing and see how things go from there. Too bad I put the car away for the season last night. I won't forget what I learned come Spring.
    Again many thanks for taking the time, guys.
    Jim

18. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    What they said......

AC Belt....... A little dressing will prove the theory.

19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    makes me remind of a battery that doesn not provide enough volt, so should be recharged. Are you able to start it up?

20. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Disable the cold start circuit by shorting the connector under the water header tank. That worked for me.

21. Kay3.2

Kay3.2 Rookie

Mar 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kay
    Hi, has any of you been able to conform the AC Belt theory? My 88 3.2 Mondial has what i believe the same issue. Clacking noise on right side of the engine after cold start - dissapears after about 2 minutes of driving. Thank you, Kay

ronfrohock likes this.
  22. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Believe it or not, my 87 3.2 is now doing the same! bringing it in tomorrow to hopefully get it sorted.

ronfrohock likes this.
  23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    yes most likely belt noise. could also be a small exhaust leak that seals as it gets hotter. The exhaust leak is more of a click, click, click.

24. Kay3.2

Kay3.2 Rookie

Mar 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kay
    See video attached. Is the noise on yours similar? Let me know what you find. Thanks!

Attached Files:

25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Unfortunately belt dressing does exist and he is not pulling your chain