Chrome Plating in the Toronto Area | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Chrome Plating in the Toronto Area

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mike_D, Jan 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I have found out that when you lay out a few truths for all to read some ( just human nature i guess) have a hard time believing cause someone whom they didnt expect to look bad does . it doesnt make the facts any less true however

gary
    Espada

2. CAR QUEEN

CAR QUEEN Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    WOODBRIDGE, ON
    Full Name:
    LEGAL ADVISOR
    Checked out GARY'S advice, for a good quality plater. Very poor referral given.

3. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #53 red3555gtb, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Hey Gary, even the new guy is not a fan of yours, what's up with this? I'm smelling a company insider doing the posting.

4. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    your correct in retrospect it was a poor refferal but that was a long time ago . As i indicated since i lasty visited Desna others have gone and since the sons departure things went downhill. was that clear??
    Thread was dormant a long long time in fact . moral of the story do better homework than i did .

ho hum

gary
    Espada

5. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    one more thing I have had others ( professional restorer friends of mine )go to John ( owner of the plating house ) in the last 12 months and they had major trouble getting him to communicate about timelines etc and hes still very very ornary man still . Fumes maybe . If you like getting crapped on verbally and need chrome take it there fer sher....
    Seriously gents a member of my family has a mental illness and is working slowly working his way through the adult world so i actually feel bad for John and others who have that unknown inner anger which forces them to say and do things a normal person might otherwise not . He knows how to make chrome but at what cost to his personal and professional reputation.

Gary
    Espada

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Bearing in mind that this is a 2 year old thread Desna is not the same as it was 2 years ago. The original owner is gone and the work is not as good as it once was. Gary and I gave good advice 2 years ago and times have changed. That's life.

What has not changed is that John at TPH is still a cook with no business or customer sense. His work is good but not worth the aggravation.

As of today I do not have a plating source I would send anyone to in Toronto.

7. CAR QUEEN

CAR QUEEN Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    WOODBRIDGE, ON
    Full Name:
    LEGAL ADVISOR
    Thanks for your help. "not". Wanted to join the club and get my "DINO" restored to prestine condition. Thought you oldies, would be more heplful. I see how you accused your club member for trying to rip you off. Don't you trust anybody. Must be nice nice to be so perfect and critical of others.

8. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Why don't you start over. Introduce yourself and your car like a normal person.

9. CAR QUEEN

CAR QUEEN Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    WOODBRIDGE, ON
    Full Name:
    LEGAL ADVISOR
    I don't find you normal.

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
  11. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Well it would apprear than John at the plating house is not the only guy here with issues .
    Astounding how if one reads thru all the threads all the way back we are just a bunch of car guys yakking about our experiences good or bad. Then along comes a guy and wants to pick a fight it would appear!! not the first time in the Canada threads as luck would have it.
    with that no more from me on this subject .
    Lets get back to talking about cars and not people .

Gary
    Espada
    p.s. 10 bucks says I get some sort of teenbeat response

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    #62 Fave, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Anything else creative to share?

14. vulcan300

vulcan300 Karting

Oct 30, 2011
    43.652073,-79.382293
    Full Name:
    Jeremy G
    In the interest of sharing useful information, since someone is being a DB, here's my recent experience with two local shops. this was for trim on my 86 911. I don't have a F car yet, but I'm looking for a nice 308.

East end Toronto (Leslieville area) - Mayfair Plating

Don't give the your money. The work was mostly sloppy.

- Requested mirror polished and anodized aluminum window trim. Got poorly polished trim with lots of hairline scratches and claims that anodizing isn't possible.
    - Requested chromed quarter window trim, rear window trim and door handles. Got poorly polished quarter window trim, rear window trim with way too much coating, and door handles with so much extra coating I had to spend hours grinding it off in order to make the functional as they would isn't get it right after two attempts.
    - Requested mirror polished stainless roll bar cover. Got some nice work on this part.
    - paid two grand and had to redo several pieces. Never again. All the are capable of doing is replating teapots and serving trays.

West end Toronto (Kipling and Qew) - City Bumpers

If Carl is still there I highly recommend it.

Carl is in his 80s and has been polishing and plating metal since he was a teenager. He'll talk your ear off, and he'll take his time with the work, but the end result will be nothing short of fantastic.

- He redid the Aluminum trim that the place above screwed up, as well as door top trim and strike plates. All were great and the price was right. But again, I only recommend it if Carl is there. I don't think anyone else there does any plating work.

J