Chrome Plating in the Toronto Area | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chrome Plating in the Toronto Area

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mike_D, Jan 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    4 very prominant headlamps and a bonnet as flat as a pancake like the espada! Love it! do you think the boys from Ghia and Bertone were having lunch one day.

Gary

espada 8394

P.S Have I mentioned the guy at the plating house is a dickhead

2. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    One of my friends was in Italy a few months ago. He says it is surprising how close the factories are form one another. So yes me thinks the boys were having vino or they changed their alegiances (Giugiaro drew both the Muira and the Mangusta, he tought the Mangusta was going to be an ISO, have you seen DeTomaso's version of the X1/9) The Mangusta has common parts with Fiat, Ferrari, Lamborghini)

Denis

3. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    denis;
    if you ever drive your car to Toronto there is an iytalian car show ever thursday night just north of the city in Woodbridge. lots a cool stuff shows up

Gary

4. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    just so you know, you only posted a picture not a avatar. A avatar is the little picture beside your username and I believe you only get that if you a subscribed member....come to think of it mine disappeared and so did the picture of me in my profile too!

It's the BEST $15 you can spend!

Cheers!
    James Simpson

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm really sorry to hear how things panned out with John at the plating house. Gary, with your initial experience for sure you had no reason to think there would be problems and for me this merely proves that a tiger does not change his stripes. It seems as though John at the plating house is fine as long as you do not question his timeline, work, or quality. This take it or leave it on my terms attitude where the paying customer is reduced to a begger does not fly with me.

As for my experience I showed this thread to my brother and he reminded me of the second part to the story that I had forgotten about until now. As mentioned earlier my run-in with John centered around the parts being done way later than promised. After this my brother dealt with him because I did not want to go back and deal with him but he still had my parts (door handles BTW). Fast forward a few weeks to the parts being ready and my brother was picking them up. The handles were done but no repairs were made to it in the 'less than visible' areas. These were merely chomed over showing pits and flaws in the finish. Upon questionning John, he defended it by saying that 'well you don't see that area when the handle is assembled'. My brother said that that was BS but he did not leave the handles any more because our experience has always shown that an oversight of that kind always demonstrates a lack of attention to detail that cannot be forced so it is best to go elsewhere. Needless to say I am not going back and will glady tell anyone of my experience.

Oh and just to be clear on two points when I took the parts in I was given a long song and dance about them being the best, that nothing goes out unless it is perfect (their perfect apparantly), and that all the great show cars have their stuff done there. Secondly I agreed to and paid the price THEY gave me with no haggling so I figured I had the right to expect what I was promised.

Just spread the word that The Plating House is not the place to get your stuff done and I have no problems telling anyone including John from TPH to his face that they are second rate and not worth doing business with. Live and learn :)

6. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I will tell everyone i meet NOT TO GO THERE !!! And I really hate taking food off anyone's plate but this guy is so supremely arrogant he needs to be knocked down a notch or 2

Gary

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    And there's something wrong with that? :D

I kid I kid ;)

8. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    yes of course! how are all the ladies on here going to see my handsome face???? JUST KIDDING PEOPLE!!!!

9. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    took my handles to desna metal refinishing ( as mentioned in the beginning of this thread) today and he indicated they well be ready next week ! I will keep you all informed as to the results .......

Gary
    espada

10. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    so after finding a new plater the new guy further reinforces the notion that the plating house owner (John) is full of keiff!
    Apparently the hairline scratches on my stainless bumpers now will be able to polish out and maybe the Italains, just maybe, knew a little bit about polishing stainless contrary to what John the munga cake affogant dick head says . These bumbers left the factory 40 years ago with NO hairline scratches ( ya know the ones dickhead said he could never get out) He made most of these by the way during his repolishing process. Now its one more thing to add to my list. The process of restoration is not at all discouraging , quite the contrary in fact ! just dealing with simpletons is .

Tell everyone you ever met in your entire life to not go to the plating house !
    Every month or so as my memory allows I will send out a timely reminder keeping this thread alive or just until his business dies .

gary
    espada

11. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    LOL!

Did you mean "mangia cake"...?

12. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    bad spaller

13. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Have i mentioned not got go to the plating house this week?
    Oh Sorry.... MUSTA SLIPPED MY MIND HERE YA GO F DUDES

DO NOT GO TO THE PLATING HOUSE YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!

GARY
    ESPADA

14. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey Gary I am thinking of getting some plating done. Can you reccomend someone?

15. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    got my handles back from Desna metal. Good job no issues !! go there nuff said .

Gary
    espada

16. CAR QUEEN

CAR QUEEN Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    WOODBRIDGE, ON
    Full Name:
    LEGAL ADVISOR
    I took the advise of this guy Gary and went to Desna. OMG!!! Thank god, I only took 2 pieces for my Dino. The parts were so distorted they didn't fit on my car anymore. John at THE PLATING HOUSE made them look better than new. THE PLATING HOUSE "ROCKS". Thank you, JOHN.

17. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Wish I had seen this thread before. On the recommendation of someone in the business I took my shifter to the Plating House.
    Make a long story short, took 2 months to get my part back, a year later the chrome is peeling off.

Wonderful.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    lol...I wonder if you work there,

19. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey! Have you met our buddy Oceansky? He's got an investment opertunity you can't refuse! :D

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Get back to plating John you have 'customers' to disappoint

21. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    So funny, first post ever?

By the way, great job on the scud style carbon fiber paddles for my 430, got them installed at Daytona, lots of compliments. Too bad I had to get rid of the 430 spider, I'm gonna miss her in weather like this, but have to make room for the 458.

22. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    its been a few years since i plated anything but i know the son of the owner at desna ( Jeff was his name ) did a good job on my parts but when he left quality suffered according to Gary at Diamond trim .
    Dont know much more about The plating house these days....

Since all this I trust RM for most of my car needs . incredible service

Gary
    Espada

23. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Tough life :D

24. CAR QUEEN

CAR QUEEN Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    WOODBRIDGE, ON
    Full Name:
    LEGAL ADVISOR
    Very interesting to hear both sides of a storey. Makes one think how many people don't tell the whole truth. There are, lots of anal people out there. One thing I do know, where I'll be taking all my chrome for plating. It won't be Desna, that's for sure.

25. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    As far as I'm concerned peeling chrome isn't being anal.
    The other side of my story, the gear shifter is moving away from the chrome.