Chris Harris on the Roma | FerrariChat

Chris Harris on the Roma

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FerrariFR33458, Dec 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I have to agree with him and very interesting comments on the F12

Bhh likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    "THE one every should be looking at is the F12 Berlinetta". This statement is self evident and unimpeachable. In a world of supercar introductions per month it stands as the one to remember.

jam_Uk, Bhh, italiafan and 3 others like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The car that when it was introduces was ridiculed on this forum for the "uterus-like" rear-end and is still the car that cannot put its power down efficiently. Chris Harris... yeah...

gowthamn, Scotch and Juvendude like this.
  5. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Surprised he did not mention the 550 in his list of favorite GT cars.

Shark01 likes this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The F12 is a modern classic.

day355 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Chris Harris is one of the world's most recognized motor journalists and apart from being an authority on cars he can drive them faster and better than the majority of his colleagues. When he was banned by Ferrari because of an article he wrote, then he demonstrated that he isn't the footman of any car brand no matter how iconic or powerful that brand is.
    When in 2013 Chris Harris tested the F12 in a race track and destroyed four sets of new tires, he spared no adjectives to the Berlinetta; “traction astonishing”, “the fastest road car I’ve driven”, “insanely fast but accurate”, “the fastest street car I’ve driven in a straight line”, “this is I think the greatest technical achievement of a big sporty GT car driven”,” I wouldn’t even look at an Aventador”,” the power is utterly addictive, I’ve never driven anything like it” “I think it’s a fantastic car”, “the car is so dam fast, I have to own one”, “it’s the best car of it’s type that I’ve ever driven”
    Chris Harris is a respected personality in the world of motor journalism and he showed courage while expressing publicly in a video what are his car preferences. He knew that he would be immediately exposed to criticism. His choice of the F12 Berlinetta as being his favorite Ferrari GT his entirely personal but consistent with everything he said about the car back in 2013.

Adamas, Bhh, italiafan and 5 others like this.
  8. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Just got back from the rock store in Malibu, there were a bunch of Lambos...Performates, Aventador SVJ, Evo and a Pista, Viper ACR, but the car that really stood out was a two tone F12 body in a deep flat orange with a black top. I have been narrowing it down to a 675LT but the F12 may be the winner when the time is right.

9. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Chris Harris is a very respectable journalist and it is so wrong to ban a journalist for expressing his views, if anything, 'Ferrari' looks worse than 'a dictatorship'.

Ferrari has done the same thing with Philipp Plein (a German fashion designer) for a very silly reason, he put his green shoes on his green 812 Superfast!!:D:D.

I have no idea what Ferrari was thinking, I think Ferrari needs to focus only on their car business (the design, the engineering and a few other things) instead of that. Because all people have the right to express their opinion without fear.

MDEL likes this.
  10. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    While I understand where CH is coming from, I think his comparison/expectations of this new v8 GT car, in respect of his love for a previous generation flagship v12 GT are a little apples and oranges.

Further, the buyer that wants a new Ferrari won't necessarily look at what past masters could be had for similar money used, since warranty, spec choice etc... have already been prioritised in the buyers mind.

As for the silhouette comments, just add an AMG GT to the mix. Front and particularly the rear of the Roma are very pleasing from every angle, something that could not be said for the others IMO.

I take nothing away from the F12, which is a stunning vehicle, but I think Ferrari should be praised for bringing the Roma to this segment.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what was nice to hear is the shoutout for the 456, 612, and FF. im biased.

Solid State, ANOpax and G. Pepper like this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Chris Harris is like a Jeremy Clarkson without the intelligence and the fun. You’re only left with the controversies and the noise

John Geiger and daytona355 like this.
  13. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. However saying that a new model is less desirable than a 5 year old coupe which was 50% more expensive when new is hardly a fair comparison. This applies to most production cars that are used, once they are superseded by a new model. How about a first gen 991 GT3RS then? It is a huge discount on a second gen car. Does that mean no one should buy the new model? Never heard Chris say that on TV. Is a first gen 991 GT3 RS worth more than 50% the price of a Speedster? Of course it is. However one is a new model and one is a used car

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    During Chris Harris interview about the Roma one felt from the beginning that the Aston Martin syndrome was there. From the moment Chris Harris stated that the new Ferrari Roma is identical in design to the older Aston Martin Vantage, the stage was set for controversy. Chris Harris appears to be someone not afraid of expressing what he thinks and to me was clear that the Roma isn't and will never be his type of Ferrari.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    And that's OK.

But I would be curious to learn Mr. Harris' opinion on should one form a complete opinion of a car one has not yet driven?

stavura, deltona, MDEL and 1 other person like this.
  16. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Driving a car is the only way of having a valid (and subjective) opinion on how it goes. Regardless, he may have an opinion on the car's pertinency to be launched, it's position and blending with the other cars in the Ferrari's catalogue, or any other product-related matter not involving the driving experience.

So, I think he could have it in terms of discussing the brand's direction and catalogue.

Lesia44 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #18 Caeruleus11, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Agreed, but in this realm, his opinion is about the same as any of ours. The last time I checked, he's not a member of the Ferrari board.

I should also add, of course its implied he can change his opinion after he drives it, maybe its best to wait and see- even the driving experience can alter ones thoughts about how it fits into the lineup.

MDEL and JotaEle like this.
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    He doesn't understand what Ferrari 2+2's are for.

19. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Opinions on how a car performs are important, particularly considering how many different cars these folks drive. They are much better suited to provide feedback on one versus another, how they compare, how they differ, etc. Their opinion on styling or where/how the car fits an individuals needs are no more valid than my own. Less, really. So I will be curious to see if his position changes once he drives it. At the end of the day, the car serves a specific purpose ... not intended to be a pure sports car and certainly doesn’t compare to a V12. And this whole Aston comparison is just silly ... not sure how looking like an Aston is a bad thing ... both beautiful and very distinct to my eye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I know, Chris Harris loves the F12. I drove this car too and was disappointed without end. And at the end of the day my opinion is more important to me than Chris Harris's. Ha!

To compare the Roma (IMO) with a F12 is nonsense. We are talking about a new car vs. one that can only be bought as a used car. Do I want to buy a used and often maltreated F12 where I have to make compromises because my desired specification is never available? Certainly not when I have such an attractive alternative with the Roma. And I can easily do without the relatively low-torque V12 compared to the monster TT... ;)

And if I compare new with new I have to compare the Roma with the 812SF. And here we are talking about two completely different price segments, a comparison makes no sense for this reason alone. And an cheaper 812SF with the V8 TT would unnecessarily diminish the brilliance and uniqueness of the Ferrari flagship.

With the Roma, Ferrari will hit a market segment which is extremely exciting and high in revenue and this segment is mostly about cars for the everyday use. And that Ferrari will have success with the Roma in this segment is what the first pictures tell me. What about the expected driving dynamics? The Portofino is already very sporty and agile as a convertible, the GTC4Lusso T is more agile than the V12. I think the expectations can be rightfully high.

21. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I enjoy chris’ reviews on driving dynamics (up to a point, as the extremes simply don’t apply to me). His comments on styling are as irrelevant as anyone else’s as I either like the aesthetics or I don’t, regardless of others’ opinions.

I look forward to his driving review for fun (although no matter his opinions it would not change whether I would purchase a car). It amazes me when someone derides a car they have never driven because someone else had negative comments about it. It works for your purpose or it doesn’t...

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Even then I would rate other commentators as superior to him.

23. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    That was the point. I’m not after lap times. I enjoy his reviews. To me the biggest aspect is my enjoyment, not his technical expertise, because while one car may be faster, another may fit my needs better or be more forgiving to drive and more fun for a non-expert. So whether you meant others are superior for your enjoyment or others are technically better drivers so you enjoy them more, that’s the same for you.

24. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    A cheaper 812 Super-fast with a V8 engine, That's brilliant. That's absolutely brilliant!