Chris Evans former California Spyder -- sold to buy a GTO | FerrariChat

Chris Evans former California Spyder -- sold to buy a GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Oct 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I knew there was a British chap who had a 250GTO that was something in entertainment, maybe a radio DJ but when I found this column today that ran in the Daily Mail a couple of years ago.I don't know if this Chris Evans is the same bloke because he appears to be a writer. Anyway read the column, it's a fun piece about how he bought a Calif. spyder with the wrong engine but still made 2 million pounds off it later on.

Home | Daily Mail Online...

Since the article was written for a general circulation newspaper he doesn't mention the SN,or what year he bought it
    and what year he sold it;I am curious about those dates to have the story be more complete. He does say why he sold it, to buy a 250
    GTO. which he talks about selling later on down the page.
    I'd also like to know how much it cost the later owner to get the right SN engine for the
    California or if in fact the two were ever reunited.

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    2377 GT.
    Purchased May 2008 at RM auction in Maranello.
    Try the 'search' function.

Paul

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yes it is the same Chris Evans Radio DJ TV presenter and newspaper columnist. He's owned lots of classic Ferraris over the last ten years including the GTO and California but doesn't seem to hang onto them for very long.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I believe he bought a series 2 GTO then had Ferrari restore it, then sold it to purchase a series 1. He has quite a evolving collection, at one time all white.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chris bought 4675 GT (S2), then sold it.
    No, he did never buy an S1 GTO.

Marcel Massini

6. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Indeed but he has bought one of my favourite fezzas, the marvellous 860 Monza #0604. In my eyes the most beautiful fezza ever.

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I was sure he said he sold it to buy an S1, I guess maybe he had one in his sights but did not secure it in the end, thanks Marcel

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chris Evans bought 0604 in July 2011 and sold it June 2012.

Marcel Massini

9. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    It’s a photographic volume full of seductive curves – yes, it’s about cars – and it nestles on the coffee table of my mews/garage/office, mainly because on the front cover is a picture of a Ferrari 860 Monza (1956). They only ever made three, all of which helped Juan Manuel Fangio and Ferrari win that year’s F1 championship, and two survive. This car is even more special than my Series II 250 GTO; it is without a shadow of a doubt the best-looking car I have ever laid eyes on.

They only ever made three Ferrari 860 Monza, all of which helped Juan Manuel Fangio and Ferrari win the F1 championship in 1956. Three months ago, a chap from Switzerland called to say the actual car (chassis number 0604) I drool over whenever I sit at my desk was coming to the market. You will NEVER guess what happened next.

I currently find myself in the middle of another fortnight reluctantly away from my radio duties. I don’t like holidays that involve stupidly heavy suitcases, stupidly sticky suncream and insane airports, but I do love spending time at home or mooching around Britain doing the things I like with the people I love.
    On Monday, day one of this year’s official autumn airtime break, I was up with the lark, partly due to my body clock and partly because I was woken up by the rapturous snorting of a throaty 350 Shelby Mustang fastback outside my bedroom window.

It was my pal waiting to be let out of the gates. He’d stayed over after being rewarded with a hearty meal and a bottle of Château Batailley ’91 (someone’s got to drink it) as a thank you for a mercy mission. This best of all chaps selflessly made the trip from London down the M4 on Sunday evening to teach me how to drive my most recent new old car, my dream of all dreams.
    Yes, reader, I did buy the 860 Monza. And as well as having curves to die for, it also possesses what’s called a straight-cut gearbox. This basically means you have to do something almost spiritual in order to achieve a smooth change-down or, indeed, a change-down at all.
    Max, my half-Italian twinkle-toed mate who has been driving vintage rally and racing cars since before he was born, immediately allayed any fears that my new baby needed a replacement clutch.

Within seconds of his pilota magnifico prowess, it became patently obvious that what my new baby really needed was a new me. Or at least the old me with faster feet. A lightning-quick double declutch is required to tame this brutal but brilliant non-synchro technology. A skill I’ve been practising in bed ever since, and which goes more or less like this: revs off, left foot down, into neutral and left foot off again, a quick, fearless blip of more gas followed by a second depression of the clutch pedal, and then into gear without hesitation, deviation or repetition. Phew – you wanna go? -Chris.Evans

The actual car I drool over was coming to market. You will NEVER guess what happened next | Daily Mail Online

Surprised its gone after just a year.

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Seems to me that Mr. Evans likes more the Glamour with this great cars than the cars themselves…

11. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Well our Max is a good teacher by all accounts!!

12. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Who IS MAX ?, sorry if I am missing the obvious :)

13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I assume Max Girardo of RM. Chris Evans and Max are good friends and he occasionally appears on his radio show.

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    My guess is/was Max W., until recently the pilot of the breadvan in historic events.

15. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I don't think Max W is half Italian,,,but in any case it was Max Girardo who initiated Chris Evans, he (Max) confirmed.

16. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Merci, Bira for the clarification. ;)

17. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Ferrari's look like crap in white, just sayin'.

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I wonder if he will be turning the black Daytona Spyder he just bought for £2.2 Million back to it's original colour of white ? Somehow I think not, and I would not blame him, but I could be wrong [ usually am ] according to my wife!

19. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Beer ahh

20. derekluke08

derekluke08 Rookie

Apr 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Derek Luke
    He purchased a series 2 GTO, had Ferrari restore it, and then sold it to buy a series 1 GTO. He has a constantly changing set, which was once entirely white.
    The Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder, like the 250 GTO, was a limited-edition car with just a few made. This is the same car that was featured in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in a custom-built fiberglass-bodied replica.

The car is a one-of-a-kind work of art. He had paid approximately six million pounds for this vehicle. The car had previously belonged to Steve McQueen until he received the keys. It’s worth a lot of money now.

21. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    it was James Coburn...

fiatosca, Lusso123, readplays and 2 others like this.
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Evans did not buy a Series 1 250 GTO.
    Around 106 (50 LWB, 56 SWB), so not a one of a kind, but yes a work of art.
    It was about £5 million at the time IIRC.

Yes it is.

Lusso123 and readplays like this.
  23. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It seems a bit bizarre to post in a seven year old topic repeating misinformation that was already corrected by earlier posts!!

BJK, Lusso123 and miurasv like this.
  24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I also was under the impression he had bought a S1 GTO. So he bought the S2 GTO and restored it and then sold and now does not own any 250 anymore? (No california, lusso, GTO etc..?)

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All gone, all history.

Marcel Massini