CHP moves from Harley to BMW RT’s | FerrariChat

CHP moves from Harley to BMW RT’s

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, Mar 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Does anyone have any insight on why CHP switched from Harley to BMW? They seem to go back and forth. Also, how many miles a year does the average moto cop ride?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Harley never even competed for the contract. CHP has a number of requirements that Harley does not offer. A single dealer in Oakland has the contract and builds them in house for the entire state. I know they had trouble keeping up. It will be interesting to see why. It is a contract with a time limit so it can be as simple as a case of being outbid. I will be seeing a friend who is a retired SFPD motor officer and intend to ask him. I know in their case they couldn't wait to get rid of the BMW's. I used to ride with a few retired and active SFPD motor officers and they hated the BMW's. When they went away from the BMW I know one of the reasons was all up cost. The retired BMW's were worth a lot less so all up costs were higher. A lot factors go into it and it usually has little to do with what the guys riding them want.

I know like a lot of things, some hated the Crown Vics and some loved them, same is true of the bikes.

As far as mileage per year I bet it differs a lot. CHP parks the bikes in the rain for example. SFPD rides rain or shine.

carguyjohn350 and INRange like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Heard it was on a 2 year contract and expired. So Oakland HD won 3 2 year contracts in a row and got beat by a BMW store in Long Beach.

Also BMW and Harley both give a 60,000 mile life expectancy to police service bikes. I know a lot of departments keep them much longer. SFPD had some 6 figure HD's.

4. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm not sure I understand. A single dealer builds them? I thought there were police versions. Maybe this is installing all the radio, lights and that police stuff?

5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    CHP officers in Nor Cal told me they hated the Harleys. Didn't handle, didn't stop. Said Commissioner makes decision based on cost. We ride what we are given Sir.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Yes, Harley builds police versions but none comply with CHP demands so Harley doesn't even bother to bid. Most departments shop for what a company builds and choose what will meet their needs but California being the disaster it is has found a way to spend a lot more money by specifying something no one builds. Every bike they buy is a custom build. It was a big surprise back in 2013 when Oakland Harley made a bid and won the contract. Now evidently a BMW dealer in Long Beach has done the same.

Back when common sense was the norm in California CHP, OPD and probably others actually had dealer status with Harley, bought bikes and parts direct, sent their mechanics to Harley service schools etc. No more. Buy at marked up prices and contract out service at far higher cost. Its the new " LOGIC FREE" California.

vincent355 and Red 27 like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All the NorCal CHP motor officers?

You asked them all?

I don't think so. I used to have breakfast at the same place 3 of them did every morning in Alamo. One guy hated his Harley, one guy loved his and the woman didn't seem to care much one way or the other.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do you actually think the Explorers they drive handle or stop as well as the Mustangs? Performance isn't one of the requirements. The higher ups really are not in favor of high speed chases. It gets people killed, sometimes tax paying innocent bystanders. They far prefer the officers use their heads and their radios to catch people. Nothing is faster than a Motorola.

9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Only reporting back !

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Slightly petulant response no ? Did I claim that anywhere ? Sample size in my case was three. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all. Just try not to state things as universal fact.

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Your interpretation of my intent is amazing !

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I cannot interpret intent, only words.

14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Sorry you are having such a bad day Brian.

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The 3 guys told me that the 200 lbs Harley weight penalty over the BMW was a real drag over an 8 hour day. Los Gatos PD loves the Honda.

16. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've never really ridden one of the big Harleys any distance until last summer. The feet forward thing wasn't a natural for me and it felt cumbersome. Fast forward to a month ago and I watched an inter-department maneuverability contest on Harleys with Ft Lauderdale and the Sheriffs. Unbelievable what the guys that ride them everyday can make them do.

The Honda above looks fantastic.

Texas Forever and m5shiv like this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have had and like lots of different motorcycles and they are all evolved and intended for different use. I like long distance riding and have done many 800+ mile days. Harleys are very well evolved for that. Most comfortable long distance motorcycle I have ever ridden. There are other good ones too. This is a picture of my riding partner at the Yukon River Crossing about 135 miles North of Fairbanks Alaska on the way to the Arctic Circle. On that trip we did probably 1000 miles on dirt, gravel and mud roads. The size, weight or seating position didn't seem to be an issue. We were in so many middle of nowhere places we both carried extra gas. The bottle can be seen on the rack of my motorcycle. Lots of places out there that are a long way from a gas station.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great day actually. But then I am just a glass half full kind of guy. Especially since I blew out of that dump of a state.

19. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I don't think anyone is missing you here. Stay happy.

20. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looks like a great trip.

21. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I talked to some Ft Lauderdale motorcycle cops today. FLPD is all Harleys. They lease them for 2 years. They are assigned to one individual and they ride them to and from work. The mileage varies based on where they live. One guy had 26K on his 1YO bike and another had 9K on his ( month old ride. The do a skills test and competition everyone month. Some talk of them going to BMW's but none of these guys liked the BMW's . The Harley was viewed as much much easier around town and the BMW more of a road set up. They also said the Harleys are reliable as stones.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Boomhauer and BoulderFCar like this.