Cholesterol - Oxidixed LDL | FerrariChat

Cholesterol - Oxidixed LDL

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by crazy canuck, Jun 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I am interested in knowing if anyone has ever had their levels of Cholesterol oxidization measured.

I am not referring to a regular lipid panel where the blood test tells you what your LDL, HDL, Total Cholesterol ratios, etc.

There are significant numbers of people who have heart attacks with perfectly "normal" cholesterol profiles - so it's more than just having super low cholesterol.

and I'm not of the opinion that ALL "bad" cholesterol or LDL is bad -- There are other factors -- one of which is the oxidization level of your LDL.

I am specifically interested in if anyone has had any tests done to measure their level of LDL, and what those tests were.

I will share a type of cholesterol test beyond the basics that I've had done that I think is very valuable - and that is the Apo B / Apo A ratio. Also very wise to get your HsCRP tested for overall inflammation in your body.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting post and I'd like to see some responses as well.

My doctor suggested that I take statins only because my LDLs are usually over 100. But I'm still resisting...

Also, instead of the common ratio that's reported on the lab tests I use the triglycerides to HDL ratio instead.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Go vegan and these problems disappear.

4. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

5. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #5 crazy canuck, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    You are right about this. Its not easy to give up some things - but I can't argue with it being true.

Although I am not 100% vegan I have moved heavily in this direction and have seen some serious benefits as a result. (i.e less lethargy more energy lower "bad" cholesterol levels, blood sugars, and reduced fat / belly fat and reduced inflammation as quantified by Hs - crp testing)

However, I am specifically looking at methodology to quantify these cholesterol ratios as I am running these experiments on myself with my lifestyle changes to see what the actual quantifiable effect is on me.

Were you always vegan ? -- and did you run any tests before and after to see what the effects were for you ?

6. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Along with the enjoyment of eating!

7. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    But you also give up having to have your rib cage cut with a saw and your heart stopped for open heart surgery. ;)

I'll give up steak and ribs for that.

I guess life is all about trade offs and individual choices.

The North American diet coexists with our number one killer - heart disease . And people like former US president Bill clinton - who modify this improve their Health.

I'm not vegan myself but I know that it works for killing heart disease, because I personally know people who have done it - and cleaned their arteries out without stents or surgery

But I digress - I'd like to refocus this thread back to testing for oxidized cholesterol. And or any other blood tests for risk factors related to cardiovascular disease

Thanks

8. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Triglycerides are the problem, not cholesterol. Lower carbs to lower triglycerides. Read any book by Gary Taubs. Preferably, Why We Get Fat.

GT

9. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I think you might be right -- the more research I do the more it seems to point to the management of triglycerides as being a bigger concern than cholesterol..

Here's an interesting study I came across that points to this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664115/#b7-cln63_4p0427

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There isn't much evidence showing dietary cholesterol intake has any affect on serum cholesterol levels if that's what you're implying by dieting.

Also, red yeast rice is basically a "natural statin."

11. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #11 crazy canuck, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    You are right on both accounts -- Dietary cholesterol intake has very little impact on cholesterol levels as 80% of the cholesterol in our bodies is made in the liver.

I'm not an advocate for "dieting" - which to me means a "temporary" change in type or quantity of food intake only to revert back to a poor diet thereafter.

The reason to eat plant based according to Bill Clinton's doctors is not for the purposes of lowering cholesterol - although cholesterol levels will automatically fall into place thereafter following an unprocessed - clean plant based diet.

It's to stop injuring the endothelial linings of our arteries from lifestyle induced inflammation- which is the reason why our body utilizes cholesterol to repair those lesions / damages in our arteries that our lifestyle has primarily caused.

Our body generates and uses cholesterol for repair and building purposes - but if we stop causing injuries to our arteries - the body automatically reduces it's cholesterol production as it is not required. Combine this with a lack of cholesterol intake - and we can see how cholesterol levels fall back in line

I think that high triglycerides are also to blame for increased inflammation.

and their link to cholesterol is intriguing. Which is why Im very keen to measure beyond just the sum total of my HDL / LDL and Triglycerides.

I am interested in knowing the oxidized portions of my Ldl and also other useful info about the quality of the HDL and LDL / Triglycerides that I have.

Any ideas on that front ?