Chevy Volt after 10 months | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Chevy Volt after 10 months

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Smart move.

:)
    BT

3. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    my issue is price and its a new model I'd go with a prius first and see how models like this do. Certainly to my mind the most feasible car of its sort though (a nissan leaf just won't do for a a family or most folks period) I'd prefer a tesla though and they happen to have a cheapish model in the works...

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Although Volt sales are off 9% this year, the Prius (all variations combined) is taking a larger hit (down 15%). Market saturation ? Maybe, but Leaf sales are through the roof, up 34%.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    People aren't buying Volts because they misunderstand the car, and they are thinking with a combustible engine mindset.

I hear this a lot:

"But I have to drive over 40 miles a day."

OK, so let's say you drive 60 miles a day. That means 20 of your miles will be using gas instead of electricity. The Volt delivers about 35 mpg when the electricity is used up. So you are using roughly a half gallon of gas for your 60 miles of driving. That still equates to around 120 miles per gallon. Well over twice the mpg of a Prius.

"But the Prius is cheaper".

Not true. A loaded-out Prius is around $35K, and a loaded-out Volt is around $41K. But you get a $7500 tax credit with the Volt, and only a $2500 credit with the Prius.

And the Prius still uses a lot of gas compared to the Volt - about 5 times as much in my case: The Prius gets 50 mpg. My Volt gets well over 250 mpg . So if I drive 1200 miles a month, I am buying 288 gallons of gas annually with the Prius, around 58 gallons with the Volt. Around $760 per year in savings with the Volt. Now, my actual results have been much better with the Volt, as we haven't bought gas for a number of months now.

However, it does cost about $25 per month of electricity to run the Volt.

Also, your repairs & maintenance on the Volt are only a fraction of that of a combustible engine car: No timing belts, no transmission and differential issues, 1 oil change every 2 years, new brake pads every 100,000 miles, etc., etc.

Over a 5 year period, the Volt delivers exceptional value. I did some calculating, and if my Volt is worth $0 in 10 years, it will still be the cheapest new car to own that I ever had, and there isn't even a close second.

If people understood these cars, Chevy couldn't make enough of them.

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I agree, but most buyers don't want to educate themselves, they just want an appliance and have pretty short attention spans. Human nature. A geek like me, I was fascinated and impressed with the Volt and read quite a bit about it before I bought. But the average consumer? They don't even have the patience to order a car, they just go down to the magic mile of dealerships one weekend and drive off in something.

Also, budget is important. Right now you just can't economically justify any hybrid over a gasoline economy car. The extra fuel costs over even 5 years of operation don't offset the price differential. You buy a hybrid or electric car because they appeal to your inner nerd. The Tesla is the ultimate example. It is M5, S-Class and A8 money. But it is the ultimate iPhone accessory if you have the means and is an excellent execution of the electric car for the financially comfortable who have a 6-figure car budget.

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I ran a comparison between the Volt and its combustible engine counterpart - the Chevy Cruze - and the Volt still came out slightly ahead over a 5 year period. 10 years, the Volt wins hands-down. Fuel costs, repairs, and maintenance really add up over that length of time, not to mention all those trips to the gas station to pump gas.

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That would be a mistake as the Volt is a MUCH better car than the Prius-far better to drive, better looking, higher quality materials, more features, better tech, free OnStar and XM,faster, better handling,etc,etc,etc. For most buyers that commute, it returns much better economy than the Toyota as well. I now know eleven of my friends and family that own Volts. They are all professionals and successful people. All but a few are "car people" and own everything from real Cobras to new Carreras. Every one of them is raving about their Volt and between the lot of us, have had zero problems to report. Every customer satisfaction rating for the Volt is about as high as they come. The car has won more awards than any car of its type. The power train is ridiculously under-stressed and the batteries will probably last twenty years.
    I flog mine unmercifully(and have topped it out a few times)-it still runs perfect and has exhibited no defects.
    It astounds me that anyone would buy a Toyota over this Chevy-I guess its true that much of the public is clueless and even when making a purchase that is their second largest expense, they still don't bother to compare.

9. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    #59 lcworld, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    +1. Chevy Volt ought to just retire Toyota Prius seriously.

Treehuggers(and everyone else) need to look at the Volt and just forget about the Prius.

The Volt's technology is simply better. And greener.

The Prius drivetrain is actually outdated, obsolete to me. It isn't even that green. And it has low torque/power. It still is an internal combustion engine in there, Atkinson cycle to save gas.

Not to mention the Prius drives like a mini mini van while the Volt like a sports sedan.

Environmenttal conscious car enthusiasts... It's Te$la, or Volt.

Buy American. Just Kidding!

These two cars are simply much better choices.

10. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It depends on usage and needs.

Two big things that swayed my brother from the Volt to the Prius were the fact that he didn't have to plug in the Prius to maximize its usable efficiency and the Prius had significantly more usable cargo space.

11. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Plugging in the Volt takes me about 15 seconds. Much faster than filling up every week. A non issue for a homeowner with a garage. I could see it would be difficult for an apartment dweller.
    More space? Not really, as the Volt seats fold flat and its a hatchback. Some of the even more miserable versions of the Prius do offer a strange humpback cargo area with more space. The Prius does allow three people to mash themselves into the back seat, while the Volt only has two nicely contoured seats in the back. So when used as a really uncomfortable device for five, the Prius does has an advantage. In every other aspect, the Volt is far superior. really no contest unless you regularly need to haul five people. If that was the case for me, I like my friends and family-so would chose a proper vehicle for five or more that still returned good MPG-certainly not a Prius.

12. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can tell you are an enthusiastic Volt owner. That's great and I'm glad it works the best for your application and use. I agree that there are many points where is excels over a Toyota Prius. However, overall utility for someone who drives a significant amount every day (~100 miles) and/or has a family of four to consider has found more utility and usability in a Prius.

As a reference, by the manufacturer's own provided documentation:

Cargo capacity, all seats in place -

Toyota Prius: 21.6 cu. ft.
    Chevrolet Volt: 10.6 cu. ft.

If you try to compare the Volt with its rear seats folded down it is now a two-seater and is really no longer even comparable to a Prius.

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    EV1 ring a bell?

This has to be the best post I've read in years.

V wagon is on my "to own" list.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #64 Husker, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    I'm in complete shock some of you clowns don't like the Volt. I really get a charge when I climb in mine. I realize there are positives and negatives but I just get such a surge when I push on the gas pedal.

I'm probably just hard wired that way.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm in complete shock that some of you Dolts... don't like dem Volts.

'cause I get such a charge when I climb into mine_____

I realize there are positives, and negatives to settle,

...but I just get such a surge when I push on the pedal.

Maybe ah be hard wired that way____

Yes, just hard wired that way____

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Better. Much, much better.

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I suppose if you had to drive over 100 miles a day with four people in the car and all of their attendant gear(strollers, backpacks, tricycles,etc)-then possibly the Prius and its 10 ft of extra space would be one advantage. It would still be an awful place to spend any time-especially 100 miles a day. If that were my need(and it is not), I think I'd be shopping for a nicely equipped minivan. Nicer and roomier than a Prius for extended commutes with four people.

18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Doesn't that skew the (very interesting) discussion? Comparing hybrid cars for daily use, assuming only 1 vehicle that has to do everything. Hybrid trucks are good, but get less than 1/2 the mileage.

I am hoping GM does a better job with the new Volt, which was a terrific concept. They need to get the lead out!! Weighing in at close to 2 tons, this car is just a porker. That shows up in the mediocre highway mileage.

Drop at least 400-500 lbs, and put a more efficient motor in for highway runs, and you have a much better car (and will probably be needed to keep up with better technology). We know it can be done, the original Honda insight (2 seater) weighed in at 1900 pounds with its battery!! Made of aluminum and manufactured at the same plant that the NSX was manufactured at.

Personally, I wouldn't care as much about a little better battery range if I could get much better mileage on the ICE running on regular gas or flex fuel E85.

Regards,
    Jerry

19. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #69 Carbuilder, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Enough already. We get it. It is the best car ever designed and built since the beginning of time.

I drove a Volt, then bought a Prius. It was FAR better for me and my driving needs.

Rick

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Who is we?

21. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Anyone that can read.

22. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    And if you want to write correctly it should be "Anyone who can read"

At least insult articulately

23. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Meh... matter of style, both are grammatically correct.

24. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    And if YOU want to write correctly, use correct punctuation.

But I digress. Apologies for sidetracking the thread.

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe I will stay with my 997.2 TTS as my daily driver. It has a ~300 miles range with a <10 minute charge of 93octane.