Chevy Volt after 10 months | FerrariChat

Chevy Volt after 10 months

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    First of all, I never dreamed that I would buy a brand new Chevy of all things.

But...me and the wife were both carting around in Lexus GX470s and spending about $100 every 5 days on gas. Most of our driving is around town.

We have a friend who bought a Volt a couple of years ago, and we began seriously considering one after they swore it was "the best car we've ever owned." Uh huh. An electric car.

But I thought heck, we can eliminate much of our gas expense, and the gubmit is chipping in $7500 (tax credit) for the trouble.

So for my wife, we bought a sleek black Volt, hard loaded, for $35K. Brand new. After the tax credit, it was $27,500.

10 months and 9100 miles later:

- It truly is the best car we've ever owned, and we have owned A LOT of cars.
    - Never had to take it in for a repair or "new car bug" - not even once.
    - We have bought 11 gallons of gas since last September.
    - The average "miles per gallon" is just over 200.
    - We rarely exceed the electric range per day - about 40 miles.
    - I take my kids to school in the car - a 16 mile round trip. Based on our price per kilowatt hour from the electric company, this trip costs us between $.22 and $.24 per trip.
    - You only change the oil every 2 years, and that's just because it's grown old.
    - No tuneups, timing belts, transmission servicing, etc.
    - Brakes are rated at 100,000 miles
    - The battery has a 10 year warranty

As for the car's performance:

- It is surprisingly quick, as there is no transmission. Just push the pedal and it goes - fast.
    - Ride is comfortable and quiet since there is no engine running.
    - A bit more road noise from the wheels than I would like.
    - Workmanship on the exterior and interior is as high as any Lexus or Mercedes that we've owned.

I know these cars aren't for everyone, but it is pretty amazing to me that Chevy is only selling 10-12K of these per year. Rarely do I spend more than $50 without eventual buyer's remorse. Not so with this car: I would do it all again.

If you have questions about the car, shoot me a PM.

Cheers.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is it Trail Rated?

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm hunting salvage yards for a spare badge. ;)

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Nobody believes you about anything anymore.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    That hurts Tillman. :eek:

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Interesting post.

7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    the website "The Smoking Tire" got one of these and said it was surprisingly fast and with a good set of tires would be a potent sleeper, even in the curves.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    all electric with a range of 40 miles. and i think the range is even less if you turn on radio, ac, or heater.

9. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    As a battery engineer, I'm in love with this thread.

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Haha, I read the first post thinking that the volt really must be something to write home about. Then I realized who the OP was.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    It's actually a hybrid. I usually use the aforementioned accessories and we get close to 40 per charge. However, batteries don't like cold, so it's much below 30 degrees, your range will suffer.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Maybe because I'm feeling a bit melancholy today but I say live and let live.

Besides, the Volt is an impressive car.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    whats the engine?

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Briggs & Stratton horizontal crank shaft. :)

No, it's a very small 1.4 liter I believe. What's interesting is that the engine doesn't power the car per se - it merely recharges the battery, and the battery powers the car.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    so what is the range as a hybrid?

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    as long as you keep filling the gas tank, it will keep going. ;)

I think it holds 9 gallons of gas, and it gets around 35 mpg on the highway on purely gas.

However, driving the car cross country isn't its strong suit. It will do it, but it's basically just another small sedan at that point.

But if you're driving habit is 30-40 miles per day, you essentially will never buy gas again.

The electricity cost is approximately $.77 per charge where I live.

17. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    You will NEVER catch me in a GM product....ever...... after what happened to bond holders.

18. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We have a Volt as well-it is an incredible car. Rides well, is very quiet, returns amazing economy, is loaded with tech, includes free OnStar, in sport mode is surprisingly quick, allows solo car pool use, is so far superior to a Prius I'm amazed that folks still buy the Toyota, is a hatch with flip down seat-hauls bikes, Porsche transmissions,ect, has plenty of room for four adults, has been stone cold reliable-in short, We couldn't be happier with the car as a commuter. My normal commute is nearly all electric, so gas stations are rarely needed. I can't wait to see the next generation. As to "government motors", much of the terms of that miserable BK was government mandated and refusing to ever buy a GM car would just ensure that we'd never see any return on our "investment". Considering that every other car manufacturer on the planet has received some type of assistance(direct funds, protective legislation, etc) I don't really have a problem with saving our industry as its hardly a fair playing field.

19. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #19 mikelfrance, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Pure electric seems better to me. You're not lugging around the dead weight of a gas motor all the time. As the OP said, he never goes into gas mode anyway. Why have all that extra stuff up front you never need? If you took it out, would you not have a faster car with less weight and cost that would go farther before needing charging? I think so.

GM is a car company with a gas motor way of thinking. I personally believe the idea of a pure electric car would send shivers down their old guard way of thinking, which is why it's a glorified expensive hybrid.

20. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    yeah, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave. Ok just make sure you dump it as soon the lease is up. Kthxbi

21. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    FYI, has anyone ever thought what might happen to GM once all of its generational branded baby boomer customers die off ? GM, has got a lot more problems then one can think of and with the next cluster **** of mergers coming up between VW and Fiat. Man - H-Bomb.

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    the Babyboom generation of buyers are the ones who stayed away from American cars and bought Japanese & German cars instead
    It was the Babyboom parents gen that were GM customers & they're not buying many cars these days

23. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    and how do you charge the batterys?,a nissan leaf is all electric,and there not selling many,

gm used to build trains ,powered with diesel engs driving gens and running electric motors at the wheels,,''gm should have built a true diesel/electric vehicle''

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Do you add Sta-bil to the fuel since it sits for long periods? Does it recharge with a regular 110v cord, or is it specialized?

:)
    BT

25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I don't add sta-bil but that's probably a good idea.

Two options on the charging:

First, 110V, which takes 12 hours to fully charge the battery (assuming it is completely drained).

Second option is to install a 220V (??) that does the job in 3-4 hours. It's $500-600 to do this.

Option 1 has worked well for us.