Check out this MB auction | FerrariChat

Check out this MB auction

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Bradwilliams, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-S-600/224116792771

Here's a suspect auction in progress. My friend sent me this car a few days ago (he knows I've always had my eye out for the perfect C140 for years) and I figured hey let's take a crack at this. I call up Beverly hills car club who is nice and cordial over the phone and they tell me it's going to ebay auction. Fair enough, this car is typically worth 7-11 grand with this high mileage and condition, celebrity factor while cool typically adds little to no value. I then start reading articles and hype that they have been putting out to the media FULL OF LIES. They claim that this was the car he was chased in days before his retirement back in 1993. An obvious lie as this car is a 1996. Anyway, I politely brought it to the salesman's attention in the email, who doubled down on the lie when I pointed it out. Which makes me now wonder if this is even legitimate. I've seen plenty of dealers pull this stunt in the past 5 or 10 years. Anyway, there is NO WAY this car is worth a penny over 18 grand. Shill bids galore. Looks like they are trying to "set a price" on the car. I'll bet they bought it from the last owner for 12 grand LOL!!!

They're always looking for an angle in this business.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Jordan's autograph alone goes for several thousand if Upper Deck Authenticated. There are enough of his fans to drop that kind of money on an old car of his. His game worn shoes go for 6 figures. He's not just any celebrity.

At any rate, the US govt has printed trillions of dollars more this year to now support the total US equity market (as measured by the Wilshire 5000) to over 40,000 if you index it to 1980 value and dollars in existence. Don't expect prices to crash in nominal dollars, real terms rather if it does...and that will spill over into other asset classes like collectibles sooner rather than later.

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#3 Bradwilliams, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    So a car that would normally sell for 7 to 12 grand is worth 100 grand just because Jordan's butt sat in it for a few years? I can't think of any collector car out there worth 10x its value due to the celebrity alone. If you can, please post it here.

"At any rate, the US govt has printed trillions of dollars more this year to now support the total US equity market (as measured by the Wilshire 5000) to over 40,000 if you index it to 1980 value and dollars in existence. Don't expect prices to crash in nominal dollars, real terms rather if it does...and that will spill over into other asset classes like collectibles sooner rather than later."

All valid points, but the government has done this over and over and over and over and over throughout history. If you don't believe it go look. As egregious as it is, (I'm with you) it is nothing new.

Calling a 90s S class a collectible car is a laugh.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

So now a car is worth 20x it's actual value if owned by a celebrity? Good to know. Unfricking believable.

Again if you know of any celebrity cars worth 20x actual value please post them here. LMAO