Cheat Codes | FerrariChat

Cheat Codes

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Apr 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Just curious why new games don't have cheat codes anymore? Everything is an unlockable. You have to beat the whole game first.

Why can't I just turn on invincible, all guns, unlimited ammo, and mindlessly blast my way around? Or all cars and tracks on a race game. Who has the time and patience to unlock all those things first?

I miss the days of my game genie in my NES.

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cheat codes have been disappearing ever since XBOX introduced the achievements. The only game I remember playing in the last few years with real cheat codes is GTA and they disable achievements. I definitely miss them, I hate having to play through an entire game.

3. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Agreed. Stupid. I could care less about "achieving" anything in a video game. I just want to play.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yup, video games are simply a way to do things I can't (or shouldn't) do in the real world. Luckily it's fairly easy to find 100% save games for most stuff now and not too hard to get them working.

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I disagree. Achievements is one of the better things to have happened in gaming. If implemented correctly it makes you do things in games you wouldn't usually do, getting the most out of them, tho some of them are a pain in the balls to get.

Lots of game shelf lives are actually extended due to achievements and you are more likely to play with randoms or befriend people to help you get these achievements.

Anyway they are optional.

PC games you can always hexedit, run cheat engine or get trainers so it doesn't really matter if they give you codes or not it's been like that since Day1.

http://www.cheatengine.org/

Plus if you hack your xbox/ps3 you can cheat too but that means you get on top of the leader-boards unfairly and ruin the game for other players.

Unlockables is how its been in gaming for the past 12years now~, not really anything to do with achievements. It started back in CS days. Not all games do it, it's usually done in Multiplayer.

What some companies are doing now tho is charging to get everything unlocked...

While I enjoy steamrolling a game after I finished it, using cheats because you are lazy isn't exactly "playing" either.

To each their own :)

6. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I agree they extend the life of the game... but I do wish they were optional. I like being lazy and plowing through a game in god mode with all guns. At least give me the option. And I don't want to hack a game.

As far as ruining a multiplayer leaderboard, why don't they just DQ you from all that if you cheat? I'm fine with that as I don't play online anyway.

I agree it ruins it for the "purist" out there that like spending endless hours working to unlock every little thing. To each their own. I'm just asking for the option for the other customers out there.

As far as charging for unlockables.... This IS America. :) Of course I'd prefer they didn't as I already paid for the game.

7. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    http://kotaku.com/5902377/im-sick-of-the-disturbingly-neat-lives-video-games-expect-us-to-enjoy

This is kind of to my point about having no desire to spend time jumping through hoops to rack up all the achievement trophies.

The game I've been playing is Goldeneye 007 Reloaded for XBox 360. First video game I've played in years (Just bought the X360.. last console was a PS2).

I loved Goldeneye 007 for N64... played it for countless countless hours. I had all the cheats unlocked in the cheat menu. Why did they take that out? Now all you get is paintball mode and some Moonraker skin?

8. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good article, I love Skyrim, but I haven't played a single quest in a very long time.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Games are too mindless and easy for cheat codes these days. The industry had grown into a science that's so obsessed with perfection, that they wound up neutering the games soul.

10. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Haven't played a real video game in a while, but when I had my PS3 and had the hard drive crash, I had pretty much everything unlocked. I was upset that I lost everything, but when I got it back from Sony, I installed a Game Save from online, threw it on a USB drive and put that in the PS3 and downloaded it and everything was unlocked.

I loved playing GTA4 with cheat codes, especially when you beat the game and you just want to play around with the helicopter and just wreak havoc!

11. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Exactly