430 - Cheapest odb reader that can read clutch life? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

430 Cheapest odb reader that can read clutch life?

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Exactly.

He is working on a 360, though, and my understanding is that the denominator is thus different???

Kevin

flash32 likes this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Didn't catch that ..thanks for pointing that out ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Michael Schmidt

Aug 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Schmidt

I think you have to enter the "type" of F430. These readers always list several option. I usually pick the first one. Any idea which one to select from the menu for a basic 2008 coupe?

4. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Guys, I just took a look and the launch x431 pro mini is near $800.
    In posts above, $330 is being tossed about. Am I looking at the wrong one? Or is there a super secret source for them?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Has anyone with an 09 and the AP200 been able to read the "self calibrated index for clutch wear" parameter. I'm using the 08 (there isn't an 09) F430 option, but mine either shows up as 0 or "not active". Need more info before I contact Autel to report a bug in their software.

Cheers,
    Corey

6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Not sure where that came from either. For the safety of Amazon ordering, looks like around 730. If you're willing to take your chances and order from more shady appearing places, maybe down to 600.

There are other Launch x431 earlier versions that are cheaper, but won't do the job.

Kevin

jag-oo-r likes this.
  7. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    HEY guys on my 2006 430 its showing a negative clutch amount. just got the car but clutch was changed 3-4k miles ago

261. Clutch wear index(percent) -3.824 %

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would guess that the format is incorrect ..and that is a while number .. 3800 sounds right .. I wonder what others are seeing

9. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    wouldn’t negative means it’s over 100%?

10. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    hey thanks. Your instructions were right on. So I have all these weird faults scared the crap out of me lol. Tell me I shouldn’t worry.

also clutch was negative 3%. -(3.84)%. Strange it’s negative no?

11. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
  12. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Clutch

And errors that scared the crap out of me (got the car 2 weeks ago still trying to get it ready for smog. I think battery was replaced. Told that can cause these errors? Tell me not to worry! I didn’t clear them them. Figured let me pass smog first get the car monitors ready

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    There’s definitely some errors in there that relate to the power being interrupted. There’s a whole bunch of others though. I would save what you have, and clear everything. Some of those faults could be historical, or just transient things that you would never notice. If you clear everything now, go for a drive, then do a full rescan, you’ll be able to see if there is anything in there you need to get after now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

flash32 likes this.
  14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

15. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    ok thanks. still not sure what to do with my negative clutch life

16. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    have reciepts and called shop. whole clutch was changed about 3-4k miles ago

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    As I mentioned earlier . This may be what is called the clutch wear index ..which a good clutch has a value between 3000 to 4000 .. not 100percent sure ..just a guess they are using the wrong format ... Be interested what a SD tool would state ...also did you pick the right selection for tcu value when using the tool ? You should use the older version on tool since you have. 2006

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I suspect that’s the tool not calculating it properly. Have you tried using the info in this thread to do the wear calculation manually?

flash32 and kes7u like this.
  19. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    THIS!!!! Why rely on a misleading number when you can calculate the correct wear? (assuming New CCP was set at the time of clutch replacement, of course)

Kevin

flash32 likes this.
  20. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi guys,

I am thinking about picking up an Autel Ap200 and read in the reviews that it's bound to whatever phone you originally paired with and wouldn't be able to pair to a different or new phone in the future. Would any of you guys be able to see if you can download the app on a different device and confirm if it works ok? I would think that the app would require you to log in, so hopefully the phone/device doesn't matter.

Thanks for any help!

21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The device isn’t paired to your phone- it’s paired to your account. I use mine on two different phones both signed into the same account.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks Robin for the confirmation. I just got mine but when I attempt to go into "service" and read the VIN, it brings in some random VIN and thinks my 458 is a 2016 Jeep. I manually entered my VIN and there's no way to change the jeep vehicle profile. I click OK and when I attempt to reset the oil service light, nothing happens. So I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has actually successfully cleared the service light. I downloaded the "ferrari" package in the AP200 app, but when I click on it, it asks me to download "Dian-Europe" sister app, which only offers scan functions. When I try to go to "service" --> "oil reset", I see a "demo" line item but no "Ferrari" or way to add anything to it.

Thanks,

Ant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Ok, so I got my Autel AP200 all hooked up.
    I've got a 21.938mm clutch position closed. It says from New that number was 19.631.
    So: 21.938-19.631= 2.307mm ÷ 5.6=0.4119*100 = 41.1964% wear. Is that right?
    'cuz that scares me, a lot. Dan had the clutch checked less than a year and 4k miles ago and it was at 27% wear. I've tried to be very, very careful with the clutch, as I was hoping to avoid doing a clutch during my 1st year of ownership (so my wife doesn't wig-out at maintenence costs, hahaha.)

What does the "wear index" mean?

Screen shots below. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

24. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What year model do you have ?

25. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    in fact, diving deeper; Clutch was replaced at 21,476 miles. At 27,917 Ferrari of Seattle measured it at 15% wear, (they showed the clutch position at 20.5mm, so our formula in this thread; 20.5-19.6=0.9/5.6=0.1607*100=16%.... pretty close). So that means the first 6441 miles the clutch was wearing at a rate of 2.3%/1k miles. The next 11,344 miles the wear was 1.05%/1k miles. But the most recent 3789 miles have worn at a rate of 3.7%/1k miles. THIS IS VERY CONCERNING TO ME.
    Now, I guess it's possible that much of this happened from the transport driver who unloaded and loaded it at least once while neither Dan nor I were present. But it's also possible I haven't figured-out the clutch as well as I think I have. I'm going to have to monitor this very carefully for the next little while. I'm open to suggestions. (BOY AM I!)