Cheap Track Car? | FerrariChat

Cheap Track Car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by LMP234, Jul 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Hi all quick question:

For business reasons (will need supplies to fix up some apartments I might rent out to college students once I'm in college), I might be selling my 93 Toyota supra in favor of a truck or 4 door car.

I will have some left over money (lets say up to 6 grand), and I would REALLY like to have a track car. Thats pretty much all this car would get used for, so I'm looking for something fairly cheap, fairly fast, and fairly reliable. Ive thought of the late 80's supras, the late 80's RX7's or perhaps a mustang 5.0.

Im wondering if you guys have any suggestions/thoughts?

2. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Celica all-trac?
    Miata?
    old, old 911?

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    yea Miata, or maybe a Hyndai Tiburon but that might be two new and expensive

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Mustang 5.0 makes a nice tough fast cheap track car but an early C4 Corvette is just a little more $ & a lot better looking :)

5. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    If you want to have LOTS of fun and find out if you're really any good as a driver, go spec-Miata racing. Reasons:

Cheap

It's a one-design class, you're competing against folks in cars that are pretty equal

Small bore sports cars make you a better driver because you CAN'T afford a mistake.

Lots of races around the country

You can still use it on nice days and put the top down

That said, a Porsche 944 Turbo can be had pretty cheaply. Faster than most 911s on the track, cheaper to fix than a 911.

The Mustang or Corvette suggestion is a good one as well but you're starting to get into some $ if you want to compete.

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Leon,

Give us an idea of your price range.

Some people think 30K is cheap (E36 M3), while others think that is astonmical and point to an average Spec Miata at 10K while others think that is too high and point to a 3-4K Honda CRX.

Depends on what you define as cheap.

Cheers,

Jon P. Kofod (who has been on the track racing in a 100K Ferrari and a 15K Honda)
    www.flatoutracing.net

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Miatas may be fun but they're pretty slow

Vettes & Mustangs are much faster :) & more fun in the rain LOL

8. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Thanks for all the advice so far.

Flatoutracing:
    Like I said, Id like to only spend (at most) about 6k. I'm sure if I learned of a great exception than I might be willing to spend a little more. For the purpose of this thread, lets keep the cars 8k and under. I'm a future college student on a budget, cant be spending too much.

Erik330:
    The Miata idea sounds fun. Thats a car that I just kinda spaced. I'll look into that. I have 0 racing experience, and would just like to build some track time in a cheap car, blow off some steam and have some fun.

William H:
    Depending on the price of the C4, I might look into it. I really could care less about looks for this car, as it will only be seen driving back and forth to and from the track...all I plan on using it for.

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

9. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Forgot to mention I would prefer RWD suggestions.

Thanks again.

10. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Some good track cars that come to mind:

Porsche 944
    Miata
    Honda S2000
    '96-99 BMW M3
    C5 Corvette
    Mini Cooper S

HTH.

-DC

11. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
  12. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
  13. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Those might even be a bit much. As for slow? I wouldnt know. They're v8's and people are suggesting Miatas so I would imagine they are quite a bit faster than that unless their extremely heavy. I'm on a (tight) budget, so I only have a narrow field of cars available to me.

Ive been looking at some of the old Porches mentioned here. They look good, v8's and RWD, but is the maintnence going to be alot due to the fact that its a porsche?

14. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Where did you get the V8 from? the 944's are 4 cylinders...

-DC

15. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
  16. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Ahh my bad. I happened across some cheap 928's. Didnt mean to generalize.