Chassis Type? Engine Type? | FerrariChat

Chassis Type? Engine Type?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by 134282, Jul 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Does anyone know the chassis and engine types of the FF?

Chassis type of the 456M is F116CL, engine type is F116 CL (F116 C for autos); chassis type of the 612 is F137, engine type is F133F. So there's no discernible order.

Anyone know? Anyone already have an FF? Engine stampings (type and number) have been readily visible on most late model Ferraris.

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I seem to remember the car being referred to as F151.

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This is a start! Thank you!

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carbon- This will be a completely new engine type, a 65 deg V12 with direct injection. Ferrari will also be trying to get rid of the 10W-60 oil used in the F140B Enzo and F140C 599 engines for greater efficiency. And also get rid of the additives used to get rid of cold hydraulic lifter noise.

I sent out a query to Ferrari on the engine type and we shall see what comes back.

Here is the slide confirming the chassis type. The 599 replacement will be the F152.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    hey Taz, what oil are they going to? any idea on service intervals?

Porsche went to 0-W40 and 20k intervals, then retreated significantly to 10-12k. will be interesting to see what Ferrari does here.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chas- I would expect a 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil, but could be surprised by a lighter oil, like a 0W-30 or 5W-30. Annual or 7500 miles is what I would expect, but the mileage could be much higher, like it is on Mercedes and BMW. Especially since that has the potential to save money on the free 7 year service plan. The Californias are being driven much more than Ferrari norms, and the FF could be the same.

Imagine, someone actually driving a Ferrari like they were just cars. Have to love that.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    :eek:

A wonderful prospect I think. I can't wait to have an FF :)

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Terry, you never cease to amaze me; thank you. How did you come across this slide?

9. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Taz, Will you be keeping your "old Reliable" or moving to the FF at some point?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    PW- I cannot even afford the car I have, and a new Ferrari is out of the question. Just hope to be able to hang on to old reliable.

Carbon- Here is the whole set. Just assumed you had seen them. They came out last year.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Whoa, Terry, thank you very much! I had no idea this stuff even existed!

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    really? some of those slides have been posted here more than once.

if you read closely, and interpret the business-speak correctly, one of the slides contains information regarding "quantity over quality", artificially lowering supply in the US, and whoring themselves out to crap merchandise.

:(

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Don't frowny face.

If the day ever comes that I amass excessive wealth, I'm gonna get you a 599 XX. So that you can see where all of the brand licensing and 2+2 money goes. Ferrari needs to jump on the big business bandwagon or they'll go the Lamborghini route, sharing cup holders with turbo Beetles.

I hate to pull the economy card (but I will anyway, 'cause it's easy), but in this economy, there aren't throngs of starry-eyed buyers at the factory gates, pleading to be put on the list for a new car $100K over sticker. Those days are gone. As far as auto manufacturers go, Ferrari is a mom and pop shop; frankly it's amazing they've managed to not only stay afloat this long but actually thrive.

Ferrari needs to churn out Italian versions of Boxsters and Cayennes so that they can continue creating automotive double rainbows like the 599 GTO for us (and by us I mean you guys with the money).

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Ferrari is NOT a mom & pop shop; they are owned by FIAT, one of the world's largest automobile companies. You can't use the Boxster/Cayenne analogy here, Porsche was (at the time) a true independent.

Ferrari should be to FIAT what Bugatti is to VW; ultra low volume, ultra exclusive, ultra performance. instead, you get every eurotrash kid wearing Ferrari gear while rockin' daddy's Audi A4. Harvard MBA money grab 101. unfortunately that will come at a cost, when the brand is a shadow of its former self. see also: Harley Davidson. shame on them.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bugatti is a prime example of a company that went the Lamborghini route; first it was a French company, then it was Italian - what is it now? I don't even know who owns it now.

How much money is Fiat giving Ferrari?

Plus Bugatti isn't spending half a billion dollars a year to go racing.

We both know that if Ferrari was suffering financially, Fiat would care as much as Casey Anthony.

Zonda and Koenigsegg are the new ultra low volume, ultra exclusive automakers. Ferrari could never go back to making a few cars a year, even if they wanted to. This is the way to stay in the black.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Bugatti is owned by VW; you'd know that if you read my post :)

the days of Ferrari selling road cars to fund F1 are long gone. the days of Ferrari being run by a cantankerous old man named Enzo are long gone, too. I'm not calling for a return to some sepia-toned photograph of what Ferrari was 50 years ago. but a return to say, 2000, when the F1 team beat the hell out of the best in the world, the road cars were rare, exotic, and sexy, and you didn't see Ferrari gear everywhere.

when you have an exclusive luxury brand, then drastically increase its production in a short time span, then "leverage the brand" through crappy merchandise, you kill it. and that's what we're seeing, Ferrari aficionados; the death of Ferrari.

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ferrari still hasn't crested 7,000 units per year - although they might this year. But even at 7,000 per year, that's such a small number.

There are way too many options out there these days, for Ferrari to be able to make ultra exclusive cars pandering to a select few.

Ferrari is still selling road cars to finance their efforts at the track. Everything they sell goes into the F1 coffers. That's why we have the FF and ball-polished wheels and sun-repelling leather and out-of-range paint colors and Enzo Power Wheels for the kids.

Ferrari didn't sell out, they cashed in. And while the enthusiast in us wants to see Ferrari continue pissing in the mainstream, the capitalist in us knows they need to start swimming in it.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    errr, no. but nice try ;)

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Okay, maybe not everything; but a lot.

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The death of Ferrari will come when they make 32 special editions of one model.
    :D

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If you pay attention in the Pcar subforum you'll know that I hammer Porsche pretty hard for that one too.

22. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's because you keeps it real.

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Don't give him street cred!

24. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Taz, Whatever may come, with all the help and facts you provide, you deserve the recognition as one of the most helpful persons on F-Chat, as well as fan of the marque.

25. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    100% agree. Terry has given so many peope references, resources and valuable advice.
    So what if he likes wheat beer ! We all have our self indugences !