Charlotte Area Cars and Coffee -Cancelled Indefinitely! | FerrariChat

Charlotte Area Cars and Coffee -Cancelled Indefinitely!

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by MC36, Feb 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MC36

MC36 Karting

Apr 24, 2009
    Charlotte Areas Cars and Coffee Event- Cancelled Indefinitely

Silly me, I thought I could help foster and grow the car crazed culture that is present here in Charlotte, but the immature actions by what was at first a select few but now what is adopted to many has ended our Cars and Coffee event indefinitely. Cars and Coffee Charlotte is no more!

I have run the range in the last 24 hrs of extreme anger and sadness because six plus years of hard work and effort is going down the drain. I can't tell you the countless hours, money and effort that was put in to build something wonderful from the ground up for the Car Culture in Charlotte to be ruined by a few that use their head as only a mere hatrack!

I have tried it all from posting the rules numerous times, hanging up signage, creating a police presence, getting others to help spread the word but nothing seems to help. I love cars and the people that love cars but under the current circumstances someone is going to get hurt or killed and I can't have that on my watch. I hate to see something that I have been working so hard to create come to an end but before someone gets seriously injured or killed I'm done! Sometimes you don't know how good you have it until it is gone and I believe Charlotte will realize this in a short time. The time, effort and great expense that this has taken was done out of pure joy for cars and those that surround them but it is getting too taxing and too dangerous to really enjoy

I'm am very grateful for Mattie's and the NC Music Factory's hospitality over the years but as you can see, no good deed goes unpunished and there is no reason that their businesses should not be jeopardized for some of our foolishness. Not only are the actions of a select few going to ruin it for those that behaved themselves and really enjoyed the event but it is going to hurt some small business owners as well.

I'm very grateful for the experiences that Cars and Coffee has given me and for the great friends that I have made out of it but all good things must come to an end and Cars and Coffee Charlotte is no more!

Best wishes,

Michael

2. tdw28210

tdw28210 Karting

Michael,

Thanks for all your time, money and efforts over the years.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have some ideas for c&c in the lake norman area.

please pm me if interested.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm sorry to hear. Using the brain and driving a car can be tough for some..

5. blaze

blaze Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    That's unfortunate, but you just can't fix stupid.

6. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Dang, it figures!

I attended one when it was up north, and several at the latest location, and always had a good time. The January event was freezing cold, but there still tons of folks there, and Foreign Cars Italia had free coffee and goodies.

Thanks for your efforts. It is difficult to legislate common sense.

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I guess I'm not on board here but what exactly happened to cause the termination of such a fine event?

DETAILS, Please.

Bob Z.

8. tgeddings

tgeddings Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2010
    Redneck Riviera, SC
    Full Name:
    Tim Geddings
  9. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why don't you keep it to a smaller group? For example, Italian Sports Cars and Coffee. Change the location every once in a while to keep the undesirables out. You are correct "no good dead goes left unpunished" and "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

10. Deiger

Deiger Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    There is a smaller meet we do here called Cars and Cappaccino. Which consists of just European cars. Just mature adults. Hopefully, it will remain that way.

Sad to hear on the Cars and Coffee. I know how hard Michael has worked on it, and it stinks that a few idiots ruined it for everyone. I knew it was going to be a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed. I'm glad that the incidents that did happen did not result in any injuries.

Deiger

11. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What a bummer and all at the feeble mind and hands of a schmuck.

In the Triangle we were run off from Brier Creek because of this sort of thing. A new event at Waverly Place has sprung.

But, occasionally, the F-chat folks and sensible friends meet separately at a location announced here in this regional part of the forum. That might be an option going forward.

12. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Thank you for your work and determination, Michael. I have enjoyed MANY meets from the old location to this new one, which was so perfect in many ways. I'm very sad and disappointed that it will no longer be an automatic plan the first of each month. I will miss such a variety of car type and seeing old friends.

This sucks.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You would have to peel me off the ground laughing if someone did something that stoooooopid at our C+C (provided driver was OK). What a tard. Now his insurance claim of the "deer" that hit him might hit a snag with that video...

I'm glad our Charleston gathering is smaller and more sensible.

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    This is why we can't have nice things.

15. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Aggravates me to see people helping this clown.

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Agreed. I was asking myself "where's the cop?". If I had done this.. a cop would be on me in a second.

The "carnival" atmosphere that promotes this also irritates me to no end. Nitwits standing on the side of the road hooting and filming guys what can't keep their cars on the road. WTF is that?

17. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Only because you are being watched.

18. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This.

19. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    We've had very similar issues here in Raleigh…you can't fix stupid…even when Police are present and ticket people @ each C&C. I've washed my hands of the local C&C for all the reasons cited in the original post.

For the Italians, we've begun organizing an "Italians Only" gathering that's not advertised beyond FChat. Not sure what we'll do once the new Italian's location becomes known outside our small group.

20. Deiger

Deiger Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    I agree. Not sure if you saw my post a few up, but the Cars and Cappacinno, as it is called, is small and is held at the Caribou Coffee off of Fairview Road the third Sunday of every month. Normally there is only a couple dozen cars that show, but owners are all mature adults.

Swing by, this will be my main stay from now on.

Deiger

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    True. The red car has that effect. :)

If missuh' Po-Po would beat me with his night club after crashing my red car like that…

I'd actually understand. Denting the perfect curve of a Ferrari fender should have severe consequences.

22. tdw28210

tdw28210 Karting

Thanks for the mention Deiger. It has been pretty chilly the last 2 months. We are going to a temporary venue for this month that will offer us some shelter. Details at the link below:

Cars and Cappuccino ? Charlotte / February 2014 Edition **LOCATION ALERT** | Cars and Cappuccino.com

23. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I agree too. It is why I quit going

IMO when C&C stopped being a group of friends and got facebook pages and email announcements to 100s of people, it changed to an "Event" and not a meeting.

I would rather we went to the old ways. Just us. No need to advertise to the freeking world or ask for "corporate sponsorship." We just agree we will all get coffee at a local starbucks one day... then a different one the next month.

24. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hate to hear it for you guys down there. Regretfully, I never made it to any of the meets in Charlotte, despite visits to the area every couple of weeks. I had always wanted to see what the turnout was down there but I guess I won't get a chance now.

I'm hoping the C&C Raleigh/Cary doesn't head down the same path; at this past meeting, we had someone in a brand new 911 GT3 get pulled over after blasting out of the parking lot, and we have had similar incidents in the past (although it had been a while since I had seen someone get ticketed). The turnouts here usually end up overflowing out of two parking lots so I'm getting a bit worried.

I love to hear a great engine in the rarefied rev zone, but if it means cancelling C&C I don't.