Charles Leclerc- Ferrari Driver | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc- Ferrari Driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jun 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can see him leaving Ferrari in 2 or 3 years if they don't give him a competitive car.

Everybody knows his worth and top teams will be after him like a shot.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    No rumors. Just my personal opinion. Agreed he's dealing with it now but give him some time and let's see how he deals with it in the future.

Driving FOR Ferrari isn't the same as driving WITH Ferrari.

Jakuzzi, william and crinoid like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree. I wasn't a fan of his post race whinging a few years ago in Austria, one of the things he stated was ''I guess this is allowed'' or among those lines. Well, he backed up his words and started racing just as hard at the very next race I believe. Great to see.

I also can't see him simply go to another team. First of all Ferrari has been supporting him for many years now and of course he's adored by many Ferrari fans. Speaks the language and so on. The problem is he's very, very good...so good that Red Bull wouldn't want him alongside Max, and similarly at Mercedes, who will be getting Russell at some point. I can't see him move to Renault, ever. Mclaren an outside possibility but would it be a step up or sideways at best? My guess is the latter.

The only reason I can see him leave is a big falling out combined with Max or Russell moving to Ferrari.

4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    2022 will be crucial for Charles.( and Binotto).
    I can’t see him staying with Ferrari if the car is another dog.
    His will to win is more important than his love for Ferrari and this is perfectly understandable for a so skilled driver.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    True, but he doesn't really have anywhere to go. Mercedes can get Russell for peanuts. Breaking Leclerc away from his contract will cost them tens of millions. No way will they do that. Red Bull have no need for him unless Max would go to Mercedes. So Leclerc is stuck.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We don't know how Aston Martin and McLaren will do in future.
    I could see Leclerc at McLaren one day.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very tough to say. Neither Mclaren or Aston are a full factory team. Mclaren is the strongest outside possibility though.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Charles is a Ferrari fan at heart, the team will deliver and he will bring it home for us...give it some time...not too much i hope....

stavura, Bas, 635CSI and 2 others like this.
  9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That, is a rather romantic vision.
    But then we Ferrari fans are a romantic bunch.
    Forza !

stavura, 375+, furoni and 3 others like this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    So true !

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Charles Leclerc for DLui Magazine

"I was very young when I took the opportunity to watch the Monaco GP from a friend's balcony. On the streets, I was only looking for the red car. I can't even explain to you why. I was probably born as a Ferrari fan without knowing it."

"What was @ScuderiaFerrari for me before I got there? An unreachable dream. So when I look at myself in red today, I am not only proud of it. It is still, every day, a total emotion."

"I know how good it made me feel as a kid to see my idols on the podium, winning races and titles. And so I know how much we need to do well."

What do you guys lack in comparison to our opponents?

"I know what they will never have and that only we have: the Tifosi. Millions of fans around the world. The passion that Ferrari creates/arouses, they [other teams] will always envy it."

Your new teammate @Carlossainz55 wants to win the title in 5 years.

(jokes): "I would make it shorter: let's do it within two or three years!"

"I miss them [his father and @Jules_Bianchi ] every day. I race for them too, hoping they will be proud of me. Not having them anymore takes away love, of course, but also very important advice."

"My father and Jules were the ones I went to when I was at a crossroad: with my career or my private life. Yes, those two losses made me grow up much faster than other people my age. And neither of them managed to see me driving a Ferrari...."

What would that moment have been like? Who knows how many times you've tried to imagine it?

"With dad, there would have been so many tears. I know how much he sacrificed for me, to bring me here, he would have been super proud."

"With Jules, pats on the back and laughter, and from the time I was five until I was 13 I spent every weekend at his family's track in the south of France. These are the best memories. We competed with friends, it was pure joy of life."

on Italy: "What can I say, it's my second home. I used to come here a lot when I was racing karts. I lived in Italy for a while."

Little Charles wants to get where you are? What would you tell him?

"I would tell him to keep on dreaming, to always aim for the stars, to have determination and patience, because at times I have not been merciful towards myself."

"But you can't forget that this is a job but also a sport. And that to be really happy, you have to love what you are and what you do!"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Whatever happened to shiny paint ???

kes7u likes this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Picchu88, kes7u, nietoale1 and 2 others like this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Leclerc: 2021 cars more difficult to manage on corner entry
    By: Jonathan Noble
    Co-author: Roberto Chinchero
    Apr 9, 2021, 6:51 AM
    Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc says Formula 1's 2021 cars are more difficult to manage on the entry to corners thanks to the new aero rules.
    As part of a push by the FIA to slow cars down for this year, a number of changes were made to the regulations to cut downforce.

A section of floor has been removed ahead of the rear wheels, plus new restrictions have been imposed on brake ducts and diffuser dimensions.

With downforce cut by up to 10 percent, the cars have been slowed – and Leclerc has noticed a change in approach even if the 2021 challengers do not require an all-new style.

"In terms of driving [style] there were no changes, but there is something different," he said in an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com's Italian site.

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / Motorsport Images

"You have to push a little less when entering corners, because the rear of the car is more difficult to manage due to the modified floor."

Leclerc is a driver who likes the rear end of his cars to be loose, as it allows him better rotation in the corners. It was believed to be a factor in why he struggled much less with last year's Ferrari than then teammate Sebastian Vettel.

Reflecting on what he learned last year about why he had the edge over Vettel in getting the most out of the SF1000, he said: "I think in the end it's really a question of feeling and driving style.

"I like a rear that moves so that I can use it to turn the car. Other drivers suffer from this aspect. The SF1000 had a rear that wasn't very stable, and that was never a problem for me, but I can't answer for Seb. It's just a characteristics that suits my driving style."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/leclerc-2021-cars-more-difficult-to-manage-on-corner-entry-/6166264/

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    With a larger footprint than the 488 Pista.

kes7u likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    kes7u and nietoale1 like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Seriously what do you do with a modern F1 car? It takes a village just to start the thing. Garage art IMO.

stavura, ingegnere, william and 2 others like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Maybe he can squeeze a V10 from the 2004 car in there...

stavura, kes7u, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Indeed, but if that is the car he won Spa and Monza in, when he is 80 years old with grand kids he will be able to say to them that is the car I won my first F1 race in.

stavura, 635CSI, jcurry and 1 other person like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Man cave bro, just like TK with his Audi R18 E-tron in his man cave.

kes7u and 375+ like this.
  21. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Wonder if they gave it to him with all the working bits or removed the power unit like they & the other constructors usually do. I've read Ferrari gave Kimi his car fully-intact.

22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    He's losing precious years, years he can't afford to lose. He either gets a championship car now, or he'll end up just another coulda/woulda/shoulda...like Perez and Ricardo. There have been lots of fast drivers who never won a single WDC. And there have been simply good drivers who got in the right car at the right time and became a champion. Nico Rosberg was as lucky as his father. So was Nigel Mansell. Lauda didn't suffer fools, he didn't bow to a team and play Mr. Nice Guy...and he won three WDC. Leclerc has to become more agressive, not in his driving but in his career management.

william likes this.
  23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Coulthard, Alesi, Pironi, and over 1/2 of those who ever got to race in F1.......

Agreed, Lauda did not suffer fools well......

william likes this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He can do that by focusing on beating Sainz in this dog car. Then doing it again in next year's machine. If no hint title is coming look for the faster car with a solid record of performance. Not many other strategies out there. Like FA, he must make the car do more than it can for a current leading team to take him on. I think he has the skill to do this. 2 years more and he must leave if Ferrari have no hint of performance for a title.

william likes this.