Changing alternator belt | FerrariChat

Changing alternator belt

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aidanparte, Sep 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I've been trying to change the belt on the upper alternator on my 400i and have been having zero luck so far after spending hours and hours on it - it seem like the gap between the pulley on the crankshaft and the engine casing is narrower than the width of the belt itself. Has anyone done this job or got any tips? I'm at the end of my tether.

Thanks in advance!

Aidan

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had exactly the same problem and have not yet solved it. I too spent hours cursing at the thing.

Since my rebuilt alternators each puts out 14 volts, I can run with just one alternator until I get it figured out.

John

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    John

Thanks for your reply - I just checked out my alternators and they are both 14V! Woohoo! I'll have my belt replaced when I get more major work done, such as the valve clearances.

How long have you been running your car on just the one alternator?

Aidan

4. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Yeah, not an ideal way to run but about 1,000 miles this summer. I've got this and a whole list of minor things that need to be attended to over the winter.

John

5. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    I've removed and re-fitted the alternator and the belt last week. The gap between the pulley (it is not the one on the crankshaft but on the hydraulic pump) is very small indeed and I was sceptical about getting the belt out and back again. However It worked with some tricks.
    Since the position of the pulley changes slightly with the adjustment of the tension for the belts of the hydraulic pump the gap with may depend on the position of the pump. I would suggest to loosen the pump for increasing the gap between pulley and casing.

good luck

Peter

6. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Peter

Thanks for the tip - I'll have another go at the job when I've got a couple of hours to spare.

Aidan

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I wanted to get this fixed as I was worried about the battery running down, so I took it to the guy who looks after my W124 Merc - he replaced the belt in 2 minutes! He used grease and a screwdriver to slip the belt on from the bottom side of the pulley, not the top portion where the tight clearance is.

8. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, well, well, I'll have to try that, maybe as a project this afternoon! I'll feel like an idiot if I didn't try that approach before.

John