Changes at Boeing | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Changes at Boeing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Oct 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Got to hate that auto-correct function.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    From Bloomberg:

Boeing is under regulatory scrutiny again after a survey of company engineers found a sizable percentage said they couldn't raise safety concerns without interference. The FAA action is just the latest to look at Boeing's safety practices after twin fatal crashes of the company's 737 Max planes.

3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    This is obviously ingrained company culture. 'They' (decision makers) think they know better. This relates to the Starliner (ISS crew capsule) debacle as well.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The old saying that "Crap" flows downhill is truly illustrated here. I worked at Boeing at a crucial time when William A. Allen was president. He was a man of impeccable character and integrity. His self confidence and confidence in his subordinates filtered down through the entire company. You had to back up everything that you did with examples of outstanding work and honesty in whatever problems that you had. No excuses, no blaming somebody else. The prime purpose of your being there was to produce the best airplane possible. Of course, there were always the little empire builders but they had to produce like everybody else. I doubt that there will be another engineering department and manufacturing department with the years of experience and mature and inherited skills that we had then. Some of the repairs to damaged airplanes that the AOA crews did then was unbelievable.

Ak Jim, Ryan S., boxerman and 2 others like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I hope that Boeing does a very vigorous defense on this. As these were international flights by non-US airlines the ICAO limits on passenger compensation limits should be raised. With the Lion Air incident they should be pointing out that (a) on the prior day that aircraft had a fault that was correctly identified by a pilot riding the jump seat, no problem when the correct procedure was applied, (b) the overnight maintenance of the aircraft did a box swap but apparently did nothing more to verify fixing the problem, (c) Lion Air's pilot training and recurrent practices have been reported as woefully inadequate. As for the Ethiopia incident they can point to the crew flying through a flock of birds which set in motion a sequence of events. One of these events is that the pilots never throttled back.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The point is the ramifications of bad decisions continue for a long time. Therefore, it is cheaper to make good decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    True, but the continued crucifixion of Boeing by the underinformed needs to end. Airbus has a long list of skeletons in their closet too.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hopefully the next time the MBAs recommend cutting corners, they will be ignored. For example, I doubt BP has changed its corporate culture after the Deepwater Horizon blowout. When it works, and it doesn’t always work, google Purdue, our legal punishes those who deliberately make bad decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Kuba and Boomhauer like this.