458 - Change your plugs..... | FerrariChat

458 Change your plugs.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I took my '13 Spider to my indy yesterday for some fluid and filter changes and also to address a slight stumble we both seemed to think was present. We decided to start at plugs.

He had a bear of a time removing the coils from the plugs, most likely due to its 8 years of age, the excessive FL heat, the Spider engine location (heat sink), and the cycles over 17k miles.

He managed to remove and replaced plugs without breaking any of the coils, but he called me at the beginning of the job to mention his concern about possible breakage. I told him to go for it.

Luckily none were damaged in the process. The car runs noticeably better as a result. Labor and parts less than a grand, and I feel I skirted the devil down the road.

So, if you're thinking at all about doing it (or having it done), I strongly recommend it. These cars are approaching 10 or more years of age (it's not necessarily the mileage). And change your air filters, too.

2. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe plugs are replaced every 4 years according to normal maintenance (annual service)

3. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Changed mine for the first time at 10 years & 23K miles as a precaution at my indy. They still looked good, but as you said they can be tricky to get out at that age. Had the DCT gear and also wet clutch fluid chaged also.

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    On the coils being hard to get out, if you pull the coil up slightly off of center about 7 or 8mm(no more than that)you will break the seal the coil has with the head port and they will pop right out. When you get the coil out look at the rubber seal design and you will see why a slight off center pull action is needed.

Solid State and DefunctNeurons like this.
  5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    My warranty booklet says every 37.5k miles.

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Whatever he did, he managed to get them all out without incident. The car is much smoother, and no misfires at higher RPMs, so well worth the small investment.

DCT, clutch and brake fluids will be done next oil change, which is only a few months away.

So......I'm headed north for another Appalachian adventure in late May/ early June with a fellow Fchatter.

Anyone else want in? You won't be disappointed (as close to a guarantee as exists!).

VAF84 likes this.
  7. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    I have a 458 Italia and live near the Appalachian trail in southwest Virginia. I can show you some amazing back roads around here. Best of all, there's virtually no traffic. PM me if you plan to go to the area around Blacksburg or Charlottesville.

VAF84 and wthensler like this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Unless you have a faulty plug there is almost no chance you will notice any difference changing the spark plugs at four year intervals. Probably do more harm than good.

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I agree with the four year interval - shouldn't be necessary.

In my case, my mechanic and I were wondering if these were even changed at all. He inspected the plugs and was a bit taken aback.

In any event, the car runs better - not my imagination.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Aluminum heads, steel threads on plugs, mean potential for galvanic corrosion. So taking out the plugs every four years isn’t crazy. If you think it’s a waste to throw them away, you can always just put them back. The key is to take them out. Every four years. But it’s just as much work to put in used plugs as it is new.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

GSF355 likes this.
  11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Possibly. Interested in the details.

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This week I had to take the 458 in as the car threw 2 codes, one a CEL, but the more worrisome was a Cat overtemp red warning message.
    The dealer read the codes and after checking the plugs found one that was fouled and not burning all the fuel in that cylinder. The tech believes the unburnt fuel enter the exhaust and caused the cat to overheat which would explain both warning messages. Replaced all and things are back to normal. Car is a '12 with 8900 miles.

13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Needs an Italian tune up!