Change XBOX Live Password | FerrariChat

Change XBOX Live Password

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 4REphotographer, Apr 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I advise you all to change your xbox live password. Over the weekend someone hacked my account, added his email as an alternate to my account and spent $150 on m$ points. I was standing on the NY auto show stand 1,000 miles from my xbox on saturday and got a bunch of emails about purchases made on my account. I searched the guys email and apparently he's done this a bunch of times, just thought I'd give a heads up to everyone.

2. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am watching my netflix via my xbox, will do that now JIC. Sorry to hear this, did you call Microsoft and speak to someone you could not understand for 5 hours like I did when mine red ringed? They will get you sorted out.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    What's his email address?

Did you lodge a complaint with the Xbox Fraud team?
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/What-To-Do

The pts scam has been going for a while now most recently with FIFA games because you can but Premium GOLD pack DLC within the game.

From my understanding is they get a hacked Windows ID then purchase a Premium/Family GOLD account which gives them access to transfer pts between family members, they become a friend and then they snap you on the pts haul.

M$ keeps saying that they haven't been hacked and it's phishing.

Another good reason to use a CC account. CC companies always refund fraud activities.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/331375/new-xbox-live-account-hacking-case-detailed/
    http://kotaku.com/5873604/is-microsofts-xbox-live-hacking-problem-worse-than-microsoft-realises
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/04/xbox-live-fifa-hack-concerns-continue-to-escalate-microsoft-s/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/14/fifa-loving-hackers-accessing-users-xbox-live-accounts-to-buy-d/

Good luck with it. BTW M$ will lock your account while they investigate.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I spoke with PayPal first since they handled the actual money, and surprisingly they were really helpful. Added unauthorized trisection stuff to the transactions and stopped M$ billing agreement.

I got ahold of M$ yesterday and they said my account was already under investigation. To me that says they know about this guy doing it, and thanks for letting me know my account got hacked. They said it should be fixed within 3 days, we'll see.

5. vettesrule76

vettesrule76 Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2011
    Full Name:
    Brad
    this actually happened once before in like 2009. They spent like $125 on MS Points. Called xbox and they wouldn't give our money back. We had to go to the bank and file a report. My email did get hacked into on sunday morning. they changed the alternate email, but were to dumb to actually change my password. besides, the email they got into wasn't my xbox email. it was my old one, i ended up changing all my passwords for everything. crazy how these hackers work

6. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually I think mine was exactly $125 as well. At least they know of the problem and have thus far been helpful. When I got home yesterday I looked and the guy bought a bunch of gears of war crap and some arcade games, I guess they steal it and then resell it for cheap.

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah they resell them.

Good news that M$ is on it. The buying of points is too easy, they should force a password everytime IMHO, they may of got in via exploits and thus not have the password.

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    This just happened to me. Fortunately MS refunded the fraudulent charges after their 'investigation'.

I noticed the charges on my cc statement and called MS about it, same story -- someone purchased points using my gamertag and then transferred them to another account and used them to buy FIFA soccer.

9. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That scares me, because it tells me there is a serious problem with their privacy. They got me my money back but its still a huge PITA.

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    And you need to watch 2 months of statements; mine came right at the end of a billing cycle, either they were smart about it or just dumb luck.

IMO I think MS was hacked, because my password was unique and quite long, and I don't use wireless.

11. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain they were. I use PayPal for xbox purchases so they let me know immediately and then cut off access. The first time I've had a positive experience with PayPal.