chain guide wear advice | FerrariChat

chain guide wear advice

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Fritz Ficke, Apr 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #1 Fritz Ficke, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    How many miles on that shoe?? I suspect they're original. By the looks of things, you haven't eaten thru half the shoe pad yet. Maybe @ the halfway point you might begin planning on replacing it??

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i just replaced both of those shoes on David's and Jim's cars. they were in virtually identical condition but i replaced them as part of the complete motor rebuilds that we are doing on both cars because i have to stand behind the product and they are both a long way away from me.
    on my personal 400 they looked the same again and i left them because for the same reason that Bruce points out above.

as for price, i got them from Eurospares because i had a large order already coming from them and they were a fraction of the price you quoted and Classic Parts quoted the identical price which was 101 GBP...i didn't think that was too bad. who quoted you $640 ?...the dealer ?

4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Thanks Bruce and Brettski I needed to hear that, and I will try Eurospares and do more shopping around, Fritz

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Fritz
    I still would like to know how many miles are on the car,....you know, as a reference to the guide wear shown.
    Bruce

6. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Chain tension which is incorrect can and will cause premature wear and failure at an astounding rate in these cars...

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'd say yes w/1 exception, this adj. is a PITA to get to. I'd say more often than not, they're not being adj. every 12,500mi. as they're supposed to. How much could a loosely tensioned chain wear an a pad?

8. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Bruce, my car has 67,000 miles on it and the chain was hitting the housing and there was no more adjustment room left. I am sure engine had never been into before, Fritz

9. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
  10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Fritz,

Thanks for the info. The WSM requires chain to be retensioned every 12,500mi. but no mention for replacement. I'd say w/noise inside chest, it's time 'now'.

Bruce

11. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Bruce, Ferrari recomends chain replacment at 50,000 Kilometers, Fritz

12. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Thanks Jacques
    Fritz

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Fritz, I didn't see that anywhere, where did you find it? Bruce

14. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Bruce, I tried to find where I read it and could not, I belive reading the manuals at night is a good idea but maybe to not drink so much while I do it....
    A tech told me thats what they last and I thought I read it but now in a sober state that I did not, Fritz

15. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    I rtfm : "The maintenance and lubrication chart 400i-owners-79 recommends to check timing tension after the first 2.500/3.000 miles and then every 12.500 miles."
    Olivier

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The manuals only show tensioning every 12,500 mi. up to 62,500 mi. & no further, & nothing about replacement. Certainly your situation is 'the' definition of replacement.

Just make sure you're not drinking so much when delving deeply into the engine Fritz, LOL, B.

17. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Page B41 of the WSM: "After 50'000 km or when the push rod is not long enough for correct tensioning, replace the chain".
    On page B40 they say that every 5'000 km the chain tension shall be checked, whereas the maintenance chart page A9 indicates the chain tension check at 20'000 km intervals!

Peter

18. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    Hi,
    as the engine of the 400 GT is developed out of the 365 gtc/4, I suppose the facts mentioned in the repair instructions for the c/4 will be OK for 400 GT too. For the timing chain there is said :
    “Check for stretching due to wear by laying the chain flat, measuring its length when the links are stretched away from each other and when they are pushed together against each other. If the difference is greater than 4 to 6 mm, it is advisable to replace the timing chain.”
    And :
    “Replace the chain whenever the engine is undergoing a rebuilt and has run over 50’000 km”.

The chain you can buy from your local "Renold" dealer. The chain for c/4 is Renold duplex bush roller chain, ISO No. 06B-2, Renold part No 114038, 3/8 x 7/32, 178 links incl. master link. It is a BS series. I payed
    CHF 153.00 for it.

Please check first the link numbers. Regards, Jacques

360modena2003 likes this.
  19. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks for that reference Peter.
    Bruce

20. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    My car has just about 67K miles also. I saw the tensioner while still in the motor and at the top at least there was nearly no rubber left. I will post better pictures when I have them.

If a chain (or its tensioner) only last 50 or 60K miles it is no better than a belt and it takes a whole lot more to change. Yes, belts have age issue vs. mile issue for a chain. CA law requires all parts on a motor to last for 100K miles, how is Ferrari handling that one? New materials for belts are certainly better but for chains??
    Ken

21. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    iirc, the 308 GTB motor came with belts and they switched to chains for the 328 or 348. I don't know about the 12's, but I think I heard that they're derived from the 65-degree Dino V6, so I would expect chains.

Could someone give a quick rundown on how to adjust the chain?

22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think the 430 is the 1st V8 with chains.

I think the chain adjustment for our cars is more of a voodoo type of thing. :)
    The book says to tighten it until it gets noisy then back off 1/4 turn. The lock nut requires a 24mm wrench and the Allen I believe is 8mm, on my car it's so close to the frame that I just used a vise grip on it. My car has always had a clacking noise that I though was an alternator belt but on closer evaluation it was a loose chain. I wasn't sure so I cranked it down 1/2 turn and most of the noise was gone. 1/4 more turn silenced the clacking and I'm happy with it so far. Will I try the crank it down till it gets noisy and then back it off 1/4 turn I'm not sure.

23. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  24. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
  25. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ak Jim
    I bought a stubby 13/16" (or maybe 15/16" if 24mm is correct) to do the lock nut. The adjuster bolt has two cross drilled holes so you can use a slim punch to turn it.

No, I never went for the high pitched noise either.
    Ken
    p.s. I WILL post my photos of tensioner and guide when I get a chance.