Ceramic | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ceramic

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by babwine, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ricky cocktail is what i outlined above. are you paying attention lol?
    "for me: wash, clay and/or zymol hd cleanse, 3m imperial hand glaze and finish with zymol. no ceramic gives that type of dripping wet look."
    how do i know Anthony? we both grew up in the same hood and ive owned 80 cars over the past 20 years so i know alot of people. i have alot of cars and Anthony is one of my guys on this side of the Whitestone bridge. Would let him and his better half watch my kids if i needed.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Ok then-don't want to get on you bad side.-lol.-
    So not even a paint correction?
    Almost out of brain cells.

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Everything in my cocktail is what paint correction is.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #29 flash32, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    'c8

The 3m IHG s a very gentle polish capable to remove minor swirls and defects. If the first time your paint is badly swirled or scratched your professional detailer may spot correct with a more aggressive polish(e.g finesse it or perfect it) or more aggressive pad. Once perfect , the light polish is perfect as a yearly maintenance.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Ok then don't bother me again.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lol

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Paint correction is whatever process it takes to get the paint perfect, before finishing with a carnauba, sealant, or ceramic. Make sense?

8. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Yes, all buffoonery aside, you've educated me.-thanks
    and ironically i have 3m IHg and Zymol hd cleanse in my cabinet collecting dust from when I detailed my own cars many years ago-who knew they were that good-now i know

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Wow thats kind of crazy. Who told u to buy them back then?

10. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    As I recall an employee of mine was using it on his car nearly 30 years ago and just starting using it and why I stopped heaven knows.
    Problem with idle hours and Chat rooms.lol!

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha. he led you down a very solid path fwiw

12. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Indeed!

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Have used it on my 15 white 458 Italia & my Audi S line Quattro and must say I've been impressed by the Shine & feel of the paint post wash & application. The Work/Appearance ratio is tops. Was reluctant to use it at first as it appeared too easy to use to get such a great looking paint. I use a Good Neutral soap admin. by a soap gun, A pail of the same Neutral soap with micro applicator, a thorough rinse top tp bottom then dry with a "Monster BLASTER REVOLUTION". No swirls,great shine on both cars. People always remark regarding their appearance. I was first introduced to this product by a neighbor with a black Jag who had used this product on a black Jag for about a year. It was impressive. As you know white cars are difficult to maintain an impressive shine. This product seems to be doing a great job. When applying do it 2 directional sparingly.

14. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Thanks but amplify on the 2 directional application as the instructions don't mention that -or is that technique something you've developed and had success with.

15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I bought a gallon of F11. I now have my 458 ceramic coated. I hope the F11 won't be needed anymore.

Of course, my idea of washing a car is a low pressure electric pressure washer and a 20v Dewalt blower. If it takes more than 3 minutes, it is likely to not get done.

16. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Curious to to know what your detailer who ceramic coated your car recommends-I'll bet it isn't any coating similar to F11.

17. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    He said nothing but wash and dry.

18. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Common advice besides the quickest.

19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The 2 directional application was in 1 of their videos on application C 8. For example when applying to doors,,sides of the car apply vertically then complete the application horizontally. This is to fill in the pores of your paint which in turn increases the depth of your shine & the smoothness of your paint as long as your paint is clean prior to application. Keep your paint clean, wash with a Neutral soap, apply with a soap cannon, rinse well (you can improve your rinse water by purchasing an attachment to your hose to remove hard water. I use a blaster to dry my Ferrari.There certainly no need to contemplate using a clay bar on a regular basis unless you have specific problems. I can't remember the last time I ever picked one up. You can use this product on windows also. I apply a coat of "Jet Seal ( Chemical Guys) in 2 position directions to windshield ever 3-4 mo. Let it dry for 20 min.before wiping off with a microfiber towel. Do not wash for 24 hr. Next day you can apply the formula used on your paint. polish with a clean microfiber. You may get a slight haze a few days later which cleans easily with a mico moistened towel. One of the greatest wipes for windows is the Ultimate Cloth (Amazon) or www.UltimateCloth.com. Don't let it's appearance fool you as it looks like a Scott towel. It lasts forever as long as you take care of it. You can throw away all your window cleaners except occasional Vinegar diluted with water.

20. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Thanks -very useful info.

docf likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've heard a lot about ceramic wraps coating. I'm thinking of doing this to my cars, so I don't have to wash them often.

I've had people tell me it's the best thing I can do; others say just stick with regular wash and wax.

Would love to see what the brain trust here thinks?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to tell me what you think.

Kind regards.

22. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I think there is a difference between doing a wrap (like PPF) versus a ceramic coating, is the latter what you're asking about?

I've gotten ceramic done on a few of my cars, I like it, I wouldn't over pay for it though, I have a guy near me who does paint correction, wash, ceramic coating for about 500$ - I trust him because he has his own body shop and does fairly good work and posts most of his work in public on Instagram.

paulchua likes this.
  23. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I agree with vraa. A wrap and a ceramic coating are entirely different. Are you asking about doing a wrap and then a ceramic coating?

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks, guys, as you can see my ignorance with my post. I mean ceramic coating (not a wrap)

That said, do you both like the ceramic coating?

Cheers

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just saw this thread (merged my earlier question above), I think my gut says with cars driven infrequently, I'll stick to traditional wash wax.

@ttforcefed for a daily driver, ceramic seems like the way to go?