Ceramic coat | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ceramic coat

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 550nitis, Jun 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EC Spyder

EC Spyder Rookie

Jun 10, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    SSE
    Hi All. Excited to receive my 488 spider in a couple of days (my first Ferrari)! The car has no protective coating and I was wondering what is best to protect the paint? And do you do the whole car, or just the front end?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ppf the entire car and put anything u like over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Problem is ppf doesnt last forever. Especially the “ppf” kits where the edges are exposed. Overtime the get ruffed up. Wrap arounds are best. I was advised to put some light ceramic coat on the car before ppf for easier future removal. 360 and 430 paint isnt the greatest. Good chance some paint comes off with it.

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ceramic on paint before ppf is a no no for me.
    Nothing lasts forever, high impact areas will need ppf redone every few years if daily driven.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That’s the problem. Paint can come off when removing ppf on 360/430s even with careful removal.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id much rather take that risk than having to risk wet sanding and compounding an enitre car

7. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Select coatings like Crystal Serum Ultra or Modesta advertise needing to be sanded, having never seen it I cannot say if that’s true or not. However, most common coatings can be polished off (not compounded) with no issues at all. Due to high humidity, I had a couple of high spots on my 488 and polished them off with zero problems at all. I used a combo of Kamikaze Miyabi and Zipang. Zipang is no rookie product, outside of the US it appears to be a certified installer only product, but it’s certainly not permanent either.

cls likes this.