Ceramic break discs | FerrariChat

Ceramic break discs

Discussion in 'Europe' started by [email protected], Oct 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gk@kco.no

Mar 3, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Geir Knutsen
    My California was delivered in June '09 - an early production. A great car by the way! First time in years I have had a car for more that two years!

The milage now is 17.000 kms, approx. 10.000 miles. The front ceramic discs are worn out, and has to be changed. There are small craters in the discs. They look crackled! The cost for a change is EURO 12.800!

Now the dealer refuses to take the change on the warranty, as they say the reason for the problem is that I have used the car on racetracks. I must add that when I bought the car, they told me it was made for track driving, and the dealer frequently arranges track days for the customers. I have followed the book and changed brakepads, using original Ferrari pads, three times so far, and always before the pads were worn out!

Some friends of mine have had the same problem with their Porsches, and have changed to steel brake discs.

I know that both the Porsche factory and the Ferrari factory refuses to change ceramic discs on the warranty. I think the reason is that the discs are so expensive.

Being a lawyer myself, I am quite certain that it should be on the warranty, as brake discs should last longer that 17.000 kms.

Has anyone had any similar experience with a Cali or other cars with ceramic brakes? Has anyone managed to have it covered on the warranty?

2. Temuri

Temuri Karting

Apr 12, 2011
    Moscow
    Full Name:
    Temuri
    I have ceramic brakes on my car, but never had any problem. I'm not using my car on racetracks, but anyway. I know that ceramic brake can work in heavy conditions. Unfortunately cannot advice you anything, but in any case try to push them to change by warranty. Only thing I can tell you is that you have used them under very, very heavy conditions if the pads been changed already 3 times. I have 8000 km on my car and wear is max 15-20%. I wish you all the best in your fight with dealer!