Center lock wheels for 365GT4 2+2 | FerrariChat

Center lock wheels for 365GT4 2+2

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Choptop400, Oct 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Ok, I am sure this has been covered before. Looking to find some kind of replacement rim for my center lock hubs. Metric tires are killing me. Have a set of TRX's that are only 5 years old. I have eaten week old bagels that were softer.

Does any know anyone making replacement Ferrari 5 Star knock offs for a center locking hub in 15, 16, 17 inch so I can mount standard tires on?

Frank

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    TRX tires only come on an injected boxer with a center nut that would fit your car - testarossa came center nut TRX too but the offset wont allow them to fit. What you're asking doesn't make sense. Its either a 5 bolt TRX or a center nut 15 x 7"

So if your car is a 365 with metric tires then you have BBi wheels or something aftermarket

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #3 Ak Jim, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    There is a company that makes 17" center lock rims. I use to have a link for the company but I can't seen to find it.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Upgrading to TRX was quite usual back then as these TRX were way much better than any other tires available. So maybe a previous owner just swapped the rims.

Assuming your rims are metric you've got quite a few options:
    - Sell your BB rims and buy OEM rims
    - Sell your BB rims buy 400i wheel hubs, superformance 16' (17'?) rims and appropriate shims to get the offset right
    - Send your BB rims to a machinist as another 365 GTC owner did. Not legal in all countries. It's in the 365GTC register website, the guy even retro-fited a 412 engine (with carbs): definitively not period correct but the owner has a lot of fun with this car.

5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Frank's 365 has received many 400 type modifications - injected engine, front spoiler, 4 rear lights etc. The engine dates from 1982, maybe this is when it was modified (and turned into a cabriolet). So it is perhaps not surprising it has TRX tyres/wheels as well. The octagonal wheel hub fixing was specific to German/Swedish/Dutch delivered 365s. Frank's is a German (Auto Becker) delivery.

6. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Ok, Newman is correct, my 365GT4 has BB wheels. Ramboy is also correct in that the 365GT4 was delivered by Auto Becker in Germany.

Now back to my options,OEM wheels? two concerns, cost and more important, availability. I would like to be able to consider a slightly larger diameter tire (17), mostly because of availability.

I have been told someone in England makes replacement wheels that look factory by several Ferraris. However none seems to be able to remember the web site or name. The world of the internet has not reach this part of hard to find parts.

7. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    AK Jim, Itoo have been looking for that company. Unable o find using Google

8. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Raemin:

I tried searching for the thread abut machining the BB wheels. Do you have the link or some way for me to find the link in Ferrari Chat.

Thanks

Frank

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    In the boxer section there's a thread right now discussing 17" center nut wheels for injected boxers. Pics too. You might be able to buy 4 front wheels which is the only way they might possibly fit. Tough to say since the rear wheel tucks into the wheelwell on the 365/400's

10. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Thank you, will jump over there now

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As previously mentioned your best bet is to sell the rim as these are quite rare, and use the cash to revert back to OEM rims. This being said, even with modern rubber the OEM rims are quite narrow and I personally think the trx handling is MUCH better. You could also try to fit 225 tires, which will be better than OEM, but still smaller than the TRX (245), and maybe not legal in your country.

http://www.group4wheels.com/wheels_bb17xx.php sells the metric boxer wheels and given that the BB chassis is the same as the testarossa, I can assume that you need the front wheel. I am assuming front rims as there is on this forum someone who installed 4 testarossa front rims in his 400i. Needless to say you would have to thoroughly analyse this with the seller. Only issue is price (£3000).

As for a machinist, here is the sort of work that was made on the 365GTC4 I previously mentioned. You can see the rim before (light grey) and after (dark grey). This is a Porsche rim, but you get the idea. Main issue is the numerous nuts that will for sure give it a "racing" touch. This will cost you approx $1000 and may not be legal in your country (except on the track).
    https://www.alc-concept.com/

If you are after performance and do not mind removing the center lock, you can buy used wheel hubs and fit some 308 superformance wheels. Your car will look like a 400i but you will be able to fit 16' tires. This will be much cheaper than group4wheels (~$1500 ?)
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/wheels.html

Last but not least : what about a brand new set of TRX? Some of us have managed to get a good price with a large group-buy, and at the end of the day if you pay an additional $50 per tire for fresh period correct rubber you will not regret it. If you feel the TRX do flex, have you tried to setup your car in order to suit your driving style? You can raise tire pressure up to 3kg and stiffen the dampers (these are adjustable and half a turn gives dramatic results).

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Major error in that assumption. Not even the center nut from a boxer fits a Testarossa, In fact nothing including hose clamps are the same as a boxer.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks. That's the company I was thinking about. I contacted them and yes they will sell 4 "front" rims.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Question is will they fit inside the rear wheel wells....

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There is no extra room for sure.

17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This definitive assumption is not entirely correct and not likely to help select the proper rims...

1) No doubt the wheel hub is different as one is centerlock, but given that he already has some BB365 wheels one can assume he's got the proper hubYou can even check that "Fuso Direction" is the same between these two cars (BB & 365). So you can attach these rims to the hub.

2) Both BB and Testarossa do share the same frame and A-Arms so we can assume that the wheel geometry in terms of offset will be roughly the same. In other words, based on the testarossa to 400 experiment, we can suspect that the rear rims is not likely to fit!

3) Break caliper clearance also has to be reviewed, but without ABS should be Ok.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    3)[/QUOTE]
    I know we're off topic here but you sir are incorrect and I don't want anyone else to believe this statement to be even remotely accurate. If you know anything about a 400 then stick to that because clearly you haven't looked under a boxer or testarossa. Here's a testarossa with a stamped control arm (early versions were tubular like the 288) vs the boxer forged arms in yellow zinc that I just finished restoring. The wheel offset is also completely different, even from Testarossa to 512TR is different again! And I do stand corrected, the Testarossa shares the same gas pedal as the injected boxer.

These pics even show the frame is not the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

raemin likes this.
  19. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Ok guys, I think I have bigger problems. This is like digging trough one of the pyramids in Egypt. The control arm picture with the cadmium control arms looks like what I have on my 365GT4. I am thinking that whomever did the conversion really went to town with at the time were easily accessible Ferrari parts. Possible that the converter just swap an entire suspension from a Boxer and this allowed the BB rims to be used? I am thinking that the best course of action is to lift the car and go thru the entire suspension system and rebuild from scratch. I have a 2 post in my garage. What I see is the biggest problem is ordering bushing and hardware before starting the job since I really don't know what I am working on (loss of time waiting for parts).

Any hints on the best way to approach this endeavor. FYI went to remove the wheels (could not get the $^^^&*u^%rfR4r wheels off) So now off to find an over price shop to help remove the wheels.

Comments on Hill Engineering's wheel nut remover?

20. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Raemin:

To respond to your question about how I intend to drive the Ferrari. This car is for me an my wife to enjoy the Dolce Vita lifestyle. Unfortunately we can not jet over to the Italian coast to enjoy the Adriatic Sea so I settle for spirited driving with my beautiful wife by my side.

The 2 most important aspects of the ride are great handling for a 1970's vehicle that happens top be a Ferrari and a comfortable ride. This is not a canyon carver or track day special, just a beautiful continental tour for 2 AARP members, lol.

Thank you Newman for your advice as well. I am old enough to listen to everyone ideas. Just trying to get it right not be right.

Frank

21. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    In that case do not revert to OEM rims and small tires: rubber will be cheaper and rim will be stock, but handling is not going to be any better. (I must admit I live next to Clermont Ferrand so I have a Michelin bias) (must also reckon that my 8 years old TRX have dried).

I finally found the reference to the 365 GTC with oversized rims :
    http://www.carobu.com/ferrari-v12-projects/2015/12/24/ferrari-365-gtc-restomod
    The rear rims are huge on this car, no doubt they can provide you with a more balanced setup, or provide you with the required parts so as to shoehorn these in the 365.

another source is imagewheels (https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/f40-alloy-wheel/), but that's probably the ones you've contacted already.

Together with group4wheels that's 3 suppliers. Given that you are on the other side of the atlantic, maybe you should try the "local" supplier: I'd rather buy rims without the numerous nuts but if some mods are required to fit the rim, at least they will be in a position to do it for you

22. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I ordered a custom made set for 46567 from Image Wheels but not the F40 design. Very satisfied and happy with the results as they give my car plenty of character...

23. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Where they center lock of 5 bolt?

24. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name: