Center Console Advice Needed | FerrariChat

Center Console Advice Needed

Discussion in '308/328' started by chasjen, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Hello Everyone. Need some advice. What is the best approach to this problem? I figure PO installed an 80's cell phone. Thanks Charlie Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    From memory that base is secured with two nuts from underneath. Remove the front console section, unbolt the base and have a trimmer make up a new one.

RicSinger, Brian Harper and thorn like this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Agreed. It's rather simple to disassemble that panel. Cut a new piece of material to fit and Have it recovered.

Rosey likes this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Or contact someone like Eurospares UK to see if they have a salvaged part.

5. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Lift up the carpet and you'll see the screws that hold it down. Then you'll see how the tray floor is held in. A piece of vinyl can then be just stretched on and glued in place with contact adhesive.

Brian Harper likes this.
  6. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Myself I would want to fill that void (hole). I don’t know what kind of material is under the leather. Can you cut something (metal or plastic)out the same size to glue on top before you recover it. If you have a upholstery shop do it, they should know what to do. Or go by a upholstery shop ask them how they would fix it.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree with filling the hole before recovering or just have a shop do it. They would probably cut a new base piece/re-cover it.

Just curious, Did we have cell phones in the 80's? I don't recall that being the case.

8. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I recall the in car cell phones in the mid-late 80s and the Alpine car alarm that you disarm through a key pad. You could recognize if the car had a cell phone by the added antenna that got stuck on the rear window...then you could buy just the antenna to have perplexed think you had a cell phone. Man, that goes back a bit.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

built2grind likes this.
  9. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like head to an upholstery shop.

10. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    It is thin aluminium sheet

Brian Harper likes this.
  11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Once you disassemble the console and remove that rectangular panel you will be amazed how rough it is constructed. It is little more than a rectangle of metal cut with hand shears covered with a thin coating of foam and then leather. Any upholstery shop can do this with their eyes closed and it would be 100% indistinguishable from original. This is a very easy repair.

Ideally unscrew the lower console yourself and take it to the upholstery shop 'sans Ferrari'. Tell them it is for a hot rod you bought so it will avoid any potential Ferrari tax.

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Yes, they were about the size of a small shoebox you held up to the side of your head, tethered to the vehicle as the vehicle was its power source.. Expensive, usually only salespeople used them originally.

Doug

13. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    I hope they can match the color.

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    From the photo the original looks a different shade in any case.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    This is the smart idea. They often have totaled cars that they sort out and sell original parts and components. I don’t see what model you have, but contact them. Ferrariparts does the same. If they have what you want, you’ll have original leather to match yours. It takes a few minutes.

Rosey likes this.