Cell Phones in Airplanes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cell Phones in Airplanes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jason Crandall, Jan 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey guys,

I'm right here. I started this thread asking a simple question.

Like I said before. If you don't like my question...Don't read the thread. If you don't like my question...Don't post. If you don't want to hear opinions on your posts then don't post them.

If you want to have a private conversation between yourselves, use PM.

2. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Why not take your own advice??
    and since when does the new kid on the block make the rules...

You asked a question, and got an answer. You didn' like the answer.
    you started with the wise cracks, and now you can't take the heat?

Don't like what you're reading? Don't read it!

Want to be a troll? Do it elsewhere.

Oh yeah, and get straight, to whom you are replying, and to whom you called what.
    I'm not the "Brainy Smurf",( as you indicated, in post # 22) that posted the reg.

Charlie

3. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You're calling me a noob? Go back to 3rd grade.

I started the thread. You came in trolling.

4. planeflyr

planeflyr Karting

May 27, 2006
    Charlie,

This guy isn't worth your or anyone's effort to respond. It's kinda like wrestling a pig in the mud. Everyone gets dirty.... And the pig likes it!

We've [sadly] seen this type of inconsiderate behavior before with a few other, ahem, personalities where trying to be helplul and/or instructive provokes nothing but vitriolic responses.

Don't sweat the small stuff and the small people. Life is too short to get suck[er]ed into this kind of stuff.

Peace, my friend.

Corey

5. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Guys,

I really don't get how you are calling me "inconsiderate".

I start a thread asking a perfectly reasonable question. Instead of responding in a positive way, you read the FARS to me.

I don't know you guys. Why am I supposed to be friendly to you when you've shown no interest in being friendly to me?

Please take your own advice and you guys can start your own thread about what dick I am and about how in the "olden" days you didn't have to deal with "whipper snappers" like me.

6. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Lighten up - we don't know Jason1st really. He got under some of our skins by starting off asking how to best violate some FCC regulation, and some of you had the notion that pointing that out would somehow make a difference. Grow up - it's not Jason1st being "******" - unless you think that the majority of the country these days who think that something is wrong only if you get caught at it qualifies - and even in that case he doesn't deserve to be singled out. I bet that if you met him out at the airport you would think he was a great guy.

I'm not taking Jason1st's advice about starting a name calling thread, and have simply added him to my ignore list so I don't have to wade through stuff that I'm not interested in that has nothing to do with aviation or airmanship.

Trust me I have no interest in anything further having to do with this subject. I recommend you consider doing the same rather than wasting your time.

Blue Skies!

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Like snakes on a plane, why should there be cells on a plane? In the past when I had to fly in the big tin birds there weren't any cell phone yakkers but there were plenty of smokers which was as bad or worse. Flying now has become so distasteful that I avoid it as much as I can. The outside chance that elex devices can or could disrupt the aircraft systems looms as dangerous to me and I'll bet that any business will operate just fine for a couple of hours without calling several times while your in the air. And aunt Pettipoo can get advice from someone on the ground until you arrive. That's my take on it and I know it flies in the face of many but there must be a way to curb the intrusive use of certain devices when those imprisoned next to you have to endure them.
    Switches

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am talking about using the cell phone in my airplane. Not on Delta.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Just airing a pet peeve , Jason.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It is not a reasonable practical question - if you're talking about doing so on commercial aircraft, which is the way I read your original post.

Virtually all commercial passenger aircraft operate under IFR where EMI (electromagnetic interference) with aircraft avionics is a possible safety-of-flight issue. EMI is a difficult problem to identify and circumvent and arises with unexpected combinations of devices. One cell phone may be perfectly fine, another cell phone might emit just the right combination of spurious signals to confuse the avionics. Unless that specific combination is tested, you don't know if you're threatening the aircraft and lives of other passengers for the sake of convenience.

However, if you're talking about doing so as PIC of a private aircraft in VFR, then that's a slightly more reasonable question. In that case you may only be inconveniencing other cell service subscribers who might get dropped or can't connect while you're occupying channels for 20-30 cell sites instead of 2-3. That may be appropriate and is actually condoned by FCC/FAA rules in emergency circumstances.

11. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I hear ya. I have the same peeve.

12. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am talking about using the cell phone while flying my Cirrus. I actually don't want to make phone calls. I just want to be able to send/receive text messages.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Y'all behave, I see a lack of respect going both ways.

14. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    for any who care myth busters did a segment on this exact subject. their conclusion was that it was not common and most planes are shielded against such types of interference for ovbous reasons.

15. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I saw that episode the other night.