360 - Cell Phone holder- easy peasy! | FerrariChat

360 Cell Phone holder- easy peasy!

Discussion in '360/430' started by JazzyJay, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've been toying with the idea of adding some sort of cell phone holder to my 360 Spider for a while, but never quite settled on an idea. I bought an MPOW (never heard of it before) windshield mount with a flexible arm.

The flexible arm is removable from the suction base...just unscrew the little set-screw at the base and your left with an arm that has a small, round "post" that fits inside the cigarette lighter/12v hole. I then added a thick piece of 3M foam tape (wrapped around the post) so the skinny post would fit more snugly inside the bigger 12v hole.

Viola! Works great...no drilling, no fuss. Phone is charged by the Apple Lighting cable from the aux add-on thingy to the factory Becker radio. At some point, I will run the Apple wire through the center console to make it super-neat, but for now the cable just sits alongside the console.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I would caution against such an approach. The forces acting on the mount for the cigarette lighter will likely exceed the structural capability of the ashtray. The material the ashtray is made from is exceedingly cheap and weak. A couple of good bumps and you'll see it crack. Expensive little bugger too, if you can find one.

Here's a picture detailing what you're trying to use as a support. It's very little plastic and the lighter itself is attached using a spring. The original on my car (this one) was broken by simply opening and closing the lid of the ashtray.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville likes this.
  3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    OK, I gotta ask. How did you get the lighter socket out without destroying it.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 EastMemphis, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Push and turn.

Note the little teeth and the slots. Compress the spring a bit (push) then turn until the teeth line up with the larger slots. The thing literally will fly apart at that point. In this picture, the teeth are out of the small slots. That's where they lock.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut