CCR racing reunion at Ring in Germany! | FerrariChat

CCR racing reunion at Ring in Germany!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by johnhoughtaling, Oct 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #1 johnhoughtaling, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    I have a great thing that I think timely to report and share. A CCR reunion at the Ring!!

The trip started by me taking a long flight to Moscow on business on August 22, 2012, (not arriving until the 23rd!). After having to work until the 27th (I don't have sponsors so somebody has to pay the racing bills!), I flew to Frankfurt Germany on the 27th. I got picked up in a limousine from the airport and was driven a long 4 1/2 hours to the legendary Nurburgring (Whew I got the bill receipt for the ride and it was pricey!).

I arrived at the track on the 27th to meet my dear german friend Josef Stengel. Josef raced at Daytona in my former 360 during one of the past years CCR preliminary races, so as a return favor he brought his BMW race team out and told me to invite Franco Valobra and Jerome Bocuse. Meeting Josef, Franco and Jerome at the hotel just before the event was fantastic!

On August 28, 2012, I was so exchited I sent my daughter a Facebook note telling her that "to my friends" I was at the legendary Green Hell "to her I was in Germany where they make Gummy Bears." The racing on the 28th was the single greatest Motorsport experience of my life. (Franco has video of us racing).

On August 28th I was shocked to get a call from Mark Mckenzie, who said he was about to arrive at the Ring by coincidence that night! On the 29th, 5 members of our Ferrari racing club, Josef, Jerome, Franco, Mark and I were on track. How amazing!

On August 30th I passed through customs in Frankfurt and flew home to New Orleans!

I am currently in Moscow now, (i flew Tuesday October 9 at 1:25 from New Orleans to Houston and then flew to Moscow (arrived in customs October 10th), and been here since. Have to work to pay racing bills.

I will see you guys for the race in New Orleans. I can wait to be able to host all of you!
    Did you know there are more than two people in New Orleans that can be described as

1) New Orleans Attorney
    2) Prominent Businessman
    3) races cars
    4) fundraisers for charity?

Until recently I didn't know there was more than one person besides me that fits that description either. Turns out there are at least three! Another CCR member, myself and at least one other guy! Joe and I like our beautiful wives but not sure if another guy who that fits that description has the same taste. So anyway, I'm not unique in New Orleans. But anyone going to the French Quarter Classic will know there is only one Italian Ferrari racing jeweler!

Anyway, after Nola one thing we need to do next year is start a West Coast series. We may do an exhibition race next year in California. The only Ferrari guys I know in California are Rusty West and Gary Bobileff. I visit them nearly every time I go to California. I really looking forward to go back there, I because haven't been in years!

Anyway I'll post some pictures that document this amazing trip from August 22-30, 2012. I will never forget it. And I ill post some pictures of my trip now.

And to my friend Rusty (and Gary Bobileff) in California, sorry I haven't been there in years but I just couldn't be in California on these dates in August bc I was at the Ring! And to my friends in Orlando, I am sorry I am not helping you get ready for the race and couldn't be in Orlando this month bc of my travels! But I will see you soon!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  3. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #3 johnhoughtaling, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here was our team:

Franco, Jerome and I took turns with the cars. The white Z4M VLN was very fast.

The track was literally freighting. I recall my first time at Watkins Glenn and all the close gardrails thinking man I hope I don't go off at speed and into one of those. At the Ring I was thinking God I hope if I go off I catch one of those guardrail instead of missing one and a becoming a cartwheeling burning wreckage through the trees!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    John, it sounds like you had a great time and I can imagine how memorable it was. I went with a college buddy a few years back to do a European delivery on his new BMW 3-series and I suggested that we make the trip to the Ring and it didn't work with our schedule and I've regretted it ever since. I hope to do it someday. I'm glad all of you had so much fun!