CCM brake wear - Speciale | FerrariChat

CCM brake wear - Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Morgie, Oct 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    Thoughts on 3000mi Speciale with 80% brakes left? Seems high for street use and suggests it's been tracked a reasonable amount. I searched the site but could only find a Scuderia brake wear comparison in which this Speciale should be at 92% instead of 80%. Does this wear seem high to you too?

2. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    You still have 80% left, what's the problem?

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I don't even have a clue at 31.000 kms :D Why bother ... ?

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It's symptomatic of track use...and the car is a Speciale after all. I wouldn't be worried as long as receipts/records for maintenance and no off road damage.

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I have no empirical data, but...

Speciale brakes are actually off the LaF, and in the case of our car (6K miles) the rotor wear was a bit more accelerated. Remember, "rotor wear" is a calculated figure based on an algorithm, unless your dealer actually removes and weights each rotor.

Speciale wearing faster might be a combination of an aggressive algorithm, more aggressive pads, etc.

Obviously, track use will accelerate brake wear - a lot. Even street use with a lot heavy, long duration braking will accelerate it.

A key thing to look at is REAR pad and rotor wear; assuming the owner left the car in RACE mode, the software uses the rear brakes up as part of the ESC software and track driving exacerbates that.

Is 20% wear high for ROTORS at 3K mile. I'd say yes. How are the pads? with 20% wear, I'd imagine the pads are pretty well used up.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I sold my Speciale with nearly 6k miles, brakes were near perfect.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Are you saying 20% pad wear or 20% rotor wear?

At 3k miles I had gone through 2 sets of pads on my Scud- which did go to the track. Based on this, I will take a guess and say the wear indicates one or two track days but not lots of track days- and frankly, thats how the car should be used anyway! :)

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    sorry - what I should have said (meant to say?) is that if your rotors are worn 20%, your car likely has gone through at least one set of pads...

458C we'd average a set of fronts per race weekend, but we also never used them fully

FWIW, I did 4500km on a set of rotors on a 458C, and I am maniacally hard on brakes....that was almost an entire season with a lot of testing