CB650: The Jersey Devil Project | Page 5 | FerrariChat

CB650: The Jersey Devil Project

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by walnut, Apr 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sir walnut, a Force of Nature.

2. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #102 walnut, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I discovered yesterday that I'd lost one of the aluminum fuel lines that runs between carbs #3 and #4. I had a piece of aluminum that was the right inner and outer diameter from the spare set of carbs but it was too long. So... I broke out the trusty "lathe" again! Between the part chucked up in the hand drill and a cutting wheel on my Dremmel, I was able to cut it to length within about .2mm and form the I-ring groove to within .05mm of the original and polish the sealing surface with strips of sand paper. Measured it all out with my calipers afterwards and in my professional engineering opinion, it wouldn't have been much better if if have done it on an actual lathe myself.

Carb bank is at about 40% rebuilt now and looking good!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #103 walnut, Nov 26, 2013
    I got the No. 1 & 2 carbs assembled last night with one TINY exception. I have to order and wait for two tiny little cotter pins to arrive before I can put the last linkage back into place and join the sets of banks into one unit. With the extra time, I've done a bit of research and discovered that I can remove the vacuum operated fuel valve (YAY!) and the float bowl vent tubes which significantly cleans up the assembly and should simplify trouble shooting in the future. The vacuum valve is lovingly referred to as the "Spawn of Satan" on many of the forums I've been to and having already lost many a battle to the "Lord of Darkness" on my old Triumph Spitfire, I'd rather just avoid it if possible.

I have two spots on top of the No. 1 carb that I need to hit with some black paint but that'll be simple. The most difficult thing was getting the choke linkage reassembled on the side of No 2. For some reason, it just didn't look right so I kept getting half way and then deciding to disassemble and try again. Eventually I said "screw it" and just completed it by putting the plates on which served to limit its motion and provided the fix to what had been bothering me. All is well that ends well!

Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and we were much busier than I'd expected so I was not able to get to any welding on the frame. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time with the holiday weekend coming up.

4. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Sweet little project! Looking good too!

Bill

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If the bike turns out like the carbs, it will look awesome.

6. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I have no doubt whatsoever.

7. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #107 walnut, Dec 2, 2013
    Thanks for the compliments! I've said it all along, its not going to be perfect, but its going to be damn good for a first build, and I do think its going to be a lot of fun to ride.

Update time: Well, as always, I didn't get as much done on the bike over the holiday as I was hoping to, but that's because I was having such a great time with family! I did get the new tapered steering neck bearings from All Balls Racing installed, which was pretty easy after putting certain parts in the freezer over night and warming others up right before assembly. Its amazing how much of a difference there is between these and the feel I was getting from the old grease packed ball bearings (knotchy and loose feeling). I was also able to get the side stand bracket tack welded to the frame well enough to determine that it is in an appropriate position now which will let the bike lean on it, keep the foot of the stand flat on the ground, and not limit lean angle while riding. I will be taking everything back apart shortly to have my coworker do the finish welding on that and the rear set mounting points. Then I can start putting everything back together, including putting the engine back in. He's on vacation though so I have to wait until he gets back. In other good news, I think that all of the little rust/pin holes in the exhaust manifold are filled now! Time to get it painted and wrapped.

In the mean time, I'm working on modifying the top triple clamp and fabricating some mount plates/tabs for the key tumbler and the gauges.

I'm still waiting on two tiny little cotter pins to arrive before I can finish assembling the carb bank but I believe they should be here later this week... I'll have to check my tracking info.

8. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #108 walnut, Dec 2, 2013
    Ok, the top clamp modifications are complete, all that is left is paint. You can see a freshly painted but not modified picture in post #68 of this thread. Below is the untainted one with the stock gauge pod mount tabs and bar risers removed. If you look closely you can see traces of where the threaded holes used to be. Those will get puttied before I put any paint on there.

I'm working on a design for the actual mounting plates for the key tumbler and the new gauges which I think will look very nice. Hopefully I can have a mock up soon as I can't really move on the frame or carbs yet.

The lower clamp will eventually get the same treatment once I'm sure which mount bosses I do not intend to use.

I received the pigtail/connectors for my headlight bulbs, turn signals, and LED license plate bolts recently too. Once the frame components (side stand bracket, rear set mounts, and a couple other tabs) are on I'll be ready to get wiring. I can't wait to hear this thing run again though!

9. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #109 walnut, Dec 5, 2013
    Here's the quickly painted top clamp installed. After getting the gloss black paint on it and dropping on I see there's some adjustments that need to be made in the future. You can still see where the bar-clamp risers were at so that will need to be sanded/ground down better at which point I need to fill any remaining evidence of the threaded holes. I also noticed that I will need to slide the forks about 1.0-1.5mm further up through both clamps to ensure that the tops are flush with the tops of the clip-ons (maximum contact area) as the new steering stem bearings added that 1.0-1.5mm of length in the stem. All in all, I'm very happy with it and will more than likely leave it alone until I disassemble the bike in the future to do a final paint job or get things powder coated.

I've also posted a picture of what I plan to do for the key tumbler and gauge mounts. I plan on making the plate mounts from alumium and painting them gold to match the other trim bits on the bike. The grey standoff columns will be brashed stainless, the hardware will be stainless cap screws and mount to the two remaining "ears" on the top clamp where the old ignition used to mount. I've incorporated some rubber grommets on the lower plate to give some vibration isolation to the guages per the mfg. recommendation. What do you guys think about this? I like that its relatively simple and open and gives me a chance to tie the gold scheme into another area of the bike. And yes, my gauges are black cases with black faces.

10. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, I don't have much to provide in the way of an update but to keep myself honest, here's what's going on.

The parts I need in order to complete the carburetor bank finally shipped and should be here by the end of the week. No work has been done on the gauge brackets yet but I'm hopeful they that could also be done by the end of the weekend.

Some of the welding on the frame has been finished (the side stand bracket is affixed now and some of the areas that the factory didn't seam weld the parts together are now finished off) but I need to make up the fender plate for the rear of the seat hoop as well as mounting tabs for the electronics plate I'm going to put under the seat. Once I have those ready to go I will get them off to my coworker to be welded along with the mounts for my rear sets. That "should" be the end of the welding which is holding up progress. There will be some grinding and finishing for cosmetic reasons but that's all stuff I can do at home.

I have started on the wiring schematic though. I have to combine the stock ignition system from the bike with the M-Unit. Each set of switches will more than likely be rewired with long pigtails and the color of wire of my chosing. This will let me layout the schematic and document it easilly as well as avoid connectors as much as possible as the switches will essentially get wired directly to the M-Unit, so will the headligts, brake lights, etc. The ignition system though will pretty much be a stand alone circuit with few inputs from the M-Unit such as the starter switch output and an auxilliary power line which carries a signal controlled by the engine kill switch.

As always, I'll post pictures and updates as I have something worth posting.

11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Glad the last of the welding is right around the last uh, bend. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #112 walnut, Dec 12, 2013
    The parts I've been waiting on for the carbs have finally arrived so I should be able to put the bank together this weekend. Also, I think I mentioned it before but the first battery I ordered ended up being massive and heavy and was going to be a total pain to tuck under the seat cowl (blue one on left below) so after more research I found that there are significantly better ones available. I bit the bullet and bought a Shorai (black in right below) which is about 50% of the volume and feels like 25% the weight. It sucks to buy something twice but I guess it's better in the long run.

After looking over my electrical schematic and reading the manual on the M-Unit again, I discovered a number of errors and some possible over complication of what I'd come up with. My sticking point is what if anything to power when the key is turned to Park. There's a setting on the M-Unit that will work like parking lights but only when the switch is in full on position and that defeats the purpose of the multiple key positions tto me.

13. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #113 walnut, Dec 13, 2013
    Finally! Everything fits on the engine too, only concern is how tight a fit the filters will be to the frame. Others have used the same ones though so...

14. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #114 walnut, Dec 16, 2013
  15. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #115 walnut, Dec 18, 2013
    The new gauge cluster steps off of the computer screen and into real life! Seeing it in the exposed silver, I'm not sure how I feel about painting it gold. Oh well, I have plenty of time before that decision has to be made!

As a side note, the more I work with parts I've already cleaned and covered, the more I realize I'm not going to be happy with how weak/brittle the rattle can paint is. I'll continue to do it for corrosion protection and color selection but once its all together and running, its all coming back apart for powdercoat or a quality spray job with a good strong clear topcoat. I don't want it to be perfect but I don't want it to be crap either.

16. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    More good news! I spoke to my buddy at SHH Machine and it sounds like the extra work on the frame (rear set mounts and electronics trays) should be done soon! Lots of electrical components rolling in now too (4AWG battery and starter wire with solder terminals, etc).

17. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, the only update I have is that nothing's happened over the holidays. Spent lots of time with them family and enjoyed time with friends. Will get back to this soon though.

18. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    All in good time -

- glad you had a good time.

;)

19. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I haven't had any time to really work on the bike yet (to be honest, with temperatures in the single digits, I've not been to motivated to be in the garage!), but I was able to get the headers painted in "flame proof" flat black header paint to stop them from corroding any worse. My plan is still to cover them in header wrap prior to installation. I need to do the same to the pipe collars as they're beginning to rust again.

Mostly I've spent the little time I have had getting my garage cleaned up so I have space to move around and work again. I received some new tools and a three drawer addition to my tool box setup for Christmas which I just last night was able to get out of its shipping box and put up. I need to get the drawer layouts figured out so all of my tools are put away. Then it'll be back to the project.

I'm thinking that I should order new coils and plug wires (already replaced the plugs) before putting anything back on the bike. The other thing I realized that I need to pick up is a butane torch so I can solder the terminals onto the 4 AWG wire. I swear I've spent more on tools than on the bike so far! Not that that's a bad thing :)

20. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Augh, I swear I haven't walked away from this! I don't know if its the weather or just a string of bad luck but I can't seem to stay healthy this year. I had a bad allergic reaction on New Years that put me down for several days, flu that wiped out last weekend, and now I'm pretty sure I'm fighting a respiratory infection. My wife's not fairing much better and my mother-in-law, our day care provider, has been sick too so its been pretty much impossible to do anything but the basic must-do tasks around the house.

I have been using my couch time though researching the next project. I'm leaning towards doing an all electric cafe based on a 400-450cc chassis! What do ya'll think?

21. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    There was a good thread a couple of years ago in which a Member had keen interest in an Electric MC which needed extra stability due to him being a paraplegic.

His ideal was based on the fastest electric bike - a drag bike. That being the case, it will have the characteristic styling and then some.

I'm on phone & break & will see if I can find thread later.

In the meantime - Take care of You and Yours.

22. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It appears that everyone, myself included, is finally on the up-tick. My wife and I were cleaning up the house a bit over the weekend and I was able to move quite a bit of the outdoor Christmas decorations that were taking up bay space packed up and away in the basement. That will make it a lot easier to get the rest of the garage organized so I have room to work on Taz again! Its killing me not to be progressing!

By the end of the month I'll have my spoke wheels sent out for powder coating. When they come back I'll ship them off for spokes, tires, balance, etc. In the meantime, I still need to pick up a torch can make my high Amperage lines. Gotta get the main line to the starter in before the carbs can be completely mounted.

23. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #123 walnut, Feb 10, 2014
    Caveat: the garage still isn't cleaned up (obvious from the pictures) but it is a whole lot better than it had been.

Finally some updated pictures! You can see the electronics trays I've had added in as well as the gauge mounts and rear seats, etc. The bike is set up no so I can roll it around and should be able to get the engine in with relative ease now. I found one small "oops" when I was putting it back together I found that with the gauges in place, the controls hit the tank side before the steering lock. I'm going to get another mount plate cut that will pull them in about 1/2" which should give me more than enough clearance for a more comfortable bar position with out touching the tank. Once I get that fixed, I'll get started on the starter cable, then get the carbs mounted and hopefully get the frame wrapped around the engine again!

24. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, the material for the new "moustache" gauge bracket has arrived and I hope to have a new part cut by the end of the week. After about 20 minutes of pusing, pulling, and prying I was able to get the carburetors seated on the engine intake bosses with the help of a bit of lithium grease. The engine is now ready to be mated back to the frame and the garage is almost cleaned up enough to be able to move stuff around to do so. Currently working towards having it back in the frame by the end of the weekend so I can measure for new control cables and getting some of the running gear wired.

Now if it would just stop snowing so I could move things out into the driveway to help organize!

25. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sweet! The new moustache is cut (from stainless this time instead of aluminum so it'll be more rigid) and ready to go! My mom's in town watching our son during the day and I have Friday off... she said she was going to leave at lunch time that day but that I need to get my butt out of bed in the morning and work in the garage until then. Yes ma'am! Wish me luck folks, I'm going to do everything I can to get the engine back in the frame.