Cayman T | FerrariChat

Cayman T

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by donv, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    @TexasForever, this seems perfect for you!

It's very close to how I spec'd my 981 Cayman S, actually. I'm happy I have the flat 6, but if I were in the market today, I'd be all over this.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The only downsides I see to the Cayman T is it is based on the base model. No extra power, bigger brakes, etc. I think the GTS with the 4.0L is the one to get. Longer term I don't think the 4 cylinder cars will hold their value nearly as well as the 6 cylinder ones.

3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The point of the Cayman T is to combine a bunch of performance-based options in a low-priced (for Porsche) package. There is always something better the model lineup, if you are willing to pay more...

I wish they had stuck with the 6, but I'm not in charge-- and it was in anticipation of them dropping the 6 that I ordered my 981. I was a couple of years early, but that's fine.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought you were a CPA?

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sport cars are my true vice!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I just bought one. I have driven mostly 6 cylinder P cars and, to be totally honest, the four doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't sound like my 993...but I didn't expect it to, and carrying the honesty a bit further - that's just where things are heading in the twilight of the rein of internal combustion. Plus, it is more than enough car to have a ball with. The chassis is just SO good...the hype and praise are well deserved. The base 718 destroys the 987 S I had and then some, and I think 987s are wonderful cars. There are several options for stealthy chipping that will bring the power up just enough for me. The gearing is ehhhh...but I had the same feeling driving the GT4.

The interior is fantastic (I have the T package with full leather) and the 18-way sport seats are not what I would have spec'd as I usually go for less complex options regarding seating, but man are they fantastic. Definitely worth the money. I also have the premium package, Bose, and I'm enjoying car play. These are things I NEVER thought I would be into; must be aging after all.

I was concerned about buying a new car because I didn't think anything out there would be tactile enough to match the charm of my more classic sports cars...but the T, through it's ethic and aesthetics, won me over. I also didn't want something that is impossible to enjoy without risking a lengthy jail sentence, so I crossed another V12 F car, C8's, and the GT3 RS I was considering off the list pretty easily. May sound strange to some, but speed is secondary to the overall experience to me. Has been since I had my first Cayman S back in '07. If I really need that power, well...that's what the 575 is for - even being 18 years old, it is sometimes frustratingly powerful for public roads.

Pawilly, Texas Forever and donv like this.
  10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Errr..."reign of internal combustion" I mean. No actual horses here :)