Cavallino Classic - 2021 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic - 2021

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Winner Melbourne 2002 with Schumacher.

Marcel Massini

wise3, jjmalez and of2worlds like this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    spectacular, thanks Marcel!

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Did Mr. Z. not know?

Marcel Massini

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ohh, he's always known and he might have told me at one time, I just didn't remember. I was also more curious the complete history.

5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Did 250 GTO #3527GT appear?

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Re masks, i was told by the Breakers security to put a mask on and that was my first warning. Second would mean getting kicked out of the property.
    Another security told me to stop taking pictures of the cars leaving the show as guests of the property were concerned about privacy. I had to go talk to the head of security to find out it was total garbage and just one of them being high on power.

Regarding the concours level, it was half of what it usually was. I hope this is mainly due to Covid/new ownership and not the demise of the event itself.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Post #150?

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No, 155.

11. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    And also 3rd in Malaysia, is it still owned by a Japanese gentleman?

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The Breakers "security" are completely out of control. Some guys are extremely rude. Even pre-Covid and with all sorts of passes and tickets and a few years ago I have had some very unfriendly encounters. The Breakers management should learn. No behaviour towards their hotel guests sometimes. Not good.

Marcel Massini

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.

Marcel Massini

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pic #2 in post #122.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and miurasv like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It was.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The event required them to create a sense of safety, still a very real issue to many people. I saw it enforced indoors only. At any time I was outdoors mine was off except on Saturday when I was a judge. As judges we were required to wear them on the field. My other half, also a judge kept forgetting hers and staff very politely reminded her many times. In any of the rooms we used about 75% of them came off. Definitely different and more extensive security but my experience was they were friendly and 100% professional. The mask reminders were typically delivered with an apology and a smile.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Marcel, in prior years it was a very different group. This year it looked to me like a contract security company and they were very professional. There must have been 3 x as many. I must have had 50 contacts with them and in every single case they were polite and professional. Leslie must have been reminded to put her mask on 25 times and it was always with an apology and a smile. Every contact of mine with them was faultless. If I needed a security company I hire that one.

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Good to know. Thanks.

Marcel Massini

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    0619 GT started out as 0805 GT in that order? I hesitate to even mention the ' 14 louvre ' question...

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Different here. I was outside when one of them told me I'd get kicked out of the property by the 2nd warning. And hundreds of people walking around without a mask at any moment. Then the 2nd guy telling me some bull **** rule that was never approved.

Maybe too professional.

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Smaller, but high-quality field, and the weather was lovely.
    Cavallino never disappoints, even when contending with COVID-19. Under the circumstances I'd call it a genuine success.
    Now if folks would just rekindle their interest in the track event, all would be right with the world, but that's unlikely!

of2worlds and rob lay like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It really is 0805 GT. Sold new to Pierre Noblet in France. Prior to that Noblet had owned an earlier TDF with number 0619 GT. In order to avoid paying taxes for the new, later car, 0805 GT was renumbered to 0619 GT. That is the number it uses today.
    In 1961 the car was stolen in Paris and damaged, found again. Then in 1966 it was crashed heavily into the wall of a Peugeot factory in France, right side and rear extensively damaged. In November 1971 the damaged car was sold to Gary D. Schmidt, an American service man stationed at the time in Bitburg, Eifel mountains, Germany. Schmidt sold it to Wayne Sparling, the Chinetti panelbeater in Florida. Sparling removed the old damaged bodywork and built a new one from scratch, to his own liking and with awkward proportions. Sparling kept the remains of the old Scaglietti bodywork. The Sparling recreated car was for sale at the RM Sotheby's auction in Amelia Island 12 March 2016. The proportions of the car were not right. After Sparling passed away the family found the remains of the old original Scaglietti body. These old original body parts were good enough to restore the car. The restoration was done by Quality Cars of Padova, Italy, for current owner Martin Gruss.
    Here's a pic out of the Jess Pourret 250 GT book showing the damaged TDF at the Peugeot factory wall in the late 60s. And another photo showing the car with the less perfect Sparling body. Sparling showed the car at the FCA Nationals in Sebring 2003 and at Cavallino in 2008.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-CD-, Nembo1777, ivo73 and 7 others like this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge

of2worlds likes this.
  24. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
  25. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Stuart, it was a pleasure meeting you in person as well!

Steve

Rossocorsa1 likes this.