Casey Putsch to appear at the KIC, Road America July 18-20 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Casey Putsch to appear at the KIC, Road America July 18-20

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ProCoach, Jul 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    More like a 1 million dollars for a top team in Atlantics and thats about right for a Star Mazda team. If he really wants to compete with the best then I would say Star Mazda is the way to go. Its becoming more and more competitive because the cars are pretty close to Atlantics and cheaper to run.

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #27 ProCoach, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
    Even IMSA Lites costs near what Pro Mazda costs...

Atlantics are $1M to be on the first three rows of the grid, if you have the talent...

3. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nah, I talked to a driver who won the main IMSA Lites class, and he said it costs around 150k. I also talked to a guy who finished 5th in Star Mazda but couldn't afford to do it the next year, but he managed to pull together 150k to do IMSA Lites. Also, Jonathan Bomarito, who finished 4th and 5th in Atlantics for a couple years, told me it usually costs about 700k, but in his personal situation he only had to find 300k, because the team really wanted him.

4. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I was talking about SCCA's amateur Formula Atlantics Series - not the Atlantic Championship. I thought I had heard that SCCA's amateur Formula Atlantic and Formula Continental series both can be run for under $200k a year, unlike the more expensive Atlantic Championship series. In order to get noticed and get sponsors for either Star Mazda or the Atlantic Championship series (or any other series for that matter), I was suggesting the amateur SCCA FA series. Without something impressive on your resume, I can't see how you'd get any sponsorship for either.

That's why I was eluding to "getting your hands dirty" and leaving the "glamour" series behind and getting some hard work done to prove yourself. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I thought the SCCA FA series was much less expensive to run than the more "pro" Atlantic Championship and Star Mazda series.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause

Nope, you're right, it is a great deal less expensive. Most of the FC guys I know who are Divisional National Champions are spending $50-$90K for the season, $35K-$55K for the car. I don't think the RunOffs champ spent $100K on the season. Of course, every one that runs up front gets help. I won tires for my National Championship win (in S2, a fendered FC) last weekend in Savannah!

Atlantic is a little more because to get a top car (Swift 014A), which is what you need to win the Divisional Championship in many of the more competitive areas of the country, costs $75K for the car.

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #31 ProCoach, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
    Was that Gerardo or Jay? If so, both got a LOT of help financially, Gerardo with personal sponsors and Jay out of his pocket :).

I was with Kevin K. last weekend, they've sold over 40 of the L1 cars (at nearly $100K EACH) and this season's leader, Jonathan Goring, is about to run out of money which is a crime. The travel schedule and the testing required have both driven the costs up substantially this year... You can't buy a car and spares and do proper testing for $150K. Even used ones are $85K...

Jonathan is a very talented guy and has shown his stuff in Pro FF2000 for years before Atlantics. Again, he's the exception, not the rule.

Speed and exposure costs money. How fast do you want to go? :D

7. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks LolaMan for confirming that - and congrats on your win!!! I'm just one of the volunteer corner workers who's track time is limited to getting to and from the corner in my Mondial so a little inside knowledge is appreciated. Back to the thread though - I think you get my point. Anyone - Casey included - who doesn't have the resume or the right name needs to build themselves up in the most competitive arena they can - and SCCA open-wheel racing can be a good starting point if you've got the talent.

8. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    well, so did he. (Racy Casey himself...)

9. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Goring told me it was 150k for IMSA Lites. Gerardo managed to find the money, which amazes me because I still don't know how he did it. It sure paid off for him though, with that Mazda LMP2 ride. Yeah Bomarito is very talented, I asked him how he found the budget for Atlantics, and he gave me this really big "Hell if I know" expression, and pretty much made it sound like he was really lucky to find it, without any connections etc.

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Huh, I think what happened is that Kevin agreed to "help" him but indicated he still needed more money. Oh, well. I was very happy for Jonathan when he went to FM with the SBRS money, but it still didn't do enough for him even to win a race and be close to move up, and he's a talent...

Gerardo is a hustler, more so than even both Jonathans. He's a shrewd guy and very, very good. Better than the other two, IMO. He deserved the seat shared with Devlin. He deserves more...

Jonathan has been around a LONG time and impressed a LOT of people in the FF2000 series. He did have very good equipment (I should know, I'm running one of his old single-stick motors! :)) and he has enough face time so that he was first on people's list when it came to moving on up.

It's a tough deal and unless you've got money, achieve critical mass with funding or are willing to sleep in your car and eat dog food, it's really hard to make a living at this stuff. Even eating dog food doesn't help sometimes, look at my mentor Bruce MacInnes... :D The greatest US driver never to make it to F1...

11. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow Bruce is your mentor? Haha, he told me I reminded him of JPM when I passed two cars in turn 11 at Laguna in a Skippy race. He's a really nice guy, very good instructor, but I don't know much about him. I think he was in Atlantics back in the day?

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Fords, man. When Fords were the stepping stone to F1, believe it or not. 1970-1980.

Skip Barber, Mike Rand, David Loring, Bruce, all National Champions. Even Jimmy Vasser, Mike Andretti and Al Junior. All these guys ran Fords first...

Old School. :D

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

wow pk...some names from ff and fc days of old. the good ole days! i have not seen rand in years. i hope he is well!?

pcb

14. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

You're new here. Go check the old Casey Putsch threads for your amusement. It'll be worth your while.

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Peter, Mike is running the incredibly successful Pro F2000 Series here on the East Coast. Great racing! See http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/home.cfm

Hope to see you soon.

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    High praise indeed! Bruce was instrumental in honing JPM's native talent as he went on to finish third in the 1994 Barber Pro Saab Series.

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    So, anyone know what happened to "our boy"? I didn't see his name anywhere in the qualifying or results lists. Perhaps he was forced to run incognito.

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Incognito? I think he was helping the models get out of the Antique Cars.

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    LOL!! Thank you for that!

20. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    From Chuck Brandt on page 2 ot the KIC post on TNF - With pics. I have not seen any results yet.

"One of the more facinating barn find stories to come up recently is this car. While it looks like a Lola T70 Coupe, underneath lies the rolling chassis if the McKee Mk 3 / Peregrin sports racer. (Pending confirmation using Bob McKee's chassis drawings) It's definitely an early McKee and only the Mk 1 and the Mk 3 are unaccounted for. Bob thought the bulkheads were too large for the Mk 1. The Mk 3 was designed to hold a Ford 289, Ford Quad Cam, or Ford 427 engines so the bulkheads were wider.

Owner Casey Putsch only finished putting the car back together on Wednesday and did a great job driving it in the event. His qualifying times were very good and he ran in the race with the Can Am cars, but had brake problems. I believe he intends to make an authentic new body for the car."

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #46 ProCoach, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, he was there... He finished 17th out of 24, 3rd in class (out of 3) and turned a 2:37 fast lap (class leader did a 2:22 and 2nd did a 2:27). I like the "don't let the bastards get you down" in red vinyl on the nose... :) Not sure you need goggles in a closed car...

Pic here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Sounds like he's well on his way to replace Raikkonen next year!

23. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'm sure his was the only 40 year-old car experiencing brake difficulties. Didn't Senna break into F1 by re-bodying vintage race cars his dad bought for him?

24. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    ouch! cautious times.

25. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Not to mention he was lapped.