Cars that make you LOOK rich, even if you arent :). | FerrariChat

Cars that make you LOOK rich, even if you arent :).

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bpu699, Jun 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    My wife usually drives a minivan...and she is getting frustrated, because folks keep thinking she is poor. She went into a local store, wanted to buy herself a ring, and the sales lady just looked at her and said "Dear, that costs a lot of money. Perhaps you want to look over here...these aren't real but look just as nice..."

My wife shrugged it off, because we never dress/act like we have money. There isn't any point. But it did start a nice conversation. What would you drive if you didn't have money, but wanted to look like you did???

My thoughts:

1) Older bently, some can be picked up for peanuts.

2) Older porsche

3) Any old Benz. Some of these look like steals!!!
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&cid=&dlid=&dgid=&amid=&cname=&mdnm=all&mknm=Mercedes-Benz&rd=30&zc=53402&makeid=31&modelid=&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_31_%7CB-10000%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-53402&aff=national&aff=national

I actually thought about buying one of these sub 10k benz's? What do you think? I can be a person who has money, pretending to be someone who doesn't have money, driving a car acting like I have money :).

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Don't forget older BMWs. German cars depreciate like crazy.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Are you limiting yourself to used cars?

I don't think the old Benzes make sense anymore unless you go back the early '70s or prior. Values are dirt cheap and everyone knows it.

Old Porsche 911s still have a glow to them - like you're driving a classic instead of a used car. Or the old 912, the ultimate looks-like-money-but-isn't ride.

Old Range Rovers are always classy, if you're mechanically inclined or like to visit the LR shop.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Older 911's have gone up in cost into the teens, at least.

I still can't believe how cheap a 10 year old benz is, given they were 80,000$ cars. Geesh, an older S-class for $8000?! Don't these things run for more than 130,000 miles? I am sure the ancillaries/air/etc don't work well. But how reliable is the drivetrain, etc? Awefully sharp car for under 10k!!!

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    You might find an old Lotus Esprit around. They've depreciated like little Titanics. Neat cars, though. Had one 15 years ago.

CW

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The Bently Turbo S will set you back $30K. Get the right big Benz however, with the right colors and a great wax. Now you'll look rich, or at least smart, for a song. As always, buy the best you can.

7. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    This one seems like such a gimme......

FERRARI 308 :)

As for the old MBs, snooty jewelers will know an older model, but much of the general public will see a good looking 10+ year old MB and not know it's age nor it's depreciation. At least that was my experience.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The drivetrain is very reliable.

The W140 is IMO the best MB S-class they made. But they're not inexpensive to maintain. I've had S500/S600 new and used and while they're utterly fantastic on the road, they see their fair share of shop time. Wiring harnesses, window regulators, etc... If the A/C doesn't work, it's likely the evaporator(known and COMMON problem) so figure $5000 at an independent or $8500 at a MB franchise store. Most of the under $12,000 W140's you see for sale need another $12,000 in work to bring them up to snuff...and no, I'm not talking concours....just reliable running condition where everything works as it should.

Most non-car people seem to equate just about any MB with $50,000 so I'd take a stab at an older E.

9. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    The older Benz are probably built better than a new one anyway, so I'd go for one of those. Most 'non-car' people can't tell the difference, they see a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. and some automatically assume you spent $50k+ on the car.

This is a common line I get with my 7 YEAR OLD Bimmer with 89k miles that cost me $12k:
    "Wow nice BEE-mur you must be makin' lots of money" , as they get out of their $40k pickup truck/SUV

Another one I hear from people like 944 and 8-series owners is people asking them if it's the newest model out.

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I bought a 1987 240D about 5 years ago for ~$2800.

I caught a lot of crap for driving it, "eewwww you're over charging" etc.

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    And thats why we dress "poor." Avoids a lot of grief. But, I think the jig is up. I live on a cul-de-sac, and you can see the garage from the main road. Over the last year I have had TONS of people in random conversation comment on the ferrari/porsche in the garage...not necessarily a good thing.

Went to get gas 2 days ago. Nice kid runs up and comments on the car, and mentions he has seen it in garage... I got just a bit paranoid. I try to keep the car covered, garage closed, but there is only so much you can do...

Totally off topic...but makes me think I REALLY need to hurry up and buy that secluded lake front house...

12. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Don't forget the 10yo Jaguar XJ's and Used S-Types. In my experience people either think the XJ's are 20yo or brand new and they always seem to think the S-Types are brand new (Jaguar always means expensive); add some gray hair and you would look like a million bucks! OR you could just buy used base model Dodge Magnum in black with tinted windows, put some obnoxious chrome rims from Les Schwab and ta-da your a rich rapper. It is pretty easy to mislead car-oblivious people.

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    My 1999 C5 Corvette Convertible I just sold for $20k... most people thought that was worth WAY more than that. I know a lot of people on here don't like Vette's but the styling on that car is classic. :cool:

I now have a Porsche Cayenne S SUV, and even though it costs almost 3 times what I sold the Vette for, many of my friends (that don't know cars) think I traded down.

14. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    haha the 7 series has to be the best, i picked one up for $12K a few years back, NOBODY thought i was telling the truth about how much it cost. and i never got so many "bad looks" in a car than that... people hated me in that car, i felt like a lawyer or something, only i was so lazy college student ha! it was however a great way to get out of trouble, seems like cops would never pull me over in it... could never figure that one out. same goes for any benz. people were convinced that the E500/500E cost something like $80-90K, this one girl who had a brand new passat(over $30K i think??) would not stop giving me **** for it, it "only" cost $18K for the benz... same with my first car it was an old school W126 300SEL, that i couldnt give that car away it was in such bad condition, but everyone thought it was crazy that i drove a mercedes, which in fact had a radio/system worth more than the car

i love it though, it always blows peoples minds when i tell them how "cheap" so and so car is, in fact the most expensive car my family has is a toyota 4 runner that my dad drives, and it is the worst car we have, i HATE that car

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    It won't do much good. A friend of mine had one of his neighbors make a comment about one of his trucks that was
    parked WAY out back, totally out of view from the street and blocked by a fence. His neighbor had seen the trucks on GOOGLE EARTH!!! Spy satellites are everybody's tool these days!

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I would have to say my 348. :)
    It makes me look rich, but I can tell you now that I am a long way away from being rich. I have no money at all. Just a Ferrari that makes people think that I have money. Everyone seems to think that my Ferrari is worth a fortune too. I need money!! :(:(

17. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Highly modified Supras.

Especially the MK4's with the bodykits and exhaust, those can get you the thinking.

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would say Vipers are close to the top of the list... you can get one in good shape for under $40 and most people think its new and well over $100k.

19. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    You can find a good NSX for around 30K or so.

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like Supras and know that they can be pricey with mods but in no way do I think the general public associates them with 'money'.

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #21 tervuren, Jun 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Somewhere a Honda Civic is without a muffler........LOL !!!!!!

23. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The previous generation Lexus LS 430. Reliable, quiet, and for whatever reason, people still think you're rich, even though they're in the $25K range. Previous generation BMW 7, too. Heck, you could probably work a deal in the low 20's for the current 745, but I'd make sure I'd get the extended warranty. The Jag is a good bet for this, too. People associate them with money, even though they depreciate like crazy. Don't forget the Escalade, with some 22's and preferably black.

24. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    2 friends are looking for a car. 1 goes with the brand new top of the line mercedes, and the other goes with an older rolls-royce. 1 year passes, the first has last year's benz while the other still has a rolls royce. ;)

however, you can't really go wrong with a benz/porsche/bentley/roller, imo.

25. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Just please, under ANY circumstances, don't EVER, buy another mini-van..... :eek: