Carlos Salaff Project Caden | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Carlos Salaff Project Caden

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Carlos Salaff, Apr 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carlos Salaff

Carlos Salaff Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #126 Carlos Salaff, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #127 Carlos Salaff, Jul 5, 2015
  3. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #128 Carlos Salaff, Jul 7, 2015
    A few days ago, we did a live Skype broadcast to our friends a FabCafe Tokyo. In attendance were Japanese designers and makers who are interested in Project Caden and the maker movement at large.

We did the broadcast from Pete's Custom Coachbuilding, where Project Caden's body is taking shape. Rodney did live metalshaping demos for a riveted crowd--pun intended:)

It's so cool to see how the Zeitgeist is strong on the other side of the world, and picking up steam.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #129 Carlos Salaff, Jul 8, 2015
  5. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #130 Carlos Salaff, Jul 9, 2015
  6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  7. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thanks!

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Kind of random question but where/who, how, will the windshield be made?

9. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Hey Ryan,

Good question. From my digital 3D model, I will mill out a foam "plug" of my front/side/rear glass surfaces, and create a smooth shell on it(like gel coat). From there it will go to a local place that will pull female fiberglass molds, which are used to create the final polycarbonate pieces. I chose poly for the prototype, and the plan is to make glass parts later.

I'll document the process. Your timing is good, I will start milling the foam this week:)

10. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #135 Carlos Salaff, Jul 16, 2015
    After much soul searching I've chosen the powerplant for Project Caden: the naturally aspirated S54 from the E46 M3 BMW. It's an inline-6 with a lovely, classic character.

Originally my plan was to go fully electric, or possibly a hybrid. I began running into complexity and functionality issues with both. I will still consider a hybrid in the future, and the E92 M3 V8 could also be a nice choice if more power is desired. Not to mention the S54 can be stroked to increase power/displacement.

The current plan is to first "simplify, then add lightness", and enjoy the pure, mechanical character of the S54. It gets to the heart of Project Caden, direct man-machine connection reminiscent of classic racing machines.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good choice, 6 cylinder engines sound better than v8's!
    Pete

12. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Ha! Yes Pete, the lovely music this engine makes is a big reason it was chosen.

13. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #138 Carlos Salaff, Jul 19, 2015
    As the body and chassis fabrication continues, I have been designing the interior digitally. Here's some work recently done on the steering wheel. I started with some doodles, then mocked-up the design on a Sparco. I used tape to lay out the forms over top.

Once happy with that, a photo was taken and imported into 3D. From there I further designed and modeled the forms in the computer, knowing that the basic proportion will work as it's based on my trusty Sparco:)

It feels great to get into detail work, as it's an extension of the big design themes, and a way to enhance overall depth and quality.

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Metal can get hot and cold and is hard and unyielding. Often a poor contact surface where a lot of touch and nuanced feedback are sought. There are treatments to alleviate the hot/cold issue--the Mini Cooper's gearknob now comes with the metal coated. Just an FYI.

15. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Excellent points Zack, those areas will require more consideration.

16. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #141 Carlos Salaff, Jul 21, 2015
    I've experienced a few technical issues with my milling machine--which I need to use to mill the glass molds. So while I wait on some new hardware for that, there's always something else to do!

One of those is the exhaust system. I have begun figuring out how to best design this bundle of snakes. I think that a straight back approach a la early F1 will be most elegant and simple. There is little room down low around the transmission, and I prefer do a short run, and keep the exhaust contained in the center pod. The tubing can run straight back between the coilovers(gold tubes) and out the back. Like pretty noodles:)

17. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Awesome Project !

I'm a BMW nut and IMHO the S54 is a wonderful engine, but for today's supercar standar You need at least the 400HP+ BMW V8. You can stroke it to 4.4L NA to get close tp 500HP or supercharge it. 330-340hp 6cyl has already becomes the family car benchmark nowadays,

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is not about power figures, it is about emotions and sound, and enjoyment.

Carlos, By the way: surely you are going to join those exhausts in a collector for exhaust efficiency.
    Pete

19. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    #144 lsmkr01, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    I have Been a BMW guy for many years and currently own E92 with full exhaust w/ high flow cats and BPM tune to rev to 8600 rpm. The S54 is a good engine but it is no where near as exotic and visceral as the S65/S85 engines. Also the S65 actually weights 33lbs LESS than the S54 with a way shorter block (aluminum vs cast iron) for better packaging/CG placing between the axles. I really really like the S54 and hold it as BMW's best I6 but the S65/S85 are direct descendants from the mighty S70 developed for the McLaren F1. There are mainly the same engine minus 2 cylinders each variation, dry sump which can be added and a few other tid bits. The awesome project your working on should preform and sound amazing and for the S65/85 would be perfect. IMO the S85 V10 is the greatest BMW engine behind the S70 V12 it was just a shame they crammed it into a heavy M5. It or the S65 would be amazing in your light weight supercar. In the end i'm happy to see BMW powering your car... well that or 4.0l Mezger B6 from a 997 GT3! check this link out for a good side by side comparison of the S54 vs S65 with tech data and history (S54: S54 vs. S65 - Overview, history, comparison, and power potential). >

Also I'm not sure the 3.2 S54 can be further stroked as the stroke is already larger than the bore! Not good for high reving engines. Like someone else mentioned above the S65 and S85 can be bored to 4.4/4.6 or 5.7 respectively. Heck Dinan builds an S85 pumping at over 700 NA HP in full race spec while a more civilian version will get you close to 600 with the unrivaled V10 sound! FYI 4.0l S65 with VS2 650/675 SC kit can be had very cheap for the amount of power they put out with uninterrupted sound (unlike turbo) and stock internals.

20. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Hi Pete!
    Yes, this is just the initial thinking re: headers and pathway. It will need collectors:)

21. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #146 Carlos Salaff, Jul 23, 2015

Hi Alexander, TS, and Pete,

I really appreciate your interest in helping me choose the right engine for Project Caden! I have been having very similar thoughts to you all. Even though I believe the S54 would sound great and be quite powerful in the lightweight chassis we are building, i feel in my heart that it's not exotic enough.

I will indeed be swapping out the S54 for the S85. I originally figured it could wait, but after reviewing the fitment and weight, it looks like a natural fit--so why not go for it now:)

You guys played vital role in that decision, thanks for your info and feedback. You are helping make this project special.

Cheers,
    Carlos

22. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
  23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Undoubtedly the best BMW engine, but I still love the sound of their 6's
    Pete

24. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    That S54 with the CSL airbox is a growler Pete, that's for sure:)