Carlos Salaff Project Caden | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Carlos Salaff Project Caden

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Carlos Salaff, Apr 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    very cool!

2. Carlos Salaff

Carlos Salaff Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thanks John!

3. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #278 Carlos Salaff, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With Caden's aluminum monocoque nearly complete, the rear stainless steel subframe is being constructed. The rear subframe will support the engine/gearbox and rear suspension.

These photos show the structure tack-welded together, with temporary fixtures at the front and rear. There are a few more tubes to put into the subframe, as well as the roll hoop structure on the tub. A removable cross brace will also be made for the subframe, for easier access to the drivetrain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #279 Carlos Salaff, Mar 1, 2016
    With the sides and bottom of the subframe tacked together, Caden's drivetrain is going in. the BMW V10 and Porsche 6-speed manual box are positioned, and mounts being fabricated. It's so cool to finally see the beast's heart in there:)

5. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Check out part 2 of the Core77 series "How to Build Your Own Supercar" which follows the Project Caden story.

The interview gets into the philosophy and design work-in-progress for the interior.

How to Build Your Own Supercar, Part 2 - Core77

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  7. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thanks!

8. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #283 Carlos Salaff, Mar 17, 2016
    A couple of interior shots of the in-progress digital model.

The philosophy behind the interior is to continue the exterior theme-- blending timeless values and vintage racing inspiration with progressive design.

Central seating, manual shifting, analog controls and exposed mechanicals expressed through a forward thinking and clean design language.

9. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Just curious, but why stainless? There are other steels with a lower density(lighter) that can provide just as good if not better stiffness fyi.

10. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    304 Stainless has a lot of attractive qualities that appeal to me in this application. Its rustproof quality and natural beauty without needing surface coatings fit the "naked" them of Project Caden. But it has other upsides too.

Here's a cool article about a Formula 5000 race car from the 60's called the McKee MK12. It had an all-stainless spaceframe. McKee partnered with Armco steel, who gave them the material to experiment with on their cars.

Paul Dudiak's McKee Mk12c Formula A / Formula 5000 Racecar

A paragraph graph that stands out is:

McKee Engineering found Grade 304 ("18/8") stainless steel is an excellent material for many fabricated racecar suspension parts. Obviously it doesn't rust and it doesn't need to be painted. TIG welding 304 isn't difficult, weldments don't need heat treatment (like Chrome Moly), and 304 isn't susceptible to hydrogen
    embrittlement (like chromed parts.) Tensile strength is superior to mild steel. Possibly more importantly, ductility is superior, so it's more fatigue resistant and less prone to cracking in minor accidents. It's easy to inspect for cracks and to repair. Downside? Unless you're sponsored by Armco Steel, it's expensive.

Pretty sweet vintage racecar, too.

All that said, there are other metals that I'd like to incorporate in the future, as each metal has certain qualities that serve different purposes. But for this project I even passed up CFRP because I am more concerned with creating a specific, special driving experience than getting a few more 10ths of a second per lap. If that were the case I'd put in a paddle shifter as well.

11. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #286 Carlos Salaff, Mar 18, 2016
    A snapshot of my desk and a view into the creative process behind ‪‎Project Caden‬. A pad of paper and a pen to produce quick idea sketches, and a computer to test and develop those ideas in 3d as quickly as possible. It's not a linear process, as surprises and opportunities await as soon as a sketch is experimented with in 3d.

This is a view of Caden's instrument panel, and various doodles for the gauge pod and hood.

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  13. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Kudos on the project. I truly envy you at this stage of the project.

One slight re commendation sorry observation. The top of dash being red may cause unwanted glare. (Been there ) for a road car black alcantra may be preferable.

Keep-up the great work and reports :)

14. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thanks Denis, will do!

Your comment re: glare is a concern of mine as well. As soon as the instrument panel and glass are rough-fit, I will throw something red on there to check.

Unless it causes very strong glare, i'll probably roll with it for wow-factor on the prototype/show car, but we'll see.

15. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #290 Carlos Salaff, Mar 24, 2016
    Thinking on Project Caden's track configuration.

I'm designing Caden with two settings for road and track. Some may want a dedicated track machine. It will be interesting to see what the mix of customer configurations is, especially in light of the dedicated track cars that have emerged from Ferrai, McLaren, Aston Martin and Pagani.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I wouldn't being targeting the likes of an Adrian Newey machine if I was you.

I would be marketing the emotive connection and enjoyment for your car not lap times, etc. Adrian's car will simply destroy ever other car on any track ... but also be really expensive.
    Pete

17. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #292 Carlos Salaff, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Hey Pete,

Caden is all about visceral, connected, man-machine experience. From the start the project has been inspired by 60's to 80's era racers like the Group C cars. Only makes sense to me to offer a track-oriented experience with Caden. It's the fullest expression of its inspiration.

It's not about the lap times, but the way the engine sounds, its vibrations going through your seat back and shifter, the view through the windshield etc. As you said, connection and enjoyment.

18. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #293 Carlos Salaff, Apr 8, 2016
    Developing the theme of vintage race car soul, evolved.

I spent some quality time the past couple of weeks developing the gauge cluster hood, door trim and seat pad design of Project Caden's interior.

19. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #294 Carlos Salaff, Apr 10, 2016
    A bird's eye view of interior design progress on ‪‎Caden‬.

In keeping with the theme of blending modern design with vintage values, the pilot sits on center and controls via analog connection.

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    what all the new mclarens should have had!
    awesome!!

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Have you considered ease of entry and egress? Seems even worse than the McLaren F1.

22. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Are you going to mount the gear lever high up? as otherwise the drivers elbow and passengers knee are going to clash all the time, I believe that why in the F1 the passengers seats are set back from the drivers, and also allows easier entry, exit.

I realise it is a fluid design that is evolving as it comes together but worth considering at this stage, rather than when it is actually in the metal.

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Design above shows passenger seats staggered to rear like f1

24. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #299 PAUL500, Apr 11, 2016
    The F1 layout seats the passengers further back, and at an angle so the passengers legs are not parallel to the drivers which creates the space for the console that houses the gear change.

25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    looks to be same as f1 with passenger seat starting around 1/2 seat base to the rear of driver