Carbon fiber racing seats vs Standard | FerrariChat

Carbon fiber racing seats vs Standard

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SHAG, Nov 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I'm am looking to buy some racing seats for my 2012 458 Italia but have a couple of questions I would like help with.

Are there any issues associated with swapping seats?

How much more lateral support to the racing seats provide versus the standard ones?

I am looking for black ones with red stitching. Do any of you have any good recommendations of where to get them aside from eBay? I have also looked and they classified board and do not see anything.

This is car is amazing!!!

Thanks for any help,
    Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've had both.

My guess is the rail attachment points are the same but the racing seats don't need the electrical hook ups for the motors.

Personally, I found the racing seats actually more comfortable then Daytona's. But they are a little narrower.

One bad thing I found. The passenger seat belt constantly knocks on the back of the CF seat making an annoying rattle.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have racing seats and love them.
    I looked at the car's window sticker to see size, and not there. How can I find out the size of seat for future ordering purposes? (I bought the Italia second-hand).

4. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
  5. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    The Sabelt looks more racing style than the stock race seat, lighter, and its cheaper. But don't know if it's comfortable. But it depends on your body size too.

6. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Racing seats rock!! Aside from the look - they are by far the most comfortable seats I've ever had. The other seats for me are less comfortable and the electric ones a total waste of space as to be honest, how many people are going to drive your car other than you. I've always liked the Daytona design - but in the older cars - personally I don't think they look good at all in the new cars. Some people have back issues which, I guess would bring a different perspective to what works.

7. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I definitely want to oem racing seats. I don't think the Daytona seats are that comfortable.
    Thanks for all the responses.

8. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What does the dealer charge for them ? Make sure to get the large version....I love mine.

9. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I'm still waiting to hear back from dealer. I was going to go M. How do the fit compared to gt3 buckets? I have fairly broad shoulders but only 32" waist.

10. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    when I went to spec my 458 I was lucky enough to try the three options of the seats, and we picked the Daytona, but when our arrived they don't seem as comfortable as they did in the spider that we tried out in the showroom mmmmmmmmm

11. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Im going back and forth with the racing seats and the standard ones for my 488. I had standard electric Daytonas in my f430 which were fine. In the 458 I hated the standard seat so I had to do the carbon racing in my 458. The new standard seat for the 488 actually looks really nice (on the configuration site) and I'm sort of getting sick of the carbon fad. I just wish I could actually sit in them before my build goes final next month.....what to do? What to do?

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I dont think there is a dramatic diff between s,m,l
    There was a thread in this forum not too long ago that had the measurements. L is generally recommended. Try searching this 458 forum.

13. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I read that thread. I think I'm good with either M or L.

14. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Large is better for resale if you ever decide to sell.

15. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I'm never selling this baby!!! 😁

16. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I feel the same way. I do want to add another Ferrari in a year or two...An F12 to keep the 458 company. Need to buy the bigger home/garage first.

17. sc170

sc170 Karting

Oct 5, 2012
    California
    I too would love to make the swap... Wonder if anyone wants to trade for Nero Daytona's with white stitching? ;)

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    F12 is totally wonderful. One downside - she makes the 458 feel pedestrian. I would struggle to find a reason to keep the 458 if I had an F12. Well, looks, of course....

I am still thinking my combo of 550 and 458 makes more sense than an F12. But who wants to use sense? :)

Onno

19. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    A F12 would be awesome. I tried talking my fiancé into giving me the green light. We are probably building a home in the next year so I have to wait until we get that done and paid off. I also wouldn't mind a FF, but will only do that if we build in the mountains.

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The more Ferrari's the better !

21. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Going through the same delema. I've opted for the Full electric daytona's. The GM at my dealer thinks I'll be happier with the new seat. He thinks they're that much better than ones I had in my 458.

22. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Like The Mayor always says "like Peanuts" you cant just have one :):):):):)

23. Npieko

Npieko Rookie

May 8, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    NP
    Hi, new to Ferrari and this forum but I just placed my first Ferrari tailor made order on Saturday for an F8 Spider. Doing some second guessing about my seats. I went full electric but like the aesthetics of the Carbon Fiber Race Seats.

The dealer didn’t have any available to sit in to compare so I wanted to get some perspective. Has anyone put them into an F8? Are they the same seats as the 458/488? How comfortable are they? I sat in a 458 Speciale and the seats were extremely uncomfortable in my opinion.

24. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

25. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    The F8 seats look to be the same carbon Sabelt seats since the Scud. They are just slightly different design from what I can tell visually.

As quoted they are comfortable and have done at most 3 hour trips in them and they are fine. The extra headroom is nice too.