car totaled by puddle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

car totaled by puddle

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 95spiderman, Aug 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My response was more aimed at Remix's comment about Corvette's with Cold Air Intakes.

I remember when AEM came out with the product, but I don't personally know of anyone running one. Then again, I don't personally know anyone that has hydralocked their engine while driving in the rain.

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Gotcha.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

Sorry to hear about your car. I know that old 944s often faced a similar problem because of the location of the air intake (in the wheel arch), where tires splash/spray enough water into the intake that the motor "hydrolocks".

Wonder if the Panamera has a similar intake location...

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Possibly they were talking about the C4 Corvette? I knew somebody who had this happen to him on a C4.

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its just in front of the wheel arch, not actually in it, there is(supposed) to be a piece between the two. I think its rubber. With deep enough water, and high enough speed, there will be enough water rising to hydrolock the motor. Happened several owners ago to my project '86 944.

The mechanic that bought and repaired it after it was hydrolocked, said that speed was a significant factor on top of deep water, he said it went into the giant puddle at 45MPH, came out dead.

There's a lot of rain dumping around here in the south these days, no matter what you drive, its best to 'ere on caution.

Me personally, if it was just the motor, I'd want to keep my car, and not have it totaled!!!

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Went over car in more detail today. Seems the water is a mix of rain and salt from the adjacent bay. This happened on a causeway. That makes satisfactory repair less likely

Interior smells and carpets still soaked despite 3 days hot sun. Condensation on all windows. Engine will not turn over. Value is 70k and repair over 40k so should be a total. Will be inspected wed.

Hope to get a new one this week. Wish us luck and thanks for advice

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    adjuster inspected it today and its totaled. he said it would be same even if parked and no water got inside engine. once water soaks the wiring, airbags, etc they dont want the responsibility. same for salt or fresh water.

supposed to let me know how much they will pay based on recent retail sales of same car including the tax. hoping its a fair number since car was mint. sad to know its going to be sold at auction and probably dismantled for parts.

8. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Just out of curiosity, who is your insurance company?

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ive been with geico 20 yrs and best service of any company. Im hoping that trend will continue this time

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Great news!!

Where is the 'Puddle Nazi' when you need him, "No puddles for you!!"

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    All settled with great news! Paying me much more than i would have even asked for if i was selling it pre damage. And get reimbursed for the taxes. As ive always said, geico is the best company. Didnt warren buffet have something to do with them? He knows how to pick the righ companies

Wife wants truck now so no more panamera. Had opportunity to get one yr old cayenne tt for almost same as what im getting but she didnt love it. Going with 2 yr lease on range rover. She feels has better outward visibility. Its always funny to hear whats important to non car people.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Reality is always a good thing.

13. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I remember as a kid my dad had a company car (boring) so my family only bought cars for my mom. One day my dad decided he wanted to buy my mom a much nicer car than usual, so much to my delight we drove off of to the BMW dealer. My mom kept saying they were "nice" but it was obvious she was disinterested. Then she commented that BMWs don't make that "cute, happy sound" starting up like Hondas do. So off we went to the Honda dealership and bought a new Accord EX.

My dad then took the extra money and bought himself something *he* wanted, a pristine 15,000mile final-year Fiero GT. The lesson here...it's not worth spending money on really nice cars for people who just don't appreciate them.