Car ever broke Down? | FerrariChat

Car ever broke Down?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Teenferrarifan, Sep 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My car broke down on me the other day and now it is fixed, but I get nervious about driving it now. The fuel pump went bad and the car just died as I was driving. Now, when I drive I am very nervious and keep thinking everytime I slow down that the car will stall out or something. Anyone feel this way?
    Erik

2. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I can sympathize.

About a year ago, I was stopped at a stop light and the woman behind me was not paying attention. She hit me going almost full tilt. I did not even hear her brakes.

I was paranoid for a while. I had a 2 hour commute. The whole two hours each way I was scared out of my mind.

It was not the accident, but that there was no correlation between what happened and what I was doing. It was unexpected.

It is the same with you. You are driving along and the car breaks down. It is not like you hit a guardrail and busted your radiator. It was not like you were drunk. You were just minding your own business, driving along.

It will pass in time. Just make sure that your cell phone is always charged and try to keep a normal schedule. Let people know when and where to expect you.

It might give you a sense that if happens again that you will not be stranded.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL. You young punks don't realize how good cars are today. Back in my day, you expected your car or whatever to break down. To this day, I never trust my brakes. I always tap em before I need em just to make sure...

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks guys!!! It is so wierd every little sound and every turn I keep thinking the car might just stop again. I know it will pass and I hope quickly but you know at least I have the experience of knowing that it isn't the end of the world when you break down.
    Erik

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Was that the suburban? Don't worry things break sometimes. I've had that nervous feeling before.

6. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah it needed a fuel pump right on Aaron!!!
    Erik

7. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I feel for ya, man. I was lucky enough to be in my driveway when the fuel pump crapped out on my previous car.

I also sympathize with the good Dr. Tax, having lost the master cylinder on my '70 Dodge about 2 seconds before someone in front of me decided to STOP NOW. Just a few weeks before I had upgraded my suspension with new leaf springs, gas shocks and polyurethane bushings, as well as a few new "hard parts". You've never seen an old muscle car swerve so fast!

8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    LOL!! I lost a wheel (wheel bearing explosed!) ... and still drive the same truck!

The car stalling isn't the end of the world either ... chill out. :)

9. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

When my good ol' volvo's transmission simply gave out at a nice busy intersection. The car simply locked up and the car couldn't roll backwards (even though it was on a slant) or move forward when given gas, just revved up like crazy. A few weeks after getting the tranny replaced I was nervous whenever I came to a stop and avoided coming to complete stops as much as possible. Now though it only occurs to me only when someone brings up broken down cars.

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks Everyone :)
    Erik

11. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    This is why driving crap vehicles when you're young can pay off.

You just expect them to die sometimes.

Before cell phones this was much worse.

Now AAA is a half hour wait away.