Car Event Participation Waning? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car Event Participation Waning?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by lashss, Apr 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Amelia Island Concours got compressed due to weather on Sunday this year. IMO that didn't have any real impact on the quality of the event, other than some smaller exhibits/lectures happening at the same time.

I agree the big week long shows need to become weekend shows (3 days max).

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think part of it is also the "been there, seen that" burn out as well. In Dallas there's a relatively new event that is restricted by a bouncer, but even then it's another row of late model Ferraris or Vipers or McLarens. In some ways the exotics really aren't anymore. It seems that 15 years ago all the high end cars were harder to find.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. In the 1990s, seeing a Lamborghini or Ferrari was a pretty rare sighting. Not so much anymore. Things have quickly changed it appears.

4. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    This depends on where you live. I live in the Dallas area and people follow me and record every single time I go out in my Huracan.

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    How am I missing your point when the very first thing I say is... "I am with you..."

Now I will make a counterpoint to your argument of "the point of going to a show is to see things you can't normally see" is a little inaccurate...

That is the reason YOU go to a car show. People go to car shows for all sorts of different reasons. Some is for business... some is to see what you normally don't see and to be wowed and for some its the comradely of car guys. We all go for different reasons.

I do understand where you are coming from.

Our giant ass cars and coffee which is run by some of the people on this board regulate it. You get a "pass" and an assignment to a row. Each row has a theme...I.E.... italian... german... classic etc... they also say on all the invites... just because you show up doesn't grant entry... While we love 4 door AMG sports cars and Nissan 350z... and even mustangs... unless its a black series or a shelby... you probably won't be given a spot in the show. Its a lot of hard work these guys do and money spent.

Free entertainment is never going to fit your vision...

6. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    My disagreement with you is due to your statements about all of us having to start somewhere and we aren't all rich. I get that. Yes, most of us started with something relatively basic until we could afford better. But that still doesn't make the best you can do a show car. That's all I'm saying. I spent years and years attending before I had something worthy to show.

I still contend that shows are for spectators to see unique items. If you want to hang out and talk cars with other people in the know, then join a car club. The event you attend sounds well run. My husband tried to get the event organizers in Dallas to do something like that but they refuse, so myself and many, many, many other people in the area with great cars never bother to go.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I see a lot of teens not interested in driving all together.

At least one girl I coach isn't interested (17 years old) and I know my nephew (19 years old) doesn't have a license. My assistant coach's son (18 years old) also doesn't have a license. When I was that age, I couldn't WAIT to get mine!!!

According to this article, it's across all ages, but clearly if younger people are forgoing their licenses, they definitely AREN'T interested in cars or car-related events.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/the-decline-of-the-drivers-license/425169/

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    They have been saying that for decades.

Also, kids these days don't have the money. They don't have jobs... or at very least don't have jobs to afford enthusaist kind of cars that would go to car shows. cars are EXPENSIVE now a days... and most millenials are still at home in mom and dads guest room trying to pay off college debt. They have lost buying power. Once restored through a professional type of job or career... I assure you... some will come back to the dark side

Now... it also depends on where you look.

Youtubers are young... and most have AMAZING cars and the have a massive following. There are more people on youtube watching stuff about cars than the velocity channel and the overwhelming majority of the content is produced by young people and it is watched by young people.

There are more viewers on a smaller you tube channel than there are on CNN.

These surveys can be flawed in the manor where they take them.