car design thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Interesting article on Packard.

Dick Teague said that in the dying days he was taking drawings and "stuff" out of Packard by putting it on top of his air cleaner. Security at the gate looked inside the interior and the trunk but not underneath the hood. Said that things were devolving so quickly that items would have already been destroyed if he had waited to get permission.

That 1957 Packard clay is awful. Way, way too plain and predictable. Whole body side is virtually an extrusion. The upper and lower look like two different groups worked on it.

The sports car had a real nice nose and transition to the side but then the side and roof look like a camel of competing ideas. Strangely the nose could have been under Exner while the side and roof was the worst of a Ford approach to design.

Jeff

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #78 jm2, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    John,

So in your professional opinion which ones did the most credible solutions? I am seeing that some make "noise" about their use of the engine package but then missed the opportunity to maximize the extreme difference of the powerplant package.

Jeff

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I think several did a credible job of using the OPOC engine's unique packaging to solve the problem. Others maybe not so much.I'm a bit biased since I was on one of the teams :D

The judges,Jack Telnack,Tom Gale,Wayne Cherry & Jay Leno had their own criteria.
    Today's announcement will speak to that.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    interview with some members of the design team that did the new Golf :
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3EGrKwIlw[/ame]

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    So who was decared the winner and was their decsion prcess discussed?

Jeff

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    CCS won 1st place & 2 honorable Mentions
    the 1st place was the silver C-Segment Sedan by Brian Malczewski (CCS)
    Art Center won 2nd & 3rd
    regarding the judging criteria,we were told the judges were looking to see which cars took best advantage of the unique packaging of the OPOC powerplant along with a credible package
    looking good I would think played a part as well :)

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  10. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I saw footage of the premier of the VII in one of the European shows. A bunch of designers from China immediately broke out the measuring tapes and started jotting down numbers for everything from steering wheel diameter, to how far the telescoping mechanism comes out. The thing isn't even for sale yet, and it's being copied.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    you'd be amazed at how often that happens...

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Congratulations! Manage to get a grin at Stu for CCS vs ACC?

Certainly would expect Telnack, Gale and Cherry to view good aesthetics as a key element in their evaluation.

Jeff

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It's difficult at times to be competing with ACCD.
    Without them,I wouldn't have been able to do what I do,simple as that
    But there's nothing like winning......particularly against Stew & his crew :D

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, there are conflicted emotions but it a real competition between the schools these days. In our days ACCD was clearly superior.

I was aquainted with Stu when I did the program at Chrysler. I remember him talking how he lst out in the original theme selection for the 024 but then won the subsequent choices to make the design like his original theme anyway. Those were some dark times at Chrysler - employee dining room has the sales figure charts updated every week and al they showed were declining numbers. Hal Sperlich was trying to create Chryslerized Fords and Iaccca would arrive in about 1 year.

Jeff

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes,indeed
    CCS was then called Society of Arts and Crafts,and had a very small Trans program
    times have changed

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    just got my copy of this book and IMO I think they did an excellent job covering the top 9 Design leaders:

Authors Bart Lenaerts and Lies Del Mol
    Publisher Waft
    ISBN 978-9081482042
    Price €60
    Available from http://www.waft.be/

There are surprisingly few books dedicated to car designers and fewer still that scratch below the surface of the slick, sharply-suited PR messages that have elevated today's top creatives to front men of many brands.

The guys from Waft see things differently. They first came to our attention with their book Belgian Car Designers, profiling the surprising number of their countrymen holding top design seats. This time charming husband and wife team Bart Lenaerts and Lies Del Mol have looked beyond the Belgian border for their latest title Masters of Modern Car Design.

The 252-page hardback's cover reads "Ever since I was a young boy I've been drawing cars", perfectly encapsulating the tone of the book. It's a fascinating insight into the personalities and career journeys of nine of the most powerful men in car design – Walter de' Silva, Ed Welburn, Lorenzo Ramaciotti, J Mays, Peter Schreyer, Jean-Pierre Ploué, Adrian Van Hooydonk, Laurens van den Acker and Gorden Wagener.

From a photograph of Laurens van den Acker driving a toy truck across the dining table as a young boy to the tale of how Ed Welburn, when handed a drawing of a car by a kid in a restaurant asked his design team to develop them into a series of 3D renders, it's packed full of new and unique perspectives. A group of more different men would be hard to find, yet at their cores they are all, it seems, car guys.

It's not all gushy childhood stories either, these mens' character quirks are laid bare in black and white too. Wagener, for example is described as "Ambitious and very self-confident. Polarising as well," backed up by his quote: "I'm quite confident I will never draw something ugly". Peter Schreyer, meanwhile is "A loner at heart. Mysterious. A Man in black". It's as if you were sat across the interview table from them yourself, peering through their designer specs.

Beyond the personality insights this book is also a fantastic compendium of the life's work of these men, meticulously detailed and fastidiously researched, not to mention beautifully designed and reproduced.

As you may be able to tell, we're big fans of this unique title. At €60 it's also somewhat of a bargain.

© 2012 Car Design News LtdLast updated: 10 Dec 2012

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Does everyone like the vent behind the front wheels on the 4 coupe? It strikes me as rather un-BMW. Otherwise, that's a fine looking vehicle.

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    not my favorite part of the car :D

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Right out of the Panamera playbook...

rather un-BMW, agreed, and I feel very un-Porsche also.

"Hey, let's put a piece of chrome there!"

The car is LESS successful because of it.

23. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Fascinating design/rendering thread over on American Muscle: very appropriate for this thread too...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393992

I see a lot of Stingray cues in what the designer/renderer did there, maybe he just dissected one and began morphing.....interesting idea at any rate.....

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    IMO,just too much '63 Vette for me,almost looks like a caricature of the Stingray
    and the detailing is very heavy handed
    but since it's a one off.......no problem I guess :)

25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Agree with John that it is a warmed over iteration of a Stingray. Chevy did that one better.

See my comments in the original thread about it not being representative of Chryco in 1967 and how there are other issues with the design being correct for the period.

Nice Photo Shop skills though.

Jeff