car design thread | Page 296 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Most people right out of school do not know what a real car is (but they are very confident that they do)

jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Could you not nudge them in the direction you want with the experienced designers at the top of the chain?

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    In general I would want to avoid the newbies, but, of course, when someone super talented comes along you snatch them up.

of2worlds and NeuroBeaker like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Anyone interested in the history and origins of car design/styling, this book is great.
    Tells the story of how Harley Earl started the whole profession of car design back in the late 1920's. Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and anunakki like this.
  5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I read the review , maybe it was in the NY Times. I was surprised it said Harley was so profane (I thought that was Mitchell's thing..).. I wonder if Harley, when enticed by GM to come out from the West in '27, was promised a salary far more than was customary in Detroit at the times. Also he gave a Cadillac two seater (LeMans) to Marie "The body" MacDonald. I wonder what his wife had to say about that? I think a big coup in PR was when he loaned Eisenhower the LeSabre dream car to drive around in Yurrip, thus showing those snobby Euros that america had designers too...Love to hear some Harley Earl stories...

6. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This came up as a YouTube recommendation for me:

For once, the recommendation was actually kinda cool. I wonder why that kind of door hasn't caught on.

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Notice the the inner door panel has no features (no armrest, no pocket, no side impact door beam) just a smooth curved surface. Basically there is no room under the occupant/floor to put something as thick as a door. Real doors with features are actually quite thick. Could be cool on a minimalist kit car or something. It also requires frameless glass. Overall it is very limiting.

jm2 likes this.
  8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Armrest: put it on the seat.

Side airbag: on the seat. (E.g. MINI)

Frameless glass: e.g. MINI

Door pocket: usually useless, can't even put a manilla folder in most without bending it. Delete the useless thing.

Window controls: put them on the center console (again, e.g. MINI)

The only thing I see as iffy us the crash structure, which might be expensive to make thin enough. But I'm sure it's not technically impossible.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I think you would find a plain door panel incredibly ugly in a very boring way, but yes it is doable. Armrest on seat is a common show car feature that never makes it anywhere because it creates ingress/egress issues. Door pockets are great for water bottles etc. We use ours constantly. It would definitely have to be on an expensive car (complex electric door, exotic door beam etc) so it would be a tough sell. I will fall back to my previous comment that it would be very limiting. (And not much benefit)

jm2 likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    $$$

they've been showing this concept since the late '80's.
    There's a reason it hasn't been adopted.
    As Qvb/John pointed out, the drawbacks outweigh the attributes.
    At least for now.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If ever implemented, I think this type door might be more practical on an SUV where there is plenty of ground clearance and rocker panel height to accommodate the mechanism. However, the design seems best suited to 2-door vehicles rather than 4-door vehicles due to the critical importance of the "B" pillar area to support the rear of the door. If only one large door were applied on SUVs, the second seat passengers would probably feel cheated having less ingress/egress area with a conventional door. Rear doors seem to be problematic due to being adjacent to the rear wheel wells.

jm2 likes this.
  12. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB

They had tailgates like that.

Judging by the sounds, this one is in dire need of maintenance...

13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Glad GM was able to take the concept to production and refine it for practical use.

Back in 1964, Ford had the Aurora concept station wagon (which seems crude to the GM application). Ford's clamshell design was for access to the "children's seat."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

But that's exactly what the video shows... large 2 doors for both front and rear access... looked like good access in the video... the rear passengers don't look cheated at all...

15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes! The clamshell works great on a 2-door coupe or convertible since the door cut opening can be extended much further rearward towards the rear wheel well. Presently, doors must end about the front seat back to avoid having a 6-foot-plus long door that would be heavy to operate and couldn't be opened enough in most garages. Note the Audi door cut example and the additional foot of space to enlarge the door opening

However, on a 4-door vehicle, the rear door opening typically utilizes part of the area above the wheel well for access. Since the clamshell can't run under the wheel well or thru it, the clamshell would result in about half the opening area available for rear passengers to access. See red SUV example below. Yes, children could probably still squeeze into the back with half the opening, but adults would certainly complain. That was the point I was trying to make- some vehicles may be too short to provide much advantage for the rear seat.

However, on a longer vehicle like a Lexus LS 500, there may be enough room to make the clamshell idea practical.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Guessing you did not watch the video... will open fine in a garage... no side clearance to speak of... watch the video...
    If it wil open on the Lincoln... works on an Audi.

17. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    My comment was referring to existing car doors and not the clamshell design not working in garages.

Presently, doors must end about the front seat back to avoid having a 6-foot-plus long door that would be heavy to operate and couldn't be opened enough in most garages.
    Otherwise, you have this if long doors need to swing too much in narrow spaces:

18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 likes this.
  19. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Love the Rivian truck!

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    .....but don't love the $60K entry-level pricing........o_O

21. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    I've read the "entry truck" is actually the top of the line offering, in other words, they'll enter the market with their absolute best foot forward and then later add less expensive models/battery options. If that is the case, it's actually priced competitively. Yeah,we're in a world of 60-70k "luxury" pick ups, denalis, platinums, etc.

jm2 likes this.
  22. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Love that cross-bed rear storage compartment pictured in the article. These guys are really thinking outside the box! (no pun intended)

of2worlds and Qvb like this.
  23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The Rivian sounds interesting, but I wonder why so many fully electric offerings go for the enormous dash-mounted iPad-type interface rather than actually having some buttons and dials on the dashboard.

Given the size of trucks and their ride quality, you cannot easily lean across the cabin with an outstretched hand and be precise where you poke with your finger to change a setting. Voice control is variable at best, a little distracting to use, and much slower than a simple button that you can seek out by tactile senses. These kinds of vehicles would be vastly improved by incorporating more real buttons on the dashboards.

All the best,
    Andrew.

ModernLou, anunakki and energy88 like this.